orange touch 3G help

Search This thread

paperclip69

Apr 13, 2008
Crosshill, Fife
Hi

Just got this phone through today and I quite like it but i hate what orange have done to it. this whole unique manager etc is a big pile of the steaming smelly stuff you have no idea if it's using wifi or your data mins!

so really what i won't to know is does any one know how to get rid of this and if you can't can someone point me in the direction of a decent Rom for it and a guide to flashing it, I wan't a rom thats reasonably close to the htc original, but also if all goes wrong and i have to send it back to orange for a fault can it be put back to the original orange rom.

I have tried searching but i am a little overwhelmed by all the posts and roms, I don't want to get it wrong on my first one and totaly ruin my nice shiny phone.

oh why did orange have to mess with it?

cheers

Tom

paperclip69

Apr 13, 2008
Crosshill, Fife
hi

thanks for the info it was really helpful in explaining, but i can't see any links to touch 3g roms. i assume it's not the same rom as the diamond.

cheers

Tom

mjashdown

Aug 15, 2007
Orange Issue

I am also having problems as I can not connect to any WIFi and can not find a way of changing the Wifi Power management.

mjashdown

Aug 15, 2007
Orange

I have had a call from Orange and the suggestion was to have a look at the HTC Web site and see if there was anything to help there.

paperclip69

Apr 13, 2008
Crosshill, Fife
I have just spent the last 3 days reading this site (don't tell the boss) and i have just this moment burned a fairly original htc rom on to it so that i can get rid of all the orange stuff.

so far it's much better and i get the msn messenger back as well, have a look at the jade part of this forum, you need to install hardspl which will enable you to dump the rom and install the new one on the phone, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=483465

then dump the current rom for backup http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=448776

now download and use this Kitchen http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=441872 in this package you have all the files to make the original htc rom and also restore your backup rom.

just have a read of some of these threads and you will be able to go back to htc original rom. you will need to do some leaps of faith with some of it, but i have just done it and it's worked fine, I made sure i had the backup though!

cheers

Tom

BexxBexx

Apr 2, 2009
Ipswich
Hi Tom, just wanted to say thanks for the links and info - I've now successfully flashed one of ironeagle's lean-cut ROMs and the awful Unique Manager is gone! :D

I have a stock Touch Diamond as well and the performance of the 3g with the Orange ROM in comparison was dreadful. This new one is nice and zippy.

xda-kungfu

Apr 29, 2009
Ironeagle’s ROMs

Hi BexxBexx

Did you simply run JadeHard-SPL_V41 and then install one of Ironeagle’s ROMs
I presume that this will remove all the Orange rubbish and become SIM free?
I also presume that GPS and WIFI are all working ok?

Thanks
Dave

GasGasGreg

May 25, 2009
Does UMA/Unique Still work with HTC Rom

Hi, I also have Orange HTC Touch and do find the Unique/WiFi control unclear as to what service it is using, I have no signal at home so I know it has to be using the wifi despite the phone saying 3G. I wondered if those who have tried different ROM's have still got the use of Orange Unique/UMA i.e. can make calls & SMS's via the wifi network. I have to have this facility as no signal at home. I had blackberry's before & they were great for using the WiFi but I read that if you removed the orange branding (e.g. had an unlocked phone) you lost this however I did use BB OEM updated ROM & was still OK but underneath I still got the orange startup so assume still branded. Also very easy to restore previous firmware if problems. BB (RIM) released about 5 or 6 updated firmwares over about a year, Orange Never released any specific so I am not holding breath for HTC/Orange ROM. HTC do have an updated one on their WWW but if I put my serial number in says not suitable. V. Strangely at home 90% time I get the green house OK saying wifi conencted & can phone/sms fine using this but if I try to connect to the internet it say no connection, try again a few minutes later after some swithing on/off and it might work. No set pattern to make it work.

Damien82

Apr 29, 2009
i would be very keen to know if this works as well with regards to retaining UMA ability once orange software has been removed

GasGasGreg

May 25, 2009
Just a small follow up, does not help me but the more info the better - I found on digitalspy forum that someone had located WLan settings on the htc touch 3g.

Basically File Explorer/Windows/WLANSettings there is a little more info & you can change the Power settings - I had read others benefited by changing power save mode to best performace they got a better wifi connection, Mine was on best battery & changed to Best Performance, but I still do not get a reliable connection to my WiFi, but it may lead onto something.

Not bothered me much before as unlimited data anyway but been in Italy and and wanted to use the hotel wifi but not being able to turn off gsm I could not be sure what network it was using and would have cost a fortune on EU roaming data charges so simply could not risk using the phone for any browsing.

doublegandt

May 12, 2009
Thanks

This forum is the best!

Just got rid of the Orange branding. As a minimum is now says "WiFi" instead of Unique Phone and no annoying Orange World references. And Google Maps is on as standard!

I called Orange before I did it to for info on Unique Phone. They dont know a lot! They think you have to be connected via an Orange router - which I dont have anyway. But they are not sure.

From what I can make out Unique Phone is UMA. Re previous post - don't know if it still works after de-branding (or if it work before de-branding!) because I dont know how to tell if it is working! No indications AFAICS. I would have thought there would have been settings for UMA - server etc. Or am I being thick!

