[BUG] CM9/CM10 Data connectivity bug - unFIXED, it seems

Search This thread

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
The connectivity bug appears to be back again since the 2 Nov CM10 update - can others please confirm this?

This bug has been squashed, thanks to a hack by SlugZero, many thanks! The fix has been incorporated in Quarx' builds, from 12.09

Many users have confirmed the data connectivity bug (in CM9 and CM10) and others seems unaffected. The purpose of this thread is to try and characterize the problem, to see if there is a common setting that increases the likelihood of the data disconnects.

Please provide the following information if you are faced with data disconnects (APN info found under System Settings > More…> Mobile Networks > Access Point Names) :

Type of service provider: Normal /Virtual
Cell reception area: Good/Average/Bad
Data type problematic: 2G/3G/HSPDA/All types
Access Point Names - APN: internet/URL
Proxy: IP address/URL/blank

If you have any info to add or think there might be something else causing the problem, please say so in your post.

Hopefully we can use the gathered info to get this bug squashed :)

EDIT 06-07-12

Here’s what I’ve experienced so far:
1. Having only one APN in your APN list is better, I delete unnecessary APNs.
2. Selecting only 2G or only 3G is better, I leave my phone on 3G and switch to auto when there is no 3G coverage. - Edit 08-03-2013
3. Forcing your phone to work on a specific network is better, if you have the option to roam on another network, that is.
4. Older networks seem more problematic than newer networks (just a hunch).
5. Some sim cards can be problematic, I recently bought a new sim card and it improved my connectivity 10 fold, but I still have the odd disconnect if I disobey the rules above.
The dropout seems to be caused by an incorrect handover from cell tower to cell tower, or network to network, or one network type to another, so by limiting these changeovers, you limit the chance of dropouts. My connectivity is pretty much “perfect” now, although it would be great to leave everything on auto without concern. If you want to do that, you could install Connection Checker, by Jeremy Chase. This app toggles Airplane mode if it detects a data disconnect. I don’t use it anymore though.
I’m on FuZZ_’s 30 June CM9+ build at the moment.

Last edited:

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
OK, I'll get the ball rolling:

Type of service provider: Virtual
Cell reception area: Average
Data type problematic: All types
Access Point Names - APN: URL
Proxy: IP address

jasom77

Feb 18, 2011
Neda
I hope we can get something to solve this issue..
Here are my data:

Type of service provider: Virtual
Cell reception area: Good
Proxy: blank

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
o2 Germany

APN: internet
Proxy: -
APN-Typ: default, suppl, mms
WLAN: ON
Baseband: EPU93_U_00.59.01
ICS: 9-20120602
No problems, when I uses 2g only

Geramn Forum, where they discusses the problem too.
http://www.android-hilfe.de/custom-...t-sich-im-automatikmodus-staendig-auf-12.html

Are there any Custom Roms without this problem? I have this problem with CM7 too.

I think there are two levels of this problem... for virtual networks all data types are problematic, for regular networks like yours, 2G only is stable. I'm hoping to gather enough info to prove this.

I don't think all custom roms are affected, I have no problems with WIUI when Auto APN switching is turned off (a feature that doesn't exist in CM7 and CM9)

Last edited:

sidlo

Mar 17, 2012
Type of service provider: Normal
Access Point Names - APN: internet

I have to switch off and switch on wifi and cell data every 5 minutes to get it work. It just stops working. If I download any kind of data it freezes after by 3 MB.

Wifi works fine just on CM9-NIGHTLY-120516-Defy+.zip
cell data doesn't wokr just on CM9-NIGHTLY-120529-Defy+.zip

MB526

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
Access Point Names - APN: internet

I have to switch off and switch on wifi and cell data every 5 minutes to get it work. It just stops working. If I download any kind of data it freezes after by 3 MB.

Wifi works fine just on CM9-NIGHTLY-120516-Defy+.zip
cell data doesn't wokr just on CM9-NIGHTLY-120529-Defy+.zip

MB526

Please try the following:

Go to your Access Point Names and open the active APN
then click on menu and save the APN
Let us know if this helps (it has made a significant difference for me)
All non-active APNs should be deleted by hitting menu, delete APN

This will probably have to be repeated after every reboot (if it helps)

Last edited:

SeneKa82

May 4, 2011
Tui
Type of service provider: Virtual / Normal (two months ago I was with Vodafone)

I'm using Tasker to reset the "mobile network", if I reset "APN" or "mobile data" it doesn't work.

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
The free Market app Connectivity Checker by Jeremy Chase helps hugely to restore connectivity when it drops out by toggling airplane mode for a split second. If you're on the phone when it checks it skips the check, so no chance of cutting off the call.

Reactions: SeneKa82

diogolm.adm

Feb 8, 2012
Florianópolis
Hi there!

