Google play will take over Market

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
Just got it.

Edit: I haven't been able to upload my screenshots through the app, have to go on pc

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium[P

Last edited:

jager420

Aug 25, 2010
San Fernando Valley
Google on Tuesday introduced Google Play, a cloud-based service formed from the merger of Android Market, Google Music, and Google eBookstore. It's Google's take on Apple's iTunes Store, with a dash of iCloud.

More details:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/mobility/232602115

I read the article and TBH I still dont get it. Nothing new that I didn't know. Does Google want more people to know about its Market features? I really just dont get what they merged? The market looks the same on my phone as it did before. The market via pc browser didnt change either, so I dont know what the big fuss is.. If someone can explain so my retarded ass gets it that would be much appreciated..

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I read the article and TBH I still dont get it. Nothing new that I didn't know. Does Google want more people to know about its Market features? I really just dont get what they merged? The market looks the same on my phone as it did before. The market via pc browser didnt change either, so I dont know what the big fuss is.. If someone can explain so my retarded ass gets it that would be much appreciated..
OK, I'm going to give this a shot:
1. "The unified store as an effort to eliminate the hassle of moving files between computers and syncing devices."
2. "Google Play is entirely cloud-based so all your music, movies, books, and apps are stored online, always available to you, and you never have to worry about losing them or moving them again,"
3. Compete with Itune store.
4. The interface maybe similar to Market, but the way they store their content and how you retrieve them and the anywhere/anyplace availability is the key.
Example1 for item 1: You have 1000 songs store on your SD card and you back them up in your PC. 2 days later you down load 20 more songs from the Market but using your PC, now you need to sync these songs to your phone. Nope, not with Google play, all your songs are stored online, you can sync these songs directly to your phone.(eliminate the hassle of moving files between computers and syncing devices.

Last edited:

jager420

Aug 25, 2010
San Fernando Valley
OK, I'm going to give this a shot:

2. "Google Play is entirely cloud-based so all your music, movies, books, and apps are stored online, always available to you, and you never have to worry about losing them or moving them again,"
My music was cloud based. I dont know about movies or books because I never bought so I couldnt tell you. It just seems to me that they are highlighting features that have always been there..

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
My music was cloud based. I dont know about movies or books because I never bought so I couldnt tell you. It just seems to me that they are highlighting features that have always been there..

That's the whole idea, it will work for everyone. In your case only music cloud base, other people may have movies or books or what ever. With Google play, it's one place cloud storage. How about other items that I listed??

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Just got it.

Edit: I haven't been able to upload my screenshots through the app, have to go on pc

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium[P

NICE! I know most of ppl think this is stupid but I think Google is making a right move. But if they don't keep up, they will fall behind and so is their business.

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
NICE! I know most of ppl think this is stupid but I think Google is making a right move. But if they don't keep up, they will fall behind and so is their business.

Google is continuing they're progression. Setting themselves up to be the future one stop shop for communication and entertainment.

I like to watch it unfold but I don't care for how invasive Google will eventually be with our information. In Europe you can send Google a letter asking them for all your history with Google services. One gentleman had 15,000 pages sent to him from Google. Google isn't legally obligated to do so in the US.

I'm done rambling now :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

psalm462

May 30, 2009
Franklin, Ohio
if your phone is rooted, it will not allow you to rent movies straight to your phone. I was able to get it start playing when I put the browser into desktop mode on the link it posts, but it just keeps loading. Anyone have any suggestions?

kakistocrat

Nov 9, 2011
Philadelphia
If you are rooted, DO NOT USE GOOGLE PLAY MOVIES.

Google does not allow movies to play on rooted phones, citing licensing issues (though I'm not really sure what having root access has to do with pirating movies).

If you have bought or rented a movie that you haven't watched yet, you can submit a support ticket requesting a refund. I got my refund within a few hours of complaining, so at least they're good about that.

In protest, I will no longer be making any music, movie, or book purchases from Google. I also changed all my privacy settings for my Google account to be least beneficial to Google (ie: no customized ads, etc). I'd like to see all root users that are pissed off by this move do the same. It seems perhaps Google doesn't realize just how many of us there are.

kvswim

Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth, TX

Google does not allow movies to play on rooted phones, citing licensing issues (though I'm not really sure what having root access has to do with pirating movies).

If you have bought or rented a movie that you haven't watched yet, you can submit a support ticket requesting a refund. I got my refund within a few hours of complaining, so at least they're good about that.

In protest, I will no longer be making any music, movie, or book purchases from Google. I also changed all my privacy settings for my Google account to be least beneficial to Google (ie: no customized ads, etc). I'd like to see all root users that are pissed off by this move do the same. It seems perhaps Google doesn't realize just how many of us there are.

...you buy your media?

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010

That's been the case since Google allowed movie renting on their store. Honestly, I don't think it's Google's choice. The movie studios probably have a strong voice when it came to this choice. I'm guessing the movie studios believe that if you're rooted, it'd be easier to get passed the DRM they put in place.

I honestly don't care since I don't watch movies from the Play Store. The majority of Android users most likely never root their phones, thus they don't "lose out" on this option.

myhilo

Apr 27, 2012
Chicagoland
rooted nook color

my nook color has a rooted sd card which has unlocked my 'reader' to so much more. Google Play marks most applications as incompatible, how can I change to something that Google play see as compatible? Other markets will load apps which work, but lately many apps are only available from Google Play. Suggestions anyone? :D

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
my nook color has a rooted sd card which has unlocked my 'reader' to so much more. Google Play marks most applications as incompatible, how can I change to something that Google play see as compatible? Other markets will load apps which work, but lately many apps are only available from Google Play. Suggestions anyone? :D

This is the Droid Charge forum. The Nook Color forum would be a much better place to ask that question.

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like how Google Play just introduced its first physical product, the GSM Galaxy Nexus. $400 out of contract. Damn.

I paid $300 for the Charge and it isn't even listed on the software update slides leaked recently. I hope Google goes with another company instead of Samsung for their next Nexus phone.

As for the Charge, I still like it, but wish I could add ram and a bigger flashdisk to it.

khalilcr

Mar 21, 2012
I like how Google Play just introduced its first physical product, the GSM Galaxy Nexus. $400 out of contract. Damn.

I paid $300 for the Charge and it isn't even listed on the software update slides leaked recently. I hope Google goes with another company instead of Samsung for their next Nexus phone.

As for the Charge, I still like it, but wish I could add ram and a bigger flashdisk to it.

I heard moto might come up with the next google phone, not sure if will keep the nexus name.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA