how to unlock bootloader and s off after u took sense 5 update(5.18)

Search This thread

ashdroid590

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks. Worked awesomely fine on ATT HOX 4.2.2 after some initial hiccups.

Just to help other people:

1. Weaksauce seems to be replaced by Sunshine. Link remains the same.
2. Sunshine helped in temp root but after running rumrunner, needed to regain root each time rumrunner was waiting for adb. Disconnecting the device on startup, regaining root from sunshine and connecting at least 20 sec before the 120 sec marker was the key.
3. Sunshine also caused some instability at times, device crashed soon after regaining root. Started all over again in that case.

3 pourings of stinky rum and bootloader was unlocked. Cheers! :D

Reactions: scorpiopantera

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011

2. Sunshine helped in temp root but after running rumrunner, needed to regain root each time rumrunner was waiting for adb. Disconnecting the device on startup, regaining root from sunshine and connecting at least 20 sec before the 120 sec marker was the key.
3. Sunshine also caused some instability at times, device crashed soon after regaining root. Started all over again in that case.

Sunshine will give you s off by itself. If you paid for sunshine,why didn't you just run that and let it do its thing?

ashdroid590

Oct 20, 2014
Sunshine will give you s off by itself. If you paid for sunshine,why didn't you just run that and let it do its thing?

Sunshine was crashing on my device. It tried to gain temp root so that it can run a test to see if it will work or not. Payment step would have came later if the test results were positive. Sunshine was crashing during the test and could never reach the test results stage.

Reactions: scotty1223

scorpiopantera

Jul 13, 2011
Mesa, AZ

So it worked for you! I haven't gotten the chance to do it. Tonight I am going to do it.

Zach1928

Jul 3, 2014
Tempe

So did you use weaksauce or Sunshine in the end? Looks like weaksauce should still work for 4.2.2 since its so old

Edit- Does Rumrunner install a recovery kernel or no? I'm curious if this just roots it and gets S-OFF at the end at which point you can boot to recovery and flash CWM/TWRP like normal

Last edited:

ashdroid590

Oct 20, 2014
So did you use weaksauce or Sunshine in the end? Looks like weaksauce should still work for 4.2.2 since its so old

Edit- Does Rumrunner install a recovery kernel or no? I'm curious if this just roots it and gets S-OFF at the end at which point you can boot to recovery and flash CWM/TWRP like normal

I used Sunshine. No idea about Weaksauce. It was some time ago so I do not remember exactly, but I think you are correct about Rumrunner only unlocking the bootloader. I remember pushing the CWM recovery through ADB on my phone.

RickShelton

Sep 23, 2010
NC
Yes , i did the exact same thing and it works . I used weaksauce to get temporary access to root while i was running rumrunner , and it finally gave in :). Good stuff by the developers. Sending my contribution and thanks to them soon !
Just breaking it down in case a newbie (like i was 3 days ago) can make his/her life simpler.
1. rumrunner works in most cases for HTC ONE X (AT&T , USA) version for getting S-OFF. But it needs root access. One way to try and do this is to get WeakSauce installed on your phone (i also installed SuperSU from the app store) .
2. Now once u start executing rumrunner , make sure you use weaksauce to get super user access . Rumrunner will reboot ur machine ,and sometimes weaksauce did not work on my phone after a reboot , and in such cases i manually ran the app on the phone (though rum-runner says no). This lets rumrunner continue and get your phone to S-OFF successfully.
3. Once rumrunner reports that its done (pouring..followed by something that suggests its done, cant remember what , right now), you will get S-OFF on your device ( reboot into bootloader by pressing vol down +power) and check the status.
4. After this you can do anything you want ! like install cyanogenmod (cyanogenmod evita , i run cm11 snapshot 10)

And these developers are awesome ! Also @grigoriisii , sorry if this looks like im hijacking the thread , just trying to give a bit more details for the lazy one/newbie checking the last post :p

jcase
beaups
mattlgroff
Dr_Drache - lots of testing
AND THE RUMMRUNNER TEAM.

This worked on my never been rooted AT&T HTC One X stock version 5.18 Software and Android 4.2.2 :)
Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Johnrob011045

Oct 15, 2013
Didn't work but I think it helped.

please report about your experience if u tried this method. thanks
I managed to get mine S-OFF with the old revone tool. Rumrunner told me an unsecure kernel was necessary and no amount of flashing will gain S-OFF. What I did was the weaksauce for temp root, flashify from the play store to flash Philz Custom Recovery and used the Revone to switch to S-OFF and Unlock the bootloader. I had to delete my recovery a couple times before I managed to flash Philz and CMW wasn't working when I flashed cm12. I can confirm it's in fact possible to unlock bootloader, root and S-Off 5.18 update.

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
This worked like a charm. I had a one x lying around not being used, so I thought I'd give this method a shot. I installed weaksauce, and thought it wasn't holding root upon reboot. I just had to wait it out for 15 seconds, and I would see the bluetooth icon flash on the status bar, and then I would see a message "Root Activated". Rumrummer failed the first time, but went all the way through on the second pass.