I find that in my logcat:

# Enable data
06-01 13:55:30.515 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: ConnectivityChange for mobile: CONNECTED/CONNECTED
06-01 13:55:45.632 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=100, published condition=0

# Data Connection lost
06-01 14:52:37.170 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=100

# Disable Data
06-01 14:55:04.639 2285 2296 D ConnectivityService: setMobileDataEnabled(false)
06-01 14:55:04.788 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED

#Enable data
06-01 14:58:41.225 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: ConnectivityChange for mobile: CONNECTED/CONNECTED
06-01 14:59:06.741 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=0
06-01 14:59:27.874 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=100, published condition=0

# Data Connection lost
06-01 15:28:39.546 2285 2342 D ConnectivityService: handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=100

Reading about, i've find that Condition=100 means GOOD and Condition=0 Means BAD... dunno if that's it but looks like based on the behavior of my data connection... Altought i'm sure that in this period the network condition didn't change that much, signal is stable, i'm seated in my desk so that's no kind variation to justify this drops...

Reactions: aambro

coolatin

Mar 13, 2012
Mumbai
Many users have confirmed the data connectivity bug and others seems unaffected. The purpose of this thread is to try and characterize the problem, to see if there is a common setting that increases the likelihood of the data disconnects.

Please provide the following information if you are faced with data disconnects (APN info found under System Settings > More…> Mobile Networks > Access Point Names) :

If you have any info to add or think there might be something else causing the problem, please say so in your post.

Thanks for putting it in the order, incase you remember discussing the problem, with me.. i still have it .. the disconnections after the phone is idle for some time and dont knw what to do with it.. a friend of mine suggested that it might because of deep sleep.

here are the details for my phone.

current Build - 0528(froyo kernel)
Data type problematic: 2G( althought right now i have set it to 2g/3g setting nothing ever helps for disconnections)
Access Point Names - Vodafone IN(www)
Proxy: blank ( none set)

Reactions: aambro

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
This post from Epsylon3 suggests that data connectivity might be fixed in upcoming builds, although I suspect it will fix part of my problem... let's hold thumbs :)

coolatin

Mar 13, 2012
Mumbai
btw... i downloaded the "Connectivition Checker" app yesterday .. and i think it works for me till now.. no disconnection yet .. so i am happy :).. yet i feel this isnt how this shud be .. i shudnt hv to use an app to make my internet work properly..

Reactions: Caleb_cz

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
I installed the latest Euroskank+ build about 3 hours ago and no data dropouts yet...

I think this build has incorporated the fix Epsylon3 mentioned earlier.

For those with a grean lens, there is also a new build from Epsylon here.

Edit: trouble-free data connection lasted 4 hours, trying Epsy's build now.

As previously mentioned, I think there are two levels of this problem, and one of them has been fixed... the other still plagues me. Better than nothing!

Edit 2: I'm still having data issues with today's Epsy3 build... how sad :(

Last edited:

bds bamrah

Feb 5, 2012
new delhi
Many users have confirmed the data connectivity bug and others seems unaffected. The purpose of this thread is to try and characterize the problem, to see if there is a common setting that increases the likelihood of the data disconnects.

hii...i'm on cm9 2june build,green lens defy.
data connectivity doesnt work,dont know why

NAME: VODAFONE IN
APN: WWW
PROXY: <NOT SET>
PORT:<NOT SET>
MMSC:<NOT SET>
MMS PROXY:<NOT SET>
MMC:404
MNC:88
AUTHENTIC TYPE:<NOT SET>
APN TYPE: DEFAULT,SUPL
APN PROTOCOL: IPV4
BEARER:UNSPECIFIED

PS. i cant install whatsapp ,i dont know why
m using it as a virtual system

NishantM

Sep 20, 2008
Mumbai
I too confirm data connectivity (EDGE) issues with CM9 builds by Quarx and Euroskank Defy+ builds on my MB526. It especially happens while commuting (in train, to be specific). The icon shows that it's connected, but the icon is greyed and there is no connectivity if I try to access a webpage via browser or use any app that required internet. Whenever I'm at the same place for hours, there are no issues at all (previously I had issue in this scenario too, which got fixed after i flashed stock baseband files). I've set the network at 'GSM only'. It happened even after I flashed stock baseband files.

I'm now back to CM7 due to the same.

Type of service provider: Normal (Vodafone)
Data type problematic: Tested only on 2G
Access Point Names - www
Proxy: Blank

Last edited:
Reactions: je198ß

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
Interesting observation here on today's Epsylon build....

Connectivity Checker kept restarting data even though it appeared to be connected. I've now disabled checking and no permanent drop outs yet. Previously if data stopped it would never reconnect without help. Now it appears to reconnect again.

Let's see if it lasts :)

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

Reactions: diogolm.adm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did some investigation on that bug the last few weeks and here is what I came up with based on my findings and what others have posted in this thread previously:

• The bug seems to be somewhere inside the Motorola RIL implementation and appears to be present in all available RIL versions, i.e. there is no way to fix it
    • I believe the bug is also present in stock ROMs, but they recover automatically within at most a couple of minutes
    • The built-in data connection recovery in CM9/10 does not play well with the Defy, but it can be modified easily
    • With a slightly modified version of Quarx's ROM, I have fairly stable connectivity for one week now (longest dropouts around 2 to 3 minutes) and none that required toggling mobile data or flight mode. With a stock GB Defy+, I have temporary dropouts of similar length in my area. Without the patch I had dropouts almost every hour in some areas.

