[LP][5.0.x][MB886/MOTO8960_JBBL] VanirAOSP - Heavy Metal Android Development

Search This thread

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Enjoy!

TeamVanir presents
VANIR
Yeah, it's got a HEMI.

Vanir was founded on the premise of performance tuning Android. We are based on AOSP, but include features (many of which have been rewritten to be more efficient) from other ROMs.

Our webkit, chromium, and skia are aosp/master merged with codeaurora, with linaro fixes on top.

BY LINARO, I MEAN GLOBAL "-O3 -fstrict-aliasing".... we didn't just switch toolchains. Here at Team Vanir, WE GO HARD.

Features
stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
omniswitch
enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
custom written CRON and init.d.
UI and graphics improvements
custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
improved notification handling (active display & halo are in review also)
usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
animation control
Improved Vanir keyboard
CM's profiles & quicksettings
additional quicksetting tiles
immersive mode
statusbar mods
clock & battery mods
lockscreen blur and other mods
soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
yatta yatta yatta

Sources

VanirAOSP
Kernel

Credits
Thanks to Peter Alfonso, CM, the Fruits & Veggies Project, Rascarlo, Pawitp, AOKP, GaryD9, Androcom, Chevycam94, Team EOS, Anarkia1976 for his kernel, and JakeDay for stocking our CRANE GAME with plush toys.

Gapps - Vanir recommends the latest goo.im gapps or DHOs gapps

Instructions

First time, be gentle:
1. Make sure that you have the latest CWM/Philz/TWRP
2. If coming from any other ROM, do a factory reset and wipe /system
3. Proceed with "been around the block instructions"

Been around the block:
1, wipe dalvik and cache
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash Gapps
4. Apply NFC Workaround (for MB886; see note below)
5. Reboot & Profit

For fast support, visit us on Google+ at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111378032131473754160

Donations
If you would like to thank us for our hard work, you can do so here, or you can find Donation links for all of us in the About Team Vanir section of Settings in the ROM:
NuclearMistake
Sonicxml
DHO
PrimeDirective
Styr

Disclaimer: If you brick your phone, or drop it because it's so buttery, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

Download: MB886 (JBBL)

All Other Moto Builds (do not use MOTO_MSM8960_JBBL anymore; it is deprecated)

ISSUES/NOTES:
- NFC Service causes infinite FC-loop upon boot. Workaround is to delete the NFC APKs from recovery.

Last edited:

TabascoTX

Jun 13, 2009
South Central Texas
Redmi 9A
Look what I found while Googling for moto-msm8960! This ROM is very customizable and reminds me of Carbon. Enjoy!

Ah Heeeelllll YEEAAHH!!!... Nice...Downloading this right now..

Update: So far all running smoothly. I highly recommend DHO's Gapps. They are VERY minimalist, no Gmail, no YouTube, no maps,pretty much only the play store. Anything you find missing you can download from the play store anyways and the apps wont be tied to the OS. Runs sweet so far, gonna use it as a daily driver for a few days and report back.

Last edited:

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Good job in finding this rom but if this is not something on development or you are working on then this is a rom sharing which should be posted at the general forum instead i believe like all others are doing.

Vanir has been building for our family this entire year -- the nightlies are hosted on official Vanir servers -- and no one's known about it except xt907 guys. That's a major shame for all rom lovers and crackflashers. So I took it upon myself to be a good-faith "thread maintainer" and spread the word :good:

Let's be honest, bro, no one looks in General for roms. It's a graveyard there. These are official nightlies, and they deserve the respect of being in Development. If Team Vanir ever makes an official thread, I'll take this down.

TabascoTX

Jun 13, 2009
South Central Texas
Redmi 9A
Something I noticed on this rom,Carbon and Pac Roms is under the Preferred Network types,It never wants to stick with anything but GSM/WCDMA. Either in Auto or not,it changes back to that after you exit the screen. Even after I checked the "4636" dialer code,it never kicks to LTE even when I know im in a ATT LTE area.(was in San Antonio earlier today)..Is it just a Rom issue?

Blackest Pain

May 27, 2013
Something I noticed on this rom,Carbon and Pac Roms is under the Preferred Network types,It never wants to stick with anything but GSM/WCDMA. Either in Auto or not,it changes back to that after you exit the screen. Even after I checked the "4636" dialer code,it never kicks to LTE even when I know im in a ATT LTE area.(was in San Antonio earlier today)..Is it just a Rom issue?

From what I know, its a CM (or aosp, can't remember) related bug and roms that use it as their base have this issue.

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: TabascoTX

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Something I noticed on this rom,Carbon and Pac Roms is under the Preferred Network types,It never wants to stick with anything but GSM/WCDMA.

That's odd. I get LTE out of the box and the Settings Preferred Network is set to Global. I changed to GSM preferred without issue to boost battery life (H+ icon). ATT uses a weird APN for LTE, so it could be that. (I'm on Tmo.) Good luck!

TabascoTX

Jun 13, 2009
South Central Texas
Redmi 9A
From what I know, its a CM (or aosp, can't remember) related bug and roms that use it as their base have this issue.

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OK,well been running Batakangs Stock based rom. Is there a fix for LTE on ASOP or CM? Ive only found a couple of roms based on Stock,kinda frustrating to loose LTE. Other than,this ROM is rock solid.Battery is drain is minimal. Deff a daily driver if someone could work out the LTE thing. Wifi tethering works too.

