[Guide] How to root, install EXT4 recovery and custom ROM on HBOOT 2.00.0002

Search This thread

n0elite

Nov 26, 2010
Hi, A short but effective guide for people who want to root their Desire S while keeping HBOOT 2.00.0002 and S-ON. This is what I did with my phone yesterday, but took me a lot of time to figure things out, so I'm writing this for myself and other people.

1) First of all set up ADB and Fastboot. [GUIDE] Easy and simple adb and fastboot setup for newbies (Windows only)

Also download the ROM you wish to install on your Desire S and put it on your microSD card. For this tutorial I choose Reaper v2.1 rom by lowveld.

2) You have to unlock your bootloader first via HTCdev so that you can install EXT4 recovery and custom roms. In the dropdown list select ''All other supported models'' and follow the instructions.

If you successfully finished the HTCdev unlock tutorial, your phone has a unlocked bootloader.

3) We're going to install EXT4 recovery. But first download ''4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip'' and extract the recovery.img file to the folder where you installed fastboot and adb. If you followed the tutorial in step 1 the folder will be ''C:\android-tools''

Now make sure Fast Boot is turned off on your phone. Go to ''Settings > Power > Fast Boot'' to turn it off. Unplug your phone from your computer, it's time to turn of your phone and boot into your bootloader.

Press Volume Down Button and Power Button at the same time to boot into recovery. Now connect your phone to your computer and select fastboot.

(Power button to select, Volume Down/Up to navigate)

Go to start->run-> type cmd and press enter. A command prompt will now appear.

Type:
cd c:\android-tools [press enter]
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img [press enter]

EXT4 recovery is now installed on your phone. Turn off your phone in bootloader menu.

4) Open the rom (.zip file) you downloaded in step 1 and put the ''boot.img'' file in ''C:\android-tools''

If you followed this tutorial correctly, you already copied your desired rom your onto your MicroSD card.

Now we boot into the bootloader again, this time we select recovery.

Go to: wipe | format>and select: wipe data/factory reset (this may take a while), then select wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache.

Go back to main menu in EXT4 recovery and select ''install from sdcard'' select ''Reaper_V2.1.ZIP''. After the rom is installed turn your phone off again.

Boot into recovery, connect your phone to your computer and select fastboot on your phone.

Type:
fastboot flash boot boot.img [press enter]

After it's successfully installed, turn of your phone and just boot normally. It may take a while for your phone to boot up.

Your phone is unlocked,rooted and has a custom ROM.

Enjoy

Note: Some new ICS roms require different kind of HBOOT. I use Fallout v5.0.0 without any problems.

Just press the 'Thanks' button instead of saying thanks.

Changelog:

*03-03-2012 Updated guide
*14-03-2012 Updated guide
*12-09-2012 Added Notes/updated guide

Attachments

• 4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 24,850
Last edited:

Blasterke

Jan 17, 2011
Tx!
Was thinking about rooting/unlocking but wasnt really sure of myself doing it without bricking it. Most of this guide i already knew but it gives me confidence before making the jump :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Reactions: alexw000w

StvnKwlzk

Feb 24, 2012
Bremen
this looks promising, i think i'll try it someday

so i'll be root after i finished this procedure, or just temporary?

Last edited:
Reactions: alexw000w

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Finally. This was the missing link in this forum!
I had the intention do write one, but I am S-OFF and cannot verify the steps without going to Stock then doing the steps and then downgrade and S-OFF again. Too many things to do just in the name of a correct tutorial. Anyway thanks I am glad that somebody finally wrote it!

P. S. : please notify ben_pyett to include it in the Index thread
Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yxsunnyxy

Mar 4, 2012
I've followed your Guide ... but i stuck on the bootscreen
i installed the ROM via recovery ... and then the phone restarted and started to boot, i just pulled out the battery to turn off the phone and then to flash "boot.img" via fastboot, but now i stuck on the bootscreen ... anybody knows what to do?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I've followed your Guide ... but i stuck on the bootscreen
i installed the ROM via recovery ... and then the phone restarted and started to boot, i just pulled out the battery to turn off the phone and then to flash "boot.img" via fastboot, but now i stuck on the bootscreen ... anybody knows what to do?

Damn, where did you read to pull the battery? NEVER PULL BATTERY AT RUNNING OR BOOTING SYSTEM EXCEPT YOUR AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY TO GET A PAPERWEIGHT AND DON'T MIND IT!!
Did really take a look at the recovery? What is written as last line?
Ok, but your phone is off now, if not reboot to bootloader with
adb reboot bootloader
at the command line.
Otherwise start it with vol down and power.
There use the fastboot command to flash the boot.img, if you're lucky it will work.

