New apps available

Search This thread

delpiero223

Jul 22, 2011
Sadly I am not rooted. :-/ isn't there a way to sideload Gear apps yet or extract those files of free apps?

wiccan-two

Sep 2, 2007
Swansea
Valve SteamDeck
Sadly I am not rooted. :-/ isn't there a way to sideload Gear apps yet or extract those files of free apps?

It is possible to sideload apps onto the gear with tizen. I've done it for a few things I've found around the boards here, watch faces, apps, etc. You need to download the tizen sdk for wearables. Then you can use sdb install <wgt file>

The problem would be in getting the apps from the store and distributing them. Not to mention people here who have done this havn't managed to get interaction between a phone app and the watch app to work. An example is the fleksy thread where you can get the wgt file and the apk for both watch and phone. They are useless because they can't talk to each other and the watch app sits at an empty contacts screen.

In short yes it should be possible but some apps that work with a counterpart on the phone may not.

I'd be happy to help transfer wgt files from my watch if I can get at them and if someone can clarify the rules on posting them here for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Bladder61

Mar 31, 2011

It is not the Gear you need root on, it is your phone. You have to go into the system/build.prop file on your phone to do this edit. This tricks the Samsung App store into thinking you have a different phone. It then makes certain apps available to only certain phones.

I don't know why Samsung does this to us. I would like to think it is a programming overlook/error, but my gut tells me it is somehow $$$$ driven. Why punish the early adapters who bought your Gen 1 watch, you first abandon the android O/S and force most people to Tizen, then you hobble the apps available to them. Do the App developers know that many of their paid apps are not available to the Gear 1 customers? They are losing a chance to sell to us. I bought 4 apps yesterday as soon as I open up the whole Gear store by doing the build.prop work around.

Thanks to all the dedicated Dev's here that have keep the Gear 1 alive and in fact a much better product than Sammy originally designed.

inwisso

Sep 8, 2010
If you have root access to go into your system/build.prop file then go to the below linked post. All you need to change is the model then save and reboot. You should have access to more apps. I change my model to a Galaxy S5 which I think gave me access to all the available apps.

ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A (this is the only line in build.prop you need to edit)

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-gear/themes-apps/tizen-apps-phone-models-t2810782

This methods works perfectly... I think its work too well that's my phone ? starts updating my apps to the newer version of Samsung Galaxy S 5, then health app stops working I think because its not compatible with my s4 is there is anyway to work around that?

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wiccan-two

Sep 2, 2007
Swansea
Valve SteamDeck
This methods works perfectly... I think its work too well that's my phone ? starts updating my apps to the newer version of Samsung Galaxy S 5, then health app stops working I think because its not compatible with my s4 is there is anyway to work around that?

The same happened to me, had to uninstall updates for s health. I think it's because the newer version expects the hardware for the heart rate monitor.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

inwisso

Sep 8, 2010
I tried it and its works I hope there is a way to keep the s5 apps in the future ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Part 1 of Apps

Attached is what i see on Gear Manager.
    Have a look towards the end of the show us your Gear Watch faces thread. I posted how I did it there.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

It is possible to sideload apps onto the gear with tizen. I've done it for a few things I've found around the boards here, watch faces, apps, etc. You need to download the tizen sdk for wearables. Then you can use sdb install <wgt file>

The problem would be in getting the apps from the store and distributing them. Not to mention people here who have done this havn't managed to get interaction between a phone app and the watch app to work. An example is the fleksy thread where you can get the wgt file and the apk for both watch and phone. They are useless because they can't talk to each other and the watch app sits at an empty contacts screen.

In short yes it should be possible but some apps that work with a counterpart on the phone may not.

I'd be happy to help transfer wgt files from my watch if I can get at them and if someone can clarify the rules on posting them here for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
    I am on NF1 firmware and Samsung S5 T-Mobile USA on stock.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Part 2

Part 2 of the Apps i see.