[APP]Quick Wifi Switcher (now with widgets and Eclair support)

Search This thread

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
Quick WiFi Switcher is an app to quickly switch between your (configured) APs.
This is useful, when you're in an area where more than one configured AP is available. Sometimes Android decides to switch between them for different (unknown to me) reasons. Reconnection to the AP of your choice is now fewer clicks away than through the settings.

You start it by long-pressing your search button, or via shortcut.

Info shown on top:

• Current SSID
  • Current IP
  • Current Signal (bar and RSSI)
In the selection list you have the following info:

• SSID
  • Signal strength (Icon and RSSI)
  • Encryption settings
  • Configuration state (Green -> configured, Red -> unconfigured)
  • Connection state (connected AP is selected in the list)
The list contains all discoverable APs in range.

The following functions are implemented to date:

• Enable/Disable WiFI
  • Scan for surrounding APs (automatically on startup / manually via button)
  • Connect to previously configured AP
  • Reconnect current AP
  • Open WiFi Settings for unconfigured APs (for now)
  • User Setting for closing on selection

Widgets

There are two widgets implemented for now:
  • Info Widget (1x2)
  • Switcher Widget (1x1)
The Info Widget shows information about the currently connected network:
  • SSID
  • IP-Address
  • signal level (RSSI and Icon)
For the Switcher Widget you have to choose a configured network. This will be monitored. Whenever the system scans for APs, the widget will update itself with the current info about the chosen network.
  • A network in range has a signal level icon
  • If the network is the current one, the text will be gray, else red
  • Touching the widget will automatically connect to the chosen AP

Changelog

Version 0.6
  • support for Eclair (2.1) added
  • widgets added

Version 0.5
  • Initial Version

Android 2.2 is needed for now, will check if 2.1 is possible.
Android 2.1+ is needed.

Screenshots

INFO:
If you downloaded Version 0.6 before and can't install, please redownload. The manifest error has been fixed.

Attachments

• QuickWifiSwitcher_0.6.apk
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,005
Last edited:

bodger_uk

Jul 16, 2010
I would really love tasker integration. I have 2 wireless networks at home, a public one, and a backup one. I have to remember to switch ssid at night so the phone can do it's rsync thing. Programatically selecting the right said at the right time would be hugely beneficial.

walda

Apr 2, 2010
Hi,
looks nice.

What do you think about checking every configurable seconds if a better known Wifi is available and switch then automatically?

Have 2 routers at home, android does not switch automatically even if its the same ssid. Tried with different ssid too, android doesnt switch. You have to manually reconnect, then it takes the better one.

Wobstar

Nov 13, 2007
Brecht
just DL'ed your apk-file, upon install, it says (in details view of app manager): Could not open as apk file.
When I click your QR code link in the topic, there's nothing there either...

Wacco001

Mar 26, 2011
.. just around the corner !
This is useful, when you're in an area where more than one configured AP is available. Sometimes Android decides to switch between them for different (unknown to me) reasons. Reconnection to the AP of your choice is now fewer clicks away than through the settings.

Info shown on top:

• Current SSID
  • Current IP

• SSID
  • Encryption settings

• Enable/Disable WiFI
  • Reconnect current AP

The initial version is 0.5.

Screenshots

Nice tool .. :)

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
I would really love tasker integration. I have 2 wireless networks at home, a public one, and a backup one. I have to remember to switch ssid at night so the phone can do it's rsync thing. Programatically selecting the right said at the right time would be hugely beneficial.

I'll look into it, but I'm not familiar with tasker integration for now. Consider it listed.

Hi,
looks nice.

What do you think about checking every configurable seconds if a better known Wifi is available and switch then automatically?

Have 2 routers at home, android does not switch automatically even if its the same ssid. Tried with different ssid too, android doesnt switch. You have to manually reconnect, then it takes the better one.

This is the feature I intended to implement, but for the beginning I chose the manual approach. Surely will be done...