Swifted from my Desire S far away from my PC

yxsunnyxy

Mar 4, 2012
Damn, where did you read to pull the battery? NEVER PULL BATTERY AT RUNNING OR BOOTING SYSTEM EXCEPT YOUR AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY TO GET A PAPERWEIGHT AND DON'T MIND IT!!
Did really take a look at the recovery? What is written as last line?
Ok, but your phone is off now, if not reboot to bootloader with
adb reboot bootloader
at the command line.
Otherwise start it with vol down and power.
There use the fastboot command to flash the boot.img, if you're lucky it will work.

I tried it, but it will still stuck on the HTC Splash screen ...

When i'm flashing the ROM everything works and in the end it starts restarting ... and i have no chance to stop the restarting? Or i'm blind

Update: Found the solution ... noob mistake ;)

Last edited:

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I tried it, but it will still stuck on the HTC Splash screen ...

When i'm flashing the ROM everything works and in the end it starts restarting ... and i have no chance to stop the restarting? Or i'm blind

What rom do you use? Maybe the recovery script forces a restart, sry, but anyways use vol down vol up and power or adb reboot bootloader to force a reboot.
If it's really needed only pull battery in between the small gap after shutdown and boot, but not at running system.
Try it the other way round, first flash the boot.img, afterwards flash the rom.

stroescu76

Jan 30, 2009
Please help .

I am new to android and I did know a great stupidity, I removed the battery while charging the 4EXT Recovery image I thought was locked and now i do not know what to do, please teach me download it another rom as it related to furniture. :(:(:(

stroescu76

Jan 30, 2009
Locked in HTC logo.

He remained in the HTC logo, and nothing happens, I would be very grateful if you help me, I think not uploaded image.: :) :) (

stroescu76

Jan 30, 2009
I followed your directions, I installed version Reaper_V2.1'''' I closed, I opened the phone and I gave in "Fastboot", give the command:
cd c: \ android-tools [press enter]
fastboot flash boot boot.img [press enter],
but it says "error: can not load boot.img", if I saw a video where I realize I'm wrong or my phone failed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, A short but effective guide for people who want to root their Desire S while keeping HBOOT 2.00.0002 and S-ON. This is what I did with my phone yesterday, but took me a lot of time to figure things out, so I'm writing this for myself and other people.

1) First of all set up ADB and Fastboot. [GUIDE] Easy and simple adb and fastboot setup for newbies (Windows only)

Also download the ROM you wish to install on your Desire S and put it on your microSD card. For this tutorial I choose Reaper v2.1 rom by lowveld.

2) You have to unlock your bootloader first via HTCdev so that you can install EXT4 recovery and custom roms. In the dropdown list select ''All other supported models'' and follow the instructions.

If you successfully finished the HTCdev unlock tutorial, your phone has a unlocked bootloader.

3) We're going to install EXT4 recovery. But first download ''4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip'' and extract the recovery.img file to the folder where you installed fastboot and adb. If you followed the tutorial in step 1 the folder will be ''C:\android-tools''

Now make sure Fast Boot is turned off on your phone. Go to ''Settings > Power > Fast Boot'' to turn it off. Unplug your phone from your computer, it's time to turn of your phone and boot into your bootloader.

Press Volume Down Button and Power Button at the same time to boot into recovery. Now connect your phone to your computer and select fastboot.

(Power button to select, Volume Down/Up to navigate)

Type:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img [press enter]

EXT4 recovery is now installed on your phone. Turn off your phone in bootloader menu.

4) Open the rom (.zip file) you downloaded in step 1 and put the ''boot.img'' file in ''C:\android-tools''

If you followed this tutorial correctly, you already copied your desired rom your onto your MicroSD card.

Now we boot into the bootloader again, this time we select recovery.

Go to: wipe | format>and select: wipe data/factory reset (this may take a while), then select wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache.

Go back to main menu in EXT4 recovery and select ''install from sdcard'' select ''Reaper_V2.1.ZIP''. After the rom is installed turn your phone off again.

Boot into recovery, connect your phone to your computer and select fastboot on your phone.

Type:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img [press enter]

After it's successfully installed, turn of your phone and just boot normally. It may take a while for your phone to boot up.

Your phone is unlocked,rooted and has a custom ROM.

Enjoy

Note: Some new ICS roms require different kind of HBOOT. I use Fallout v5.0.0 without any problems.

Just press the 'Thanks' button instead of saying thanks.

Changelog:

*03-03-2012 Updated guide
    *14-03-2012 Updated guide
    *12-09-2012 Added Notes/updated guide
    Why did you temp root at step 2? As soon as you restart your phone it'll be gone.
    Why did you temp root at step 2? As soon as you restart your phone it'll be gone.

So it's not permanent? meaning step 2 is unnecessary?
    I will try this... If I want go back to my Stock Rom what I have to do?

My desire S is:
    hboot 2.00.0002

And if I want to install a new Rom after this tutorial I only have to follow the step 5?
    Thanks in advance

No idea how to revert back to stock. And no you have to follow all steps.
    @n0elite

Yeah, if your phone is locked (2. hboot) or s-on (0.98 hboot) if will just give you shell root, useful but not required for what you doing.