[Q] portable charger or extended battery?

Search This thread

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
i am going on a travel abroad... will be using camera and camcorder a lot and wifi.... what do you recommend? a portable charger or extended battery? i want a cheap solution..preferably available from ebay

budget : not more than $30-34

scutworker

Jan 5, 2010
I've just come back from holiday and had a portable charger. It was useful, but I often found that the battery would hardly last the day and there wouldnt be any place to charge it (you don't really want to be back in your hotel when you could be out sight seeing). Rather than trying to find a socket, I'd just get an extended battery. You can just swap it over and continue your fun rather than rooting around for power.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
if i buy an extended battery i need to also buy a seperate battery charger so that i can charge the 2 batteries at the same time :(

about_ar

Jan 10, 2011
Dubai - UAE
it depnds how you'll spend your time.
but you can swap the battaries on the phone to charge them.
Normally charging the battary will last 1 hour.
again it depnds about the places you'll visit.

langers1

Apr 10, 2009
How many mAh are you planning on using per day? An extended battery will give you 3000mAh compared to the 1400mAh on the original battery. A decent portable charger will give you 5000mAh.

The only down side of using the portable charger is waiting for the battery to charge, most will do that at 500mAh so 3 hours to totally charge the normal desire battery from flat. However while the extended life battery has died the charger will still have about 1.5 charges left in it.

1 thing to point out unless you get a solar charger some portable charges will only charge from USB so make sure you have a way to charge that when out and about

I would get the potable charger (and remember to put it on charge when you have a spare min throughout the day) as when you replace your phone you cant really do much with the extended battery with your new phone, least the portable charger can be used over and over again.

Reactions: tdotM

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
i finally opted for a spare battery solution. I bought an oem battery for desire/nexus one. and i will buy a battery charger so that i can charge both batteries when i go to sleep so that they are both ready the next day :)

sphp

Mar 5, 2012
Get a big battery, it's better than changing between batteries. As well you have to carry the portable charger when you travel. And you have to charge it, too.

So the extended battery should last one day (except you use GPS all time) and you can charge phone when you sleep.

Cirunz

Jul 18, 2010
Rome
www.giocaroma.it
I use a proporta turbocharger and I found it more usefull 'cause I can spare it with my friends with Desire HD, iPhone 4 and LG Optimus 7: with 2 of this we managed to stay all charged all day long and recharged both of them in hotel during the night.

Weimar-zero

Aug 30, 2011
For a trip is a Extended 3000mAh Li-Ion Battery a good solution. It comes with battery cover. Price about 25 $

For the daily use, its too big for me. :D

agismaniax

Dec 20, 2009
Jakarta
can aosp/sense kernel recognize bigger extended battery? afaik, there is a problem when charging bigger extended battery.
in my personal opinion, the standard battery (htc original) is much better than other and my desire remain slim. and if i travel, i prefer to use big portable charger to charge the handset when is not used. and charge them both when i sleep.

Last edited:

bliblablub

Jul 21, 2008
Bavaria
Redmi K20 Pro
Most batteries with lots of ampere just have them as a tag... Check this site for information:
http://batteryboss.org/

I suggest you buy another original battery as from time any battery will lose capacity and this way you are flexible.
To charge you can buy a cable designed for charging the smartphone from your car e.g. HTC CC-C200 or the car dock from my signature.
Why you should use this: The data line is used for power and not for data and therefor the charger is recognized as a wall charger, not as usb cable. Thus recharge is lots faster (with 1000 mAh) than with any 3rd party charger/cable with 500 mAh although the charger itself could give you 1000 mAh (USB specifications!).

drabbster

Sep 6, 2011
I'd go with an portable charger because you don't acutally need to restart your phone when plugin it in.

xristosdino

Nov 26, 2007
Patras
Most batteries with lots of ampere just have them as a tag... Check this site for information:

I suggest you buy another original battery as from time any battery will lose capacity and this way you are flexible.
To charge you can buy a cable designed for charging the smartphone from your car e.g. HTC CC-C200 or the car dock from my signature.
Why you should use this: The data line is used for power and not for data and therefor the charger is recognized as a wall charger, not as usb cable. Thus recharge is lots faster (with 1000 mAh) than with any 3rd party charger/cable with 500 mAh although the charger itself could give you 1000 mAh (USB specifications!).

Thank you very much for the info.
I use a car charger (not HTC) which gives 1000 mAh and even with the original cable that came with desire, charging is slow. If I get this right, it is fault of the cable, right?

bliblablub

Jul 21, 2008
Bavaria
Redmi K20 Pro
Thank you very much for the info.
I use a car charger (not HTC) which gives 1000 mAh and even with the original cable that came with desire, charging is slow. If I get this right, it is fault of the cable, right?
I suppose, best is you try it yourself - maybe a mate got one. As you may know USB allows only 500 mAh, using that secial cables that don't comply with USB (as they only charge) the producer can avoid this restriction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How many mAh are you planning on using per day? An extended battery will give you 3000mAh compared to the 1400mAh on the original battery. A decent portable charger will give you 5000mAh.

The only down side of using the portable charger is waiting for the battery to charge, most will do that at 500mAh so 3 hours to totally charge the normal desire battery from flat. However while the extended life battery has died the charger will still have about 1.5 charges left in it.

1 thing to point out unless you get a solar charger some portable charges will only charge from USB so make sure you have a way to charge that when out and about

I would get the potable charger (and remember to put it on charge when you have a spare min throughout the day) as when you replace your phone you cant really do much with the extended battery with your new phone, least the portable charger can be used over and over again.