Last edited:

mauchito

Sep 17, 2013
It looks like Carbon ROM, clean KitKat style. It works really good, the only thing that I am noticing is the battery is lasting a little less than with Carbon, but it is still ok.

governmentissuejoe

Apr 3, 2013
Apparently one of the developers of this rom has a personal version as well called Commotio. If anyone is interested here's the link to the builds http://www.emccann.net/dho/3-Vanir-mirror/4-nighties/. It seems to be more up to date as of this writing. I am currently using it and like it. Some of the things I've noticed so far are different navbar icons, more blue in the theme, added performance control app, themed torch app, and commotio boot animation.

mauchito

Sep 17, 2013
Apparently one of the developers of this rom has a personal version as well called Commotio. If anyone is interested here's the link to the builds http://www.emccann.net/dho/3-Vanir-mirror/4-nighties/. It seems to be more up to date as of this writing. I am currently using it and like it. Some of the things I've noticed so far are different navbar icons, more blue in the theme, added performance control app, themed torch app, and commotio boot animation.

Thanks!

Have you noticed anything different in performance or battery life?

TabascoTX

Jun 13, 2009
South Central Texas
Redmi 9A

But are all the roms compatible with the Atrix HD?

mauchito

Sep 17, 2013
But are all the roms compatible with the Atrix HD?

No, you need to check the name of the folder, it's based on the date of the nightly. Then, when you enter, search for the one that ends with "moto_msm8960". That's the one for this phone. Example: "B65-Commotio-moto_msm8960".

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
OP updated to include Commotio builds. Thanks for the heads-up @governmentissuejoe.

Commotio is customized by Vanir member DHO and includes different themes/icons, settings organization, etc. It's the same core as Vanir - it just looks different.

If you want to increase battery life, I recommend installing arrrghhh's kernel and tweaking the settings. Wheatley is worth a try also.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enjoy!

TeamVanir presents
    VANIR
    Yeah, it's got a HEMI.

Vanir was founded on the premise of performance tuning Android. We are based on AOSP, but include features (many of which have been rewritten to be more efficient) from other ROMs.

Our webkit, chromium, and skia are aosp/master merged with codeaurora, with linaro fixes on top.

BY LINARO, I MEAN GLOBAL "-O3 -fstrict-aliasing".... we didn't just switch toolchains. Here at Team Vanir, WE GO HARD.

Features
    stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
    omniswitch
    enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
    custom written CRON and init.d.
    UI and graphics improvements
    custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
    improved notification handling (active display & halo are in review also)
    usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
    animation control
    Improved Vanir keyboard
    CM's profiles & quicksettings
    additional quicksetting tiles
    immersive mode
    statusbar mods
    clock & battery mods
    lockscreen blur and other mods
    soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
    busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
    yatta yatta yatta

Sources

VanirAOSP
    Kernel

Credits
    Thanks to Peter Alfonso, CM, the Fruits & Veggies Project, Rascarlo, Pawitp, AOKP, GaryD9, Androcom, Chevycam94, Team EOS, Anarkia1976 for his kernel, and JakeDay for stocking our CRANE GAME with plush toys.

Gapps - Vanir recommends the latest goo.im gapps or DHOs gapps

Instructions

First time, be gentle:
    1. Make sure that you have the latest CWM/Philz/TWRP
    2. If coming from any other ROM, do a factory reset and wipe /system
    3. Proceed with "been around the block instructions"

Been around the block:
    1, wipe dalvik and cache
    2. Flash ROM
    3. Flash Gapps
    4. Apply NFC Workaround (for MB886; see note below)
    5. Reboot & Profit

For fast support, visit us on Google+ at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111378032131473754160

Donations
    If you would like to thank us for our hard work, you can do so here, or you can find Donation links for all of us in the About Team Vanir section of Settings in the ROM:
    NuclearMistake
    Sonicxml
    DHO
    PrimeDirective
    Styr

Disclaimer: If you brick your phone, or drop it because it's so buttery, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

Download: MB886 (JBBL)

All Other Moto Builds (do not use MOTO_MSM8960_JBBL anymore; it is deprecated)

ISSUES/NOTES:
    - NFC Service causes infinite FC-loop upon boot. Workaround is to delete the NFC APKs from recovery.
    I have just discovered that VANIR AOSP has posted 5.0.2 nighties for the moto_msm8960_jbbl.
    Heres the link if anyone wants to try this:
    http://www.emccann.net/nuclearmistake/VanirAOSPNightlies/
    Good job in finding this rom but if this is not something on development or you are working on then this is a rom sharing which should be posted at the general forum instead i believe like all others are doing.

Vanir has been building for our family this entire year -- the nightlies are hosted on official Vanir servers -- and no one's known about it except xt907 guys. That's a major shame for all rom lovers and crackflashers. So I took it upon myself to be a good-faith "thread maintainer" and spread the word :good:

Let's be honest, bro, no one looks in General for roms. It's a graveyard there. These are official nightlies, and they deserve the respect of being in Development. If Team Vanir ever makes an official thread, I'll take this down.
    This would probably be my daily driver if only the battery life was better. I just like the feel of it. For now I've dropped back to validus.

Sent from my ATRIX HD using xda app-developers app