settings.db?

Search This thread

shaddowdemon

Jul 28, 2010
Hello!

My main question is: where are the settings stored? I've done some research, and there is apparently supposed to be a file called settings.db on android phones... but mine doesn't have one o_O

I was locked out of my phone because of the pattern lock screen, and it will not accept my gmail user name and password. It immediately fails when I submit the info, and I am positive it is correct. A common solution to this problem is to change some variables in settings.db (for different phones).

To find all .db files, I used: find / -name "*.db" -print

I can boot into clockwork recovery and connect with adb...

Thanks in advance!

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Are you running the command as root? The default user doesn't have read access to all directories on the phone, and it's likely the file is in one of those directories.

shaddowdemon

Jul 28, 2010
Ah, after many hours, I have fixed my problem. Since it's possible someone else may find this thread, I'll explain what I did. Basically, the datadata folder is not auto-mounted. I noticed this when I was doing a nandroid backup... so, I mounted it, and my problems were solved :D

First, I used adb to pull /etc/fstab. In fstab, you can view the device location that is usually mounted for the datadata folder (open it in notepad or wordpad or something).

After that, I used adb -d shell and mounted the device.

I forget the name of the block file, but the syntax of the command to mount devices is:

Code:
mount <block_device_location> /datadata

Come to think of it, "mount /datadata" might have also worked.

After that, I was able to find the settings.db file in the datadata/databases folder and edit a setting in it to remove the permanent lock using the "sqlite browser". The variable to change is obvious (it has permanent lockout in the name) and it needs to be changed from a 1 to a 0.