Nice app..just what I was looking for. As for my two cents, I think it would be great to create widgets assigned to particular ssids that can be shown on the home screen. This would prove to be a quick way to select the ssids.

Also a thing I already thought about. No Widgets done so far, but shouldn't be that hard.

just DL'ed your apk-file, upon install, it says (in details view of app manager): Could not open as apk file.

Did you try to d/l from my site? I just downloaded and everything was fine. The QR-Code is not from me, but the new killer feature of xda. Please report if d/l from my site worked. We'll have to find another way if it does not. BTW I sometimes face the issue that I'm not able to open apk's from the browser download notification, but only from a file explorer (but that may be my ROM). Did not find out a pattern in this though.

@all: Thanks for the feedback. Good to see that there is demand and the needed functions are mainly those I initially thougth of.

slow23

Reactions: walda

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
Good work mate, im not near Wi-Fi so cant test right now but will tomorrow hopefullly,im using Galaxy S2.:)

stonedandhappy

Sep 1, 2006
This is exactly what I need.

I have 2 routers at home too and I can be sitting 2 feet from one but my phone still hangs on to the weaker of the two.

As mentioned above it would be great if it could be configured to switch to the strongest authorised access point automatically.

Downloading now and will report my findings.

stonedandhappy

Sep 1, 2006
OK. Problems here.

Desire S, S-Off, Rooted, running Virtuous Unity 1.29.

First issue I noticed was that as soon as I installed it I couldn't access any of my access points in the house.

It was finding them but wouldn't connect even if was sitting right beside it.

The next problem I had was constant forced closures. Almost every app that I opened would force close.

Now I understand that both of these could[/c] be rom issues, since this is a new revision, but seeing as both happened right after installing your app I suspect it's not.

Both of these issues happened as soon as I used you app.

Wobstar

Nov 13, 2007
Brecht
Did you try to d/l from my site? I just downloaded and everything was fine. The QR-Code is not from me, but the new killer feature of xda. Please report if d/l from my site worked. We'll have to find another way if it does not. BTW I sometimes face the issue that I'm not able to open apk's from the browser download notification, but only from a file explorer (but that may be my ROM). Did not find out a pattern in this though.

@all: Thanks for the feedback. Good to see that there is demand and the needed functions are mainly those I initially thougth of.

slow23

I tried to download from your site, but get the same issue.
I downloaded directly from my Android browser and once from my computer and transferred to the phone.
I'm on stock 2.1 ROM (rooted)

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
OK. Problems here.

Desire S, S-Off, Rooted, running Virtuous Unity 1.29.

First issue I noticed was that as soon as I installed it I couldn't access any of my access points in the house.

It was finding them but wouldn't connect even if was sitting right beside it.

The next problem I had was constant forced closures. Almost every app that I opened would force close.

Now I understand that both of these could[/c] be rom issues, since this is a new revision, but seeing as both happened right after installing your app I suspect it's not.

Both of these issues happened as soon as I used you app.

Wow, that sounds bad. Could you send me a logcat of when this happens. I can't really imagine any function of the app cause such trouble, but I will look into it, why it would not connect.
The force closes cannot come from the app, since it does nothing to the system aside scanning wifi APs and connecting to them. Maybe it's really ROM related.

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
I tried to download from your site, but get the same issue.
I downloaded directly from my Android browser and once from my computer and transferred to the phone.
I'm on stock 2.1 ROM (rooted)

First of all, what device are you using.
Second, the app has a min sdk level of 8, so Froyo is required, will update first post to reflect that. I 'll see if I can get it running on Eclair.

Wobstar

Nov 13, 2007
Brecht
First of all, what device are you using.
Second, the app has a min sdk level of 8, so Froyo is required, will update first post to reflect that. I 'll see if I can get it running on Eclair.