Thanks for the tutorial!

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Worked on my Rogers HTC One X that was already rooted with an unlocked bootloader. Once the program finished, I had s-off :)

Relevant info:
Rogers HTC One X
H.boot: 2.14.0000
Radio: 0.23a.32.09.29
ROM: 3.17.631.2.

rabies876

Oct 21, 2012
I am totally new to the one x world moreover its my only phone that I love very much.

Please, don't say am asking too much could someone kindly make a video for person like me who is in need of your help.

Thanks you.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Free mobile app

rabies876

Oct 21, 2012
No, unable to unlock it.
I've tried: hasoon2000. I just read about firewater.

I don't know which method will work. I need help.
I'm rocking sense 5. Hboot 5:18.

HTC One X using XDA

rabies876

Oct 21, 2012
Hasoon or firewater, which?
If, its firewater the download link has been removed.

HTC One X using XDA

rabies876

Oct 21, 2012
Should I download the universal version for at&t?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok it worked on my att htc one x but you doing this at your own risk. there is no liability what so ever. YOUR OWN RISK.
    ACTUALLY ITS SIMPLE.
    ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO THE DEVS THAT SPENT LOTS OF TIME TO DEVELOP THE TOOLS USED HERE.
    1. GO HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699091 and temporarily root your device. i had to do multiple reboots before the reroot actually worked.
    2. then go here http://rumrunner.us/ and READ the instructions , i used the universal tool.
    NOTE: the tool says to not touch your device but my temproot wasnt working at boot so when the tool reboots the phone as soon as the phone starts i was running the weaksauce app to regain root. ( U DONT HAVE TO DO THIS IF THE SCRIPT REROOTS YOUR PHONE AT START UP LIKE IT SUPPOSE TO. MINE WAS ACTING FUNNY SO I DID IT MANUALLY EVERYTIME IT RESTARTED THE SYSTEM.

NOW I HAVE S OFF AND UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER ON 5.18 SOFTWARE. ONE MORE TIME IF I HELPED U CAN PRESS THANKS BUTTON BUT THE CREDIT GOES TO THE DEVELOPER OF THIS TOOLS
    jcase
    beaups
    mattlgroff
    AND THE RUMMRUNNER TEAM.

GOOD LUCK.
    please report here if it works for you.

please report about your experience if u tried this method. thanks
    This worked for me as well i now have s-off
    Wow glad to know someone else did this too !

ok it worked on my att htc one x but you doing this at your own risk. there is no liability what so ever. YOUR OWN RISK.
    ACTUALLY ITS SIMPLE.
    ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO THE DEVS THAT SPENT LOTS OF TIME TO DEVELOP THE TOOLS USED HERE.
    1. GO HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699091 and temporarily root your device. i had to do multiple reboots before the reroot actually worked.
    2. then go here http://rumrunner.us/ and READ the instructions , i used the universal tool.
    NOTE: the tool says to not touch your device but my temproot wasnt working at boot so when the tool reboots the phone as soon as the phone starts i was running the weaksauce app to regain root. ( U DONT HAVE TO DO THIS IF THE SCRIPT REROOTS YOUR PHONE AT START UP LIKE IT SUPPOSE TO. MINE WAS ACTING FUNNY SO I DID IT MANUALLY EVERYTIME IT RESTARTED THE SYSTEM.

NOW I HAVE S OFF AND UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER ON 5.18 SOFTWARE. ONE MORE TIME IF I HELPED U CAN PRESS THANKS BUTTON BUT THE CREDIT GOES TO THE DEVELOPER OF THIS TOOLS
    jcase
    beaups
    mattlgroff
    AND THE RUMMRUNNER TEAM.

GOOD LUCK.

Yes , i did the exact same thing and it works . I used weaksauce to get temporary access to root while i was running rumrunner , and it finally gave in :). Good stuff by the developers. Sending my contribution and thanks to them soon !
    Just breaking it down in case a newbie (like i was 3 days ago) can make his/her life simpler.
    1. rumrunner works in most cases for HTC ONE X (AT&T , USA) version for getting S-OFF. But it needs root access. One way to try and do this is to get WeakSauce installed on your phone (i also installed SuperSU from the app store) .
    2. Now once u start executing rumrunner , make sure you use weaksauce to get super user access . Rumrunner will reboot ur machine ,and sometimes weaksauce did not work on my phone after a reboot , and in such cases i manually ran the app on the phone (though rum-runner says no). This lets rumrunner continue and get your phone to S-OFF successfully.
    3. Once rumrunner reports that its done (pouring..followed by something that suggests its done, cant remember what , right now), you will get S-OFF on your device ( reboot into bootloader by pressing vol down +power) and check the status.
    4. After this you can do anything you want ! like install cyanogenmod (cyanogenmod evita , i run cm11 snapshot 10)

And these developers are awesome ! Also @grigoriisii , sorry if this looks like im hijacking the thread , just trying to give a bit more details for the lazy one/newbie checking the last post :p

jcase
    beaups
    mattlgroff
    AND THE RUMMRUNNER TEAM.