HTC Desire won't shut down / power off

Search This thread
Apr 9, 2010
Turned off the phone last night, returned to it this morning (6+ hours) with "Power off - shutting down" on the screen. I ended up pulling the battery and booting from cold.

The phone turned back on with no problems, but 45 minutes after turning it off again - it is displaying the same screen and not shutting down. Pulling the battery, turning on and then turning off the phone immediately has the same problem.

Tasks running before the shut down are normal, I have almost no 3rd party apps installed yet.

Ideas anyone?

ipodtouch1001

Mar 28, 2010
Sounds like a similar problem that I and a number of others seem to be having. The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be a simple fix at the moment, but the good news is that with it happening to increasing numbers of us, hopefully it will be remediable in a future update.

Spineli

Apr 29, 2010
Gak. Didn't see the main post for the issue. *waves to admins for deletion*

Hi there,

What main post are you referring to for this issue?

If you could please direct me, thanks.

I'm having the same problem, last week I was turning the phone off and it would turn off in half hour or so.

This morning, I turned the phone off, and it has been "Shutting down" for about 3 hours now...

extremely frustrating!!!

gogol

May 20, 2005
Try to install "aLogCat" application. This app could show Android log files.
And see if you can spot something there ...

I also have this issue. I took out the battery.

The thing is ... after turned on ... you can turn off without any problem.

jurmala98

Apr 1, 2010
Had the same issue when I first got my desire from T-Mobile. SD Card later failed on me, and after getting a replacement from T-Mobile, the phone works perfectly and shuts down instantly. So my guess is that your problem is the SD card. You could try walking to the retailer and try to get a replacement SD card. When mine failed T-Mobile even gave me a 8gb one instead of the orignal 4gb

jannen

Sep 13, 2006
Im 99% sure its an app/widget causing the prob. I had the same, but its gone when I uninstalled most of my apps. Not sure which app caused the prob though...

hrcro

Jun 6, 2007
I had that problem. After a hard reset it is not present any more. So i guess that some app caused it. Couldnt tell wich one.

poldie

Dec 24, 2008
I had that problem. After a hard reset it is not present any more. So i guess that some app caused it. Couldnt tell wich one.

It might be harder to diagnose than uninstalling/killing something and trying again, as it might be due to memory leaks, services, other tasks. I've read that it might be related to the backup to sd card which happens from time to time, so unless you're in the middle of a backup then you'd not have a problem (assuming there is a connection). You can only tell over time.

mvjh01

Apr 28, 2010
HTC Desire won't power off

I had the exact same problem. I only had 2 widgets active: 1 was the Handcent SMS widget the other was a Battery widget from mippin.com. I changed the Handcent widget to the program shortcut but did not uninstall and uninstalled the Battery widget. Now it powers off with no problem

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
i have the same issue with my desire.. i have a 8gb sd card in there.. which is nearly full.. maybe thats an issue?

how do you unmount card before shutting down?

flux

Jun 25, 2005
Once I tried to unmount sd card and then it wasn't possible at all to shut down the phone. I had to remove battery

shikhar

Apr 25, 2006
hong kong
hey buddy, try to remove quick links like back light and soft reset, it works also try with flash light same...worked with me..good luck. or try toms power off zip.

santacruzdz

Sep 19, 2008
DESIRE doesnt turn off

It sucks..all night long, this morning i found out it was still in the process of shutting down..turning off the cell phone should be a priority program,all others tasks must shut down..i think HTC should make an update since a lot of users experience same problem.

RaptorRVL

Jun 7, 2005
It used to hang at shutting down with me too. But, and I have no idea what changed, it now shuts down just fine. Weird stuff!

mcgon1979

Apr 9, 2010
I shut mine down last night. It used to take about 60seconds to shut down but last night it just said "shutting down" for hours. I left it to see what happened. 11hours later it still said "shutting down". :( I picked it up and was going to open it up and remove battery. I obviously didn't want to do that to get dust and crap into the back of phone. As soon as I turned it over to remove back the screen went white! HTC. And it started up. ? ? ? coincidence or did me moving it around cause the restart after 11hours?
Anyway, I can tell it now has 237mb free (using advanced task killer to check memory available). It never normally has more than 150mb free. Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere in Sense UI? It seems the longer you have used thephone without a restart, the more likley it will hang during shutdown.
I hope HTC are aware of this issue. I logged a support call too, as I'm sure many of you did.
anyway, shake the phone around a bit before you remove the back to see if that helps. It did for me after 11 hours of being stuck on "shutting down!" screen.

Oh by the way, I had unmounted the card befre the shut down in the hopes it would be quicker than 60seconds. It made no difference!

Last edited:

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
i had this issue also.. a factory reset fixed it.. i think it was an app i installed did the damage.. some mentioned unmounting the sd card first but i tried that and it made no difference..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well this is a problem with the automatic backup from HTC. Go to:

Settings -> Privacy -> Back up my data & settings

Turn it of and then try to power off your phone then. You will see that it's much faster when turning off.