I'm using an Xperia X10, I suspected that it would be due to OS compatibility.
That's why I asked in my first reply.

stonedandhappy

Sep 1, 2006
Wow, that sounds bad. Could you send me a logcat of when this happens. I can't really imagine any function of the app cause such trouble, but I will look into it, why it would not connect.
The force closes cannot come from the app, since it does nothing to the system aside scanning wifi APs and connecting to them. Maybe it's really ROM related.

OK, for some reason the app seems top have changed my wireless security on the phone to WPA instead of WEP, so the phone was trying to connect with the wrong security protocol.

Managed to sort that out pretty easily once I knew what was wrong.

I still had terrible problems with FCing apps so resorted to reflashing my rom.

I'm going to give it another try and if I encounter any issues I'll let you know what happens and post a log.

stonedandhappy

Sep 1, 2006
OK, here is a little update.

Since I reflashed my rom and reinstalled the app it has worked fine.

Only 1 minor bug but it wan't a problem.

On a few occasions when I used it yesterday, rather than opening the app GUI when pressed, it took me straight to the android wifi configuration page.

It only happened on a few occasions and hasn't happened at all today but I thought that you should know. Didn't bother me but someone will surely have issues with it.

Anyway, thanks for a great addition to my Desire S

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
OK, here is a little update.

Since I reflashed my rom and reinstalled the app it has worked fine.

Only 1 minor bug but it wan't a problem.

On a few occasions when I used it yesterday, rather than opening the app GUI when pressed, it took me straight to the android wifi configuration page.

It only happened on a few occasions and hasn't happened at all today but I thought that you should know. Didn't bother me but someone will surely have issues with it.

Anyway, thanks for a great addition to my Desire S

Good to hear your Rom is working correctly again.

For the error you got: Did you start the app via search key? I could imagine since the desire s has no hardware buttons you accidently selected an unknown AP, immediately after the app started.

Would you be so kind and try and verify that?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

stonedandhappy

Sep 1, 2006
No, I have it on my home page so that if I need to change AP I just press my home button to get to it.

My wifi only picks up my 2 APs and none of my neighbours so no chance of selecting an unknown AP.

As I said it only happened a few times and hasn't happened since. It's working great now. :D

I don't know if, because I let my phone fully discharge yesterday after it happened, that it may have reset the app. A sort of reboot.

It has been working fine since though.

I've yet to try it with public wifi but should get a chance at the weekend so will post my results for you.

slow23

Nov 24, 2006
Rostock
sites.google.com
Hi,

back from vacation. New version with widgets and Eclair support.
Version 0.6
  • widgets added
widget.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Info shown on top:

• Current SSID
    • Current IP

• SSID
    • Encryption settings

• Enable/Disable WiFI
    • Reconnect current AP

Widgets

There are two widgets implemented for now:
    • Info Widget (1x2)
    • Switcher Widget (1x1)
    The Info Widget shows information about the currently connected network:
    • SSID
    • IP-Address
    • signal level (RSSI and Icon)
    For the Switcher Widget you have to choose a configured network. This will be monitored. Whenever the system scans for APs, the widget will update itself with the current info about the chosen network.
    • A network in range has a signal level icon
    • If the network is the current one, the text will be gray, else red
    • Touching the widget will automatically connect to the chosen AP

Changelog

Version 0.6
    • widgets added

Version 0.5
    • Initial Version

Android 2.2 is needed for now, will check if 2.1 is possible.
    Android 2.1+ is needed.

Screenshots

INFO:
    If you downloaded Version 0.6 before and can't install, please redownload. The manifest error has been fixed.

I'll look into it, but I'm not familiar with tasker integration for now. Consider it listed.

Hi,
    looks nice.

This is the feature I intended to implement, but for the beginning I chose the manual approach. Surely will be done...

Nice app..just what I was looking for. As for my two cents, I think it would be great to create widgets assigned to particular ssids that can be shown on the home screen. This would prove to be a quick way to select the ssids.

Also a thing I already thought about. No Widgets done so far, but shouldn't be that hard.

slow23
    Hi,
    immediate fix is up.