KitKat: Location settings annoyances

Search This thread

kokotron

Mar 11, 2011
Athens
bcm.servebeer.com
Hi there. For the last couple of weeks it seems that my Google Maps is having trouble getting a coarse location in battery saving location setting. I mean, it might work for some time, then after a few hours it will be all like "Waiting for location...". Locus Pro maps have similar trouble too (EDIT: No it doesn't!) ... BUT... BUT... Foursquare seems to get the coarse location just fine. The rest of the apps (maps etc.) will come around too after a reboot. I noticed this happening after a CM11 nightly, but since then I've deleted everything at some point and installed Paranoid Android and this issue persisted. Has anybody else experienced this? Also, isn't it extremely annoying that this Google agreement pops up every single time you switch location off/on? This can't be on purpose. Anyway, I'm curious of your experience with KitKat roms and coarse location behavior and other stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I think it always like that for me. For google map, you need to switch to high accuracy for it to lock quickly. After the first lock on, then, you can use other mode (device only or battery saving).

kokotron

Mar 11, 2011
Athens
bcm.servebeer.com
I always had great and fast precision with just the wifi on (when in the city, of course), no need to turn on the real gps (unless I'm looking for directions or doing some running). Now I have to reboot to recover, so this is not normal. Something obviously happens mid-day, I still haven't pinpointed what/when, that breaks this, until next reboot.

Last edited:

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I have found that if I switch off/on location entirely OR switch from WiFi/mobile location to GPS only and then back to WiFi/mobile location then my location cannot be found by Google maps or android device manager (haven't tried any other location based apps to see if they also fail to work).

I have to reboot or clear google play services data to get my WiFi/mobile location to work again.

Note this is on a moto g phone not a nexus 4 but to me it seems like the issue the OP described. Maybe a KitKat bug.

Last edited:

boardlord

Apr 16, 2006
I have found that if I switch off/on location entirely OR switch from WiFi/mobile location to GPS only and then back to WiFi/mobile location then my location cannot be found by Google maps or android device manager (haven't tried any other location based apps to see if they also fail to work).

I have to reboot or clear google play services data to get my WiFi/mobile location to work again.

Note this is on a moto g phone not a nexus 4 but to me it seems like the issue the OP described. Maybe a KitKat bug.

EXACTLY the same on my N4 :(