Anyway - here is a question ..................off topic but relevant I think! (Ok - shoot me down then!)

I have just changed tarriff to included unlimited internet. I had a e650 before (de-branded that one also!) and used wifi all the time but I have never ever used internet via GSM ever.

So the question.....how do you know what you are using to access the internet if your wifi is on? Does it favour wifi if it is connected? The reason I want to know this is so that I do not use GSM internet while roaming abroad.

Thanks again guys for all your hard work. In a way I am glad Orange mess about with the phones - gives us something to search for on 'tinternet !

GasGasGreg

May 25, 2009
Not really helping you but for info. to others from my experience.
The Touch 3g, "Unique" is UMA and works surprisingly well. 95% of time it connects for calls & sms's (I know its using the router as I don't have GSM signal at home) I have Orange broadband with a livebox and it all routes through this although the phone actually connects to a Buffalo router so you can us AP's and increase range very well & easily'ish.

The bizarre thing I find is despite the phone clearly connecting via wifi for calls etc. the internet only works 60% of the time, I think the rest of the time because it can't find a gsm signal is complains. A restart, few fiddles with settings and it works again, but not set pattern or reasons won't work,
very Random!

Normally you would know you are connected to the wifi because the Access Points name would be displayed, prob. next to you network provider and with previous (even) orange branded BlackBerry's its clear and obvious, however with this 3g and the fact it can connect to UMA for calls etc & (I'm guessing) tries for gsm for internet I would be a little anxious. You may be lucky now you have debranded and be able to switch OFF the network signal only. I could always do this with BB's so it could ONLY use wifi. Why the #!#!#! you can't with orange's Touch 3g I fail to comprehend. As I said in my post above, fortunately I have unlimited and don't really need internet at home but could not risk using whilst abroad.

What firmware did you use to de-brand?

doublegandt

May 12, 2009
I followed this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=441872 - the kitchen contained everything. I never changed anything - just used what was in it. Admit I was a bit concerned - but is worked fine and then I had a gin and tonic to calm down :)

In terms of the Unique Phone - when I rang Orange they were not sure if a livebox was needed or not. I dont have a livebox but heyho I dont have Unique Phone any longer so it is immaterial to me now!

As regards the GPRS - I now just edit the Access Point name - take last letter away from orangeinternet and it will not connect. So now I can switch it on and off as required. So I switch it off when abroad - I have unlimited in the UK.

R

RobbieD

Orange UMA on HTC Touch 3G (business contract) - problems like rest of you guys...

It's reassuring to read I'm not the only one with problems with my upgrade from Orange.

I was told that their UMA phones would help me get around a patchy signal issue out in my (garden) office, which is connected via Cat5e cable to the Netgear router in the house. Here in the office I now use an old Netgear WG602 WAP connected via a switch & Cat5e cable to the router (only 45m, about 50yards in old money, away). Orange have now said I can't get support as I'm not using their Broadband (we have BT Internet) & their Livebox, but they originally said the UMA feature worked with any wireless network (which it does about 2/3rd of the time). The rest of the time the green house isn't there, just the red or the grey house appear in the status bar or in Unique Manager.

I quite like the phone, as a phone & SMS device, as it is way lighter than my old HTC Ty-Tn II (brick) & I am happy with Orange (as I have been with them for over 15 years now for both business & personal use), so I don't want to go unlocked etc. Also the Business Support side of things is, I have heard from personal customers, way better also.

But this bloody UMA is driving me round the u-bend. This (below) is a post I put up on another forum & I'm hoping someone here can shed light on how to tweak both the phone's UMA settings & our WAP's, so I can get it to work 99% of the time via wi-fi when the Orange GSM signal fails.

I am frustrated at having been convinced by Oranges’ answer to a poor signal reception issue in my area: we (Orange) now have a limited – yes VERY – selection of phones that use UMA to continue or route a new call over a w-fi- connection instead of GSM. Well we jumped for it, but they didn’t say we’d have similar dropped connection problems via UMA over our wireless service (provided by BT Internet & Netgear WAP & Router. They have flatly refused any support for the HTC 3G Touch I have got on a 24 month contract (been with Orange for 15 + years) because we aren’t using Orange Broadband or their router. I’m fairly certain it is a software configuration issue (both what settings I need to use on the phone & the WAP need tweaking), but they are unable to assist. Can you help at all? I have a reasonable IT understanding even though I’m just a “bricks & mortar” builder. Many thanks, Rob

Can anyone help me out please.

GasGasGreg

May 25, 2009
You may already but could check Settings/connections/connections/advanced/select network/ and make sure both on Orange internet (or your ISP) rather than having "my work network" on either. Not sure if it will help but I think I had intermittant UMA when I left the 2nd on "my Work".

I have a 3g touch working quite well with UMA, rarely I get the red house & I restart the phone & it tends to be OK. I do however use Orange Broadband and the Livebox as modem, but had a variety of routers & WAP's, Belkin & now Buffalo that all have tended to work wuite well.

I have had good results with the Blackberrys also, 8120 & 8220 flip, in some ways better that the touch 3g.