HTC DUMLOCK - Flash boot from recovery without fastboot! (Updated 2012-02-28 v2)

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
HTC Dumlock

HTC Dumlock is a workaround for devices with HTC's unlock that cannot flash boot from recovery. Put simply, we make backups of recovery and boot, then we flash the backup of recovery to boot. When you reboot normally, you'll be in your recovery, but since your recovery is flashed to boot, you can make changes to boot. Head on over to our website for download links and instructions.

NOTE: The Rezound does not have TWRP, so you will be using the universal version!

New v2 version scans / compares the backups of boot and recovery to help ensure that you don't run it twice and wipe out your backup of boot.

Last edited:

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
I believe I can unify all of the zips into a single one that is touchscreen based :) It would make it extremely easy and useful.

Con,
I hope your professor's appreciate you ! :) I was hoping you would simplify it.

Quick question, so reading through the website a few times. It is my understanding once this is properly set up when we make backups it will be backing up the kernel and when we restore backups we wouldn't have to reflash kernel or am I taking it to far ?

Also would our backups from Amon Ra still work or better to just delete them and just make fresh backups of current rom with TWRP recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: asianflavor

Dees_Troy

Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
There's 2 versions, one is the universal version that works with any recovery. The other, the TWRP version, is only available for a handful of devices and that doesn't include the Rezound. I don't have a Rezound, so I can't speak for it myself, but I would imagine that your existing backups would be fine (you could read boot, just not write to it) unless you chose not to back up boot.

RustyNailz

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Not quite. I don't believe the fastboot method actually flashes anything to the boot image, so this method leaves more room for error due to the process of saving / flashing / restoring the boot image.

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Not quite. I don't believe the fastboot method actually flashes anything to the boot image, so this method leaves more room for error due to the process of saving / flashing / restoring the boot image.

That is the only way to do it without fastboot.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Totally awesome gentlemen. I cannot wait to install this on my phone.

I am building a GUI for this so it will be pretty sick. Should be out tomorrow night.

Reactions: pwned3

Dees_Troy

Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in

Sure, but this method doesn't require a computer (or other external device) for those times when you are away from a computer. You can't do the fastboot method without a second device.

nolimit78

May 13, 2009
Kansas City
The 3D had a program called Flash Image GUI. It did what we're trying to accomplish here. Interestingly enough the program "worked" but it wasn't nearly as reliable as the fastboot method

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium App

nolimit78

May 13, 2009
Kansas City
And please don't take any of what I say a hating. I am merely discussing and spitballing. Lord knows that with the drama over at the 3D forums and Chad kernels I am not trying to bring that hate here. Not in the slightest. :)

I will post this in the other thread too. Thanks for all your hard work sir!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC Dumlock

HTC Dumlock is a workaround for devices with HTC's unlock that cannot flash boot from recovery. Put simply, we make backups of recovery and boot, then we flash the backup of recovery to boot. When you reboot normally, you'll be in your recovery, but since your recovery is flashed to boot, you can make changes to boot. Head on over to our website for download links and instructions.

NOTE: The Rezound does not have TWRP, so you will be using the universal version!

New v2 version scans / compares the backups of boot and recovery to help ensure that you don't run it twice and wipe out your backup of boot.
    I am almost finished with a recovery file that will unify all the functions of Troy's tool as well as adding a couple extras with a single zip that uses the touchscreen in recovery.
    I believe I can unify all of the zips into a single one that is touchscreen based :) It would make it extremely easy and useful.
    I believe once I rebuild it specifically for the Rezound it will clear the confusion surrounding the purpose and use of the tool.
    Well it is done and fully tested but I don't have time to write up the documentation for it.