Here are some more details on what I figured:

The data connection seems to go down but the RIL implementation does not send any event to notify us. We therefore assume that data is still connected. It seems to be common that something like this happens, therefore there is a OnDataStallAlarm function that is called periodically to check if the connection is still alive. It does this by counting the number of sent packages and the number of received answers, assuming that something is broken if you do not get any data packets back for a while.
    As soon as a data stall is detected, this routine starts a whole cascade of recovery actions.

However for our bug, these recovery functions get never activated because the number of sent packages is also not increasing any more. The simple solution I found is just to send a notification for a data connection change if there was no traffic at all during the last cycle.
    This does not hurt because if the connection was still alive, this notification should do nothing. However if the connection was lost previously, it triggers a reconnect. I compared the connection tracker to older versions of Android, and it even seems like in older Android versions, this was done periodically to work around bad RIL implementations that did not report connectivity loss properly.

I think that this portion of the code (the connection recovery) was significantly modified from Android 2.6 to 4.0, and it probably did the recovery properly in earlier versions. This is why there were no persistent data connection dropouts although the actual RIL bug probably always has been there.

I attached my patched version of /system/framework/framework.jar which should work with Quarx's 0903 MB525 build (I suppose you know what you're doing when using this file, but in case you get stuck on boot, you can always go back to one of Quarx's ROMs by reflashing) and a patch for the source code.

I am sure there is a more elegant way to work around this bug and fix the data stall alarm, but at least I hope this is pointing to the right direction..

Edit: Patch is integrated in latest Quarx 12.09 build, no need to apply it manually any more :)
    This patch and some more fixes for it are included in latest version of cm10
    The connectivity bug appears to be back again since the 2 Nov CM10 update - can others please confirm this?

This bug has been squashed, thanks to a hack by SlugZero, many thanks! The fix has been incorporated in Quarx' builds, from 12.09

Many users have confirmed the data connectivity bug (in CM9 and CM10) and others seems unaffected. The purpose of this thread is to try and characterize the problem, to see if there is a common setting that increases the likelihood of the data disconnects.

EDIT 06-07-12

Here’s what I’ve experienced so far:
    1. Having only one APN in your APN list is better, I delete unnecessary APNs.
    2. Selecting only 2G or only 3G is better, I leave my phone on 3G and switch to auto when there is no 3G coverage. - Edit 08-03-2013
    3. Forcing your phone to work on a specific network is better, if you have the option to roam on another network, that is.
    4. Older networks seem more problematic than newer networks (just a hunch).
    5. Some sim cards can be problematic, I recently bought a new sim card and it improved my connectivity 10 fold, but I still have the odd disconnect if I disobey the rules above.
    The dropout seems to be caused by an incorrect handover from cell tower to cell tower, or network to network, or one network type to another, so by limiting these changeovers, you limit the chance of dropouts. My connectivity is pretty much “perfect” now, although it would be great to leave everything on auto without concern. If you want to do that, you could install Connection Checker, by Jeremy Chase. This app toggles Airplane mode if it detects a data disconnect. I don’t use it anymore though.
    I’m on FuZZ_’s 30 June CM9+ build at the moment.
    I recon if you get 50+ thanks on your very first post in XDA that you should be given SuperHero status instantly :)

Thanks, but I believe that even then I would not be allowed to post there before having at least 10 posts ;)

May be possible change the default values in a config file without recompile?

Actually yes, I think there is no recompiling necessary, since the hard-coded defaults are overridden by values from system settings (Settings.Secure.DATA_STALL_ALARM_AGGRESSIVE_DELAY_IN_MS / Settings.Secure.DATA_STALL_ALARM_NON_AGGRESSIVE_DELAY_IN_MS). But since I am quite new to this Android development stuff myself, I have no idea how to set these (maybe somebody else does).

However I think that changing the timeout is not the best way to improve data connectivity further. I do have some ideas for improvement, like checking/triggering connection on screen on (mostly better user experience) and/or modifying the packet sums in TrafficStats (could also fix other data connectivity issues). I don't have much time in the next few weeks to look into this, but if there is still need for improvement afterwards, I'm going to try some things.
    I attached my patched version of /system/framework/framework.jar which should work with Quarx's 0903 MB525 build (I suppose you know what you're doing when using this file, but in case you get stuck on boot, you can always go back to one of Quarx's ROMs by reflashing) and a patch for the source code.

I am sure there is a more elegant way to work around this bug and fix the data stall alarm, but at least I hope this is pointing to the right direction..

NICE WORK!

i think it worked great, don't had such big problems as without the patched framework.jar on latest Quarx build 0409.

have made a update zip with ur framework patch for those users that dont want to-do it manual (such lazy ppl like me)