Am I making a mistake getting Find 7?

Search This thread

dud3me

Dec 9, 2010
The title is a bit misleading: I'm getting the phone for my brother. I placed an order today cos he's avid on getting the find 7. However, since he probably won't root it I feel that Lg G 3 would be the better choice. I mean he only knows about the Find 7 because of me.

He really likes to play games with high spec requirements (modern combat etc.) and wants to get the best specs for that reason. He would only be able to get the 16gb version of G3 with less ram and he'd need to get the phone on a contract for it to be in his price range. The contract isn't really an issue, though.

I'd personally get the G3 just because it's a lot better size, but he really seems to want that 3gb of ram and it's his money... How much memory does the 16gb version have reserved for apps btw? Does it have unified storage?

I'll probably cancel the Find 7 order tomorrow just cause I know he probably won't root it and it's a lot easier to get the G3 then to order FInd 7.

I hope you guys can give some insight to this phone and how it has been for you. And even give straight up advice my brother. :)

PS I know these threads are annoying, but he's been saving up long time for the phone and I don't want him to make a mistake.

Edit: Meant to post this on the Q&A section!!!

Last edited:

KaliKot

Sep 15, 2010
Well having worked at Oppo, (although we only carry the 7a here) and choosing to go for the G3 afterwards, I can say that the main feature you want from the Find 7 would be the VOOC super fast charging. It charges from 0-full in roughly an hour while the G3 has to charge for like 2 1/2 hours or so.

Other than that, I feel that the aesthetics and size definitely go to the G3 as well as the camera. Its a toss up between the screen and sound quality.

Another thing is that the Find 7's colorOS firmware only comes with Jellybean while the G3 already comes with Kitkat.

What's really great about colorOS are the screen off gestures which you can assign to launch apps, the camera, play music and adjust the volume without even opening your phone as well as the gesture panel which you can assign to do the same as well while you're using the phone

I wish the G3 had those features too sometimes but it has alot of strong points with its stock firmware too

chapruk

Jul 13, 2012
Bandung
IMO G3 is not good for high end games.. i get a lot force close when playing heavy games that run smoothly on my previous nexus 5..
i dont know about find 7.. but for now G3 software is bad.. i hope xda developer can unlock the bootloader and make a good custom ROM.. so i dont waste my money on this bautiful phone..

jph8tr

Oct 22, 2007
What "heavy games" are force closing? I've had the G3 for several weeks and have yet to see one force close.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

lossah

Jul 23, 2014
What's really great about colorOS are the screen off gestures which you can assign to launch apps, the camera, play music and adjust the volume without even opening your phone

There should be an app that allows you to change volume while device is sleeping tbh. Or? Sounds possible to me, but maybe not. :p

Last edited:

jph8tr

Oct 22, 2007
im using D855(10j) playing brave frontier with all effect on and it getting force close almost everytime..

Good news/bad news. The good? The game ran flawlessly on my G3 without any force close, though it's not my cup of tea. Bad? You may have some other issue with your phone. Possibly something you've installed is interacting with the game(s)? Are you using ART, it's still beta and can have issues with some apps? I didn't have any issues running it, but switched back to Dalvik after rooting because xposed doesn't play with ART. There are differences in our G3's , I have 3gb/32gb and we have different radio frequencies but that shouldn't make a difference here. In my experience, custom roms/kernels add function, speed and battery life but more often than not at the cost of stability. Waiting for a custom rom to fix your stability issue might not be the best strategy. Good luck squashing your bug!!!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

The G3 is underpowered for a QHD. You'll notice it in games and intensive CPU/GPU applications.

On line reviews have shown that frame rate can be affected slightly with some games, but I've yet to use an app or game where this was noticeable in real world use and most of those same on line reviews have stated the same. Every game I've played has run fine and looked good...every one! QHD may have an impact, but "underpowered" is a bit of a stretch.

Batfink33

Good news/bad news. The good? The game ran flawlessly on my G3 without any force close, though it's not my cup of tea. Bad? You may have some other issue with your phone. Possibly something you've installed is interacting with the game(s)? Are you using ART, it's still beta and can have issues with some apps? I didn't have any issues running it, but switched back to Dalvik after rooting because xposed doesn't play with ART. There are differences in our G3's , I have 3gb/32gb and we have different radio frequencies but that shouldn't make a difference here. In my experience, custom roms/kernels add function, speed and battery life but more often than not at the cost of stability. Waiting for a custom rom to fix your stability issue might not be the best strategy. Good luck squashing your bug!!!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

On line reviews have shown that frame rate can be affected slightly with some games, but I've yet to use an app or game where this was noticeable in real world use and most of those same on line reviews have stated the same. Every game I've played has run fine and looked good...every one! QHD may have an impact, but "underpowered" is a bit of a stretch.
I was a bit "over the top" with "underpowered". I would say the 801 is at its upper limits in rendering all the pixels. The screen is also using a lot of power and creating more heat which is causing throttling which in turn is causing performance issues(see Samsung's new QHD display tech which uses less power). The 2/16gb model which we have in the UK is pretty horrible to use, a lot of redraws,lag and stutter.

xRamz

Aug 14, 2013
Melbourne
I got the 16/2 model. I find it's good. Greenified most apps. Always have about 500mb-800mb free ram. Using apex, kept in memory no redraws. Running 10j, ART. I like the phone :p

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
im using D855(10j) playing brave frontier with all effect on and it getting force close almost everytime..
This is true. If you crank the graphics in BF it does indeed crash out. A lot. Nexus 7 does it too though not quite as much as it's lower res than we are but higher than 1080 on the same platform so it struggles with the maxed effects/drops.