S4 firmware question

Search This thread

scheirere

Aug 31, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my brother's GS4 to work with his Ford Sync system in his vehicle. According to Ford, the GS4 with ME7 firmware is compatible. However, his rooted phone is on MDK firmware. Can I install that firmware on his phone and will it limit what rom's I can run on it?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my brother's GS4 to work with his Ford Sync system in his vehicle. According to Ford, the GS4 with ME7 firmware is compatible. However, his rooted phone is on MDK firmware. Can I install that firmware on his phone and will it limit what rom's I can run on it?

If that phone is on MDK it can run anything really without an issue. A ton of options are available for it. I'd suggest a Kit Kat ROM myself... Unless your in love with a certain ME7 based ROM .

Does that phone have a custom recovery on it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: scheirere

scheirere

Aug 31, 2012
If that phone is on MDK it can run anything really without an issue. A ton of options are available for it. I'd suggest a Kit Kat ROM myself... Unless your in love with a certain ME7 based ROM .

Yep, TWRP 2.7.0.1 recovery. It currently is running the AOSP Google Edition ROM, which he is happy with. Can I just change the firmware to ME7 and keep everything else the same?
Thanks!!

scheirere

Aug 31, 2012
BTW, that rom is a kitkat 4.4.2 based ROM.

Also, I forgot to ask......If I change the firmware, can I change back if need be? Any downsides to changing from the MDK firmware?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Yep, TWRP 2.7.0.1 recovery. It currently is running the AOSP Google Edition ROM, which he is happy with. Can I just change the firmware to ME7 and keep everything else the same?
Thanks!!

I'm thinking that maybe Ford Sync works with everything from ME7 and up. I don't think you need to specifically be on ME7.

I've seen others on here running Kit Kat ROMs and having no problems with Ford Sync.

Your list of ME7 based ROMs isn't going to be that big. However you have many many options of 4.3 ( MJ7 & MK2 ) and 4.4 ( NC5 ) ROMs to choose from.

What ROMs have you tried? Some have minor Bluetooth connectivity issues

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

Also, I forgot to ask......If I change the firmware, can I change back if need be? Any downsides to changing from the MDK firmware?

If you flash a firmware. ..you will lose the mdk. ..so don't do that...you can flash others roms and kernels that won't effect the firmware.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

scheirere

Aug 31, 2012
Thanks a bunch guys! That's what I was afraid of, regarding the firmware. Hmm......he was running a different rom before when he had all the issues. We just went to this rom recently and he went back to his GS3 until I could sort this phone out. I'll have him try the GS4 again with this rom and see if it works any better. Thanks again!!

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I'm thinking that maybe Ford Sync works with everything from ME7 and up. I don't think you need to specifically be on ME7.

I've seen others on here running Kit Kat ROMs and having no problems with Ford Sync.

Your list of ME7 based ROMs isn't going to be that big. However you have many many options of 4.3 ( MJ7 & MK2 ) and 4.4 ( NC5 ) ROMs to choose from.

My GS4 has worked with Sync when running ME7, MI1, MJ7, MK2, and NC5. Never had any issues since I got the phone.
(Sure wish it had been a MDK phone, of course.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!!

If you flash a firmware. ..you will lose the mdk. ..so don't do that...you can flash others roms and kernels that won't effect the firmware.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom