missed calls, phone never rings

Search This thread

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
So my wife's captivate glide seems to have this problem:
- her glide (everything is stock) often never rings when someone calls her. No missed call notification, just a voicemail if the person decides to leave one.
-yesterday at home I called her phone from both my cell (motorola Atrix, HSDPA) and landline...no ring. Immediately afterwards from my landline to my Atrix, phone rings. Signal strength is around -70dBm for both the Glide and Atrix. I turned on airplane mode on the glide and then off. Called again from our landline and the phone rings on the glide.

Is it the cell tower? phone?

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
ringer volume is on...the glide was in front of me while I was dialing it from our landline or from my Atrix. The glide did not pop up the incoming call screen or ring until I turned on/off airplane mode, which is not a suitable workaround.

cell signal strength from my atrix shows -83 to -91 dBm. cell tower is ~488m away (using the open signal app)

helpslip

Mar 25, 2011
Great Lakes
my dads phone (a basic nokia on at&t) does this on occasion the phone has to be rebooted & it works fine. it happens after he goes to their summer home (300 miles away & in a rural area w/ LOTS of at&t dead spots). it does appear to be a tower/roaming type thing.

Lookin4Trouble

Jan 26, 2012
phone often never rings when someone calls. No missed call notification, just a voicemail if the person decides to leave one.

I've summed this up as an AT&T issue. Have been with them since the Cingular days and every phone I've ever had with them has exhibited this behavior. Making the switch to T-Mobile now that I can get an unlimited everything plan for $60/month :)

L4T

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
I've summed this up as an AT&T issue. Have been with them since the Cingular days and every phone I've ever had with them has exhibited this behavior. Making the switch to T-Mobile now that I can get an unlimited everything plan for $60/month :)

L4T

Thing is for when I did my test, my phone (Atrix) got the incoming call from our landline and my wife's phone (Glide) did not. Both have the same band support, maybe the Glide was on a different band?

Sep 15, 2010
My wife's phone has the same problem!

My wife's phone has the same problem! She complains about it all the time, and I have no idea what to do. Everything is stock.

It regularly doesn't ring. Like more than twice chunks of time a week.

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
I do notice that the Glide goes from HSPA to UMTS to HSDPA (in Status->Mobile Network Type) when I enable and then disable airplane mode. The Atrix stays on HSPA when I enable and then disable airplane mode.

I think when the Glide was not receiving calls it was in UMTS. Atrix was in HSPA.

sjbotha

Nov 21, 2007
I know someone else with a Blackberry on AT&T that has this problem sometimes. My Glide on AT&T had this problem the other day. I think it's a network thing.

At least if you use Google Voice for voicemails you will always get an e-mail that you missed a call even when the phone doesn't even show a missed call and the caller doesn't leave a voicemail.

eddiert

Jul 7, 2007
Mine has periods of time where it will do this, maybe an afternoon or a full day, then it goes away. Not often maybe once every couple of months. I suspect it is the carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mahmoudgazzar

Feb 15, 2009
I had the same problem and for me, I found that "viper" program is causing it... It takes hold of the phone functionality and prevents the android phone app from triggering the ring and lighting the screen ... I unistalled it and every thing is back to noramal :):good:

cjdafif

Mar 10, 2006
Me and the Mrs have the same problem all the time. There is no telling how many calls we miss.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013

L4T

I'm with Lookin4Troubleon this one and think this is an AT&T issue (who I have also been with since Cingular).

New Motorola Atrix HD, working fine, left on a desk in a well serviced area having never left range of the tower to which it is connected. After a period of time although the phone shows full bars and a 4G connection, when a call is dialed from the phone it realizes that it is not on any network and re-initializes it's network connection, going through the various icons and network types until it gets to 4G and then the call goes out. While the phone is in that limbo state (full bars and 4G icon but not actually connected to the network) incoming calls go straight to voice-mail and no alerts for missed calls or voice mails are sent to the phone... until the process of making an outgoing call from the phone forces it to re-find the network - then incoming calls and voice mail alerts function... until the next instance. This happens several times a day and I have been unable to logically connect the problem it to any activity starting at the phone.

In the early days of 3G this used to happen a lot because the phones (referring to Motorola Razer V3xx) were unable to cleanly release a tower going out of range and attach to a tower coming into range as you traveled. Compounding the problem was the fact that the phones would not fall back on a different network band as they should have when the 3G connections were bad... because bad 3G connections were not being detected by the phone.

Same sh!t, different day! The new generation of 4G phones on AT&T are as bad as ever at falling back to the older network type when needed AND somehow the combination of AT&T and Motorola have managed to recreate this problem on stationary phones in good coverage areas. GOOD GRIEF.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Working my way through some tech levels at Motorola and AT&T. I've always suspected that this has to do with the phone not properly switching between the various networks it uses for calls and data, and to my amazement AT&T leaned towards blaming their own service issues along those very lines of thought. They seem to be having issues managing their 4G LTE stuff. If their next round of escalation does not find an answer I'm going to try forcing WCDMA connection (4G without LTE) to see if the issue relates to the toggle off/on of the LTE component. The LTE indicator is on for data and off for calls and there is a brief moment where the signal dips to zero bars during the transition. The 2 screenshots below show network state during a "4G" call and after call has ended. Perhaps this is where the problem lies. For anyone interested in testing this way, you can use LTE Setting by Ryo Ueshima. Even though that app was developed for Sony Xperia I've used to to test forcing of GSM/Edge and 4G (no LTE) on my Atrix HD. Resets after restart of phone and perhaps at other times, and may behave differently on different providers - also there are some buttons in that app which you don't want to click on without first noting the default value.

Network State During "4G" Call
View attachment 1787153

Network State After Call (after transition from 4G to 4G LTE)
View attachment 1787154

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts