New (direct) root of .621

Search This thread

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
I posted this on the Rootzwiki forum at
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31737-possible-root-method-for-droidx-on-621-reported-working/
and figured might as well post it here as well.
Since all these devices (Droid 2/R2D2/D2G/DX2 and DX seem to be vulnerable to the same exploit found by phifc at
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/
I have assembled rooting methods for all of them in EzSbf style CD. I have tested it on my D2G, and the same method has been tested by multiple users on the D2/R2D2, and has worked fine.
Credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a 55 meg CD that covers multiple devices.
Special thanks also to themib for testing and troubleshooting on the DroidX2. In fact, since I don't have a DX2, he actually did a majority of the work in finding a method that would work (the method for the D2 and D2G doesn't quite work), and then we worked together to get it assembled and working.

Several people on the rootzwiki forum have reported this to work on the Droid X as well.
This CD is for the D2,R2D2, D2G, and DX on Android version 2.3.4, and the DX2 on 2.3.5.

Of course, like all other things here, I have done my best on this, but there are no guarantees, and anything you do on your phone is at your own risk.
So, without further ado, here is a link for the CD
http://www.mediafire.com/?mim304k214kl41h
and the md5 is
7baee9c34f6ef7ad0b4fa219ae387c68

zac41189

May 16, 2012
Albuquerque
So.. how do you use this? My rezound is my primary phone but just acquired this dx in a barter of sorts today and want some aosp goodness.

My rezound is s-off so I've never had to use cd's or linux or whatever it is you need to do to root this thing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. All the other tutorials out there confused the §hit out of me and I've got no experience in linux.

Stock .621

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
So.. how do you use this?

Stock .621

Its pretty self explanatory, it seems.
You would be doimg the community a great service if you tried it out and posted back. I unfortunately got rid of my dx ad have a dx2 so otherwise i would try it.
Oh.... the dreaded .621 lol
No seriously if ypu go to the wiki link maybe more info.
Post back please

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

newmanx4

Feb 28, 2012
This root method has been confirmed to work by several members over at Rootzwiki.

Sent from my Black Iced X

Dr. J

Jan 8, 2011
Hey all, pretty big n00b here. Long post, I apologize in advance.

Background:
So I had a droid X running on GB ApeX that my friend had helped set up for me, and I recently had to get a replacement bc the screen became pixilated. I figured I'd try to be self-sufficient and back up my old phone, then root this new one, etc., only to find out that apparently .621 is much harder to root.

I tried and failed at the linux milestone SBF method of rooting my new, replacement stock .621 Droid X to .604--for some reason I couldn't boot my macbook into linux mode after burning the disc. Probably my own fault.

Question:
I'm kind of unsure how to utilize the CD you have to download. Do I have to burn it to a disc? And if so, are there specific instructions? I'm pretty fritata when it comes to all of this, so please be gentle!

Thanks in advance!

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I tried and failed at the linux milestone SBF method of rooting my new, replacement stock .621 Droid X to .604--for some reason I couldn't boot my macbook into linux mode after burning the disc. Probably my own fault.

Question:
I'm kind of unsure how to utilize the CD you have to download. Do I have to burn it to a disc? And if so, are there specific instructions? I'm pretty fritata when it comes to all of this, so please be gentle!

Thanks in advance!

You burn the iso image to a disc.

After you have burned the image to a disc put it in your computer and shut your computer down.
Now turn it back on and hold the 'c' key on your keyboard. This should boot you into the inserted disc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

How do you use this

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

Download the image, burn it to a CD, place it in your computer, shut down said computer, turn the computer on and boot from the CD. From there it should be self explanatory.

Note: booting into the disc can be tricky. Some computers require you to press a button (F8 or F12, usually); however, this is completely dependant on the computer you have so it may require some searching to find the instructions for your specific computer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
updated many times see change log

bhigham
/beh modified the root method
based on New D2 root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

How this works
Originally Posted by phifc
There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

originally posted by bhigham/beh
Since all these devices (Droid 2/R2D2/D2G/DX2 and DX seem to be vulnerable to the same exploit found by phifc at

http://rootzwiki.com...nd-droid2-r2d2/
I have assembled rooting methods for all of them in EzSbf style CD. I have tested it on my D2G, and the same method has been tested by multiple users on the D2/R2D2, and has worked fine.
Credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a 55 meg CD that covers multiple devices.
Special thanks also to themib for testing and troubleshooting on the DroidX2. In fact, since I don't have a DX2, he actually did a majority of the work in finding a method that would work (the method for the D2 and D2G doesn't quite work), and then we worked together to get it assembled and working.

This CD is for the D2,R2D2, D2G, and DX on Android version 2.3.4, and the DX2 on 2.3.5.
One note if you have troubles with it not working. It might be necessary to disconnect the phone after it flashes the preinstall and reboots. It seems that some phones may not complete the reboot process before being rebooted by ADB, so you may need to disconnect the phone when it starts booting, and let it boot fully before hooking it back up. when hooked back up, it will be rebooted, and should go on with the process like normal.

Of course, like all other things here, I have done my best on this, but there are no guarantees, and anything you do on your phone is at your own risk.
http://www.mediafire...mim304k214kl41h
and the md5 is
mirrors posted Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

How to verify the file was downloaded correct with
MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

what is ezSBF?
original [TOOL] ezSBF (not for 2.3.4)

Don't let the word Linux scare you, this is just a cd you burn, nothing installs to your pc. Once you burn this CD you are ready to SBF flash anywhere you have a computer, no net connection needed to download any files.
This is an .iso file. It is a complete Linux operating system that you will download, burn to CD (or USB) then boot your pc from CD or USB, this allows your pc to reboot into a different operating system.

Instructions (Mac):
Download .iso
Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
Shut computer down
Hold c key, push power and hold c until you see the Linux OS start
Hit enter at the yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

Instructions (Windows):
Download .iso
Burn iso image to a disk (Instructions, Windows 7 - Vista and XP) or (Load to a USB flash drive)
Reboot PC
Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu (possibly google search how to boot your specific pc from CDROM)
Select boot from CDROM (or USB if you used a flash drive)

Live USB Instructions (Windows):
(Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)(thanks)
Download
UNetBootin for Windows
Download your favorite Linux ISO
Double click the Unetbootin Executable to start the program
(1) Click the Diskimage radio box
(2) browse to select your ISO
(3) Set your target USB drive
(4) click OK to start the creation

unetbootin-live-usb-iso.png

(5) After the USB drive is done select reboot.
(6) During boot enter the boot menu and change USB to boot first, save and reboot.
(7) When booting from UNetbootin select SliTaz

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.

basically read onscreen directions

select DX
don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode in top status bar

press continue
adb will push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
program will reboot to recovery,
manually wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
then select reboot
rooted

error info
when running the program you may see these errors

rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 no such file or directory
no root.img.gz no such file or directory
rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 read only file system

that is fine, it will still work

after flashing files in bootloader, phone reboots to bootloader, instead of normal android operating system..... now what?try disconnecting usb, pull battery,wait a few secs, replace battery, reboot, wait for reboot to complete, reconnect usb

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Magic MD5 root iso

If you planning on making nandroid backups or flashing roms
read [HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

My Lists

Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

edit:
02 Oct 2012 added mac info
16 Nov 2012 reworded
13 Dec 2012 major rewrite

Last edited:

Lemonyy

May 11, 2012
Help

Ok I am having some problems loading up the .iso. I am trying it on a 4gb usb drive and I put the files onto the usb with unetboot. I reboot after all of that and I press F12 for boot options. I click enter on USB Drive, but after that it says operation system not found.

Lemonyy

May 11, 2012
couple things to try
did you verify iso md5 checksum before putting on usb drive
when you have windows running, do you have a boot folder on usb drive, it should be 50mb

Sorry I am a nooby at rooting a DX, but How would I verify the iso md5 checksum. And I deleted everything on my usb till I figure that part out.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
you followed these instructions

(Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)
Download UNetBootin for Windows

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I posted this on the Rootzwiki forum at
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31737-possible-root-method-for-droidx-on-621-reported-working/
    and figured might as well post it here as well.
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/

Several people on the rootzwiki forum have reported this to work on the Droid X as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mim304k214kl41h
    and the md5 is
    updated many times see change log

bhigham
    /beh modified the root method
    based on New D2 root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

How this works
    Originally Posted by phifc
    There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

originally posted by bhigham/beh

http://rootzwiki.com...nd-droid2-r2d2/

One note if you have troubles with it not working. It might be necessary to disconnect the phone after it flashes the preinstall and reboots. It seems that some phones may not complete the reboot process before being rebooted by ADB, so you may need to disconnect the phone when it starts booting, and let it boot fully before hooking it back up. when hooked back up, it will be rebooted, and should go on with the process like normal.

http://www.mediafire...mim304k214kl41h
    and the md5 is
    mirrors posted Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

How to verify the file was downloaded correct with
    MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

what is ezSBF?
    original [TOOL] ezSBF (not for 2.3.4)

Don't let the word Linux scare you, this is just a cd you burn, nothing installs to your pc. Once you burn this CD you are ready to SBF flash anywhere you have a computer, no net connection needed to download any files.
    This is an .iso file. It is a complete Linux operating system that you will download, burn to CD (or USB) then boot your pc from CD or USB, this allows your pc to reboot into a different operating system.

Instructions (Mac):
    Download .iso
    Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
    Shut computer down
    Hold c key, push power and hold c until you see the Linux OS start

Instructions (Windows):
    Download .iso
    Burn iso image to a disk (Instructions, Windows 7 - Vista and XP) or (Load to a USB flash drive)
    Reboot PC
    Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu (possibly google search how to boot your specific pc from CDROM)
    Select boot from CDROM (or USB if you used a flash drive)

(Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)(thanks)
    Download
    UNetBootin for Windows
    Download your favorite Linux ISO

(5) After the USB drive is done select reboot.
    (6) During boot enter the boot menu and change USB to boot first, save and reboot.
    (7) When booting from UNetbootin select SliTaz

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.

basically read onscreen directions

select DX
    don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
    select charge only usb mode in top status bar

press continue
    adb will push
    Code:
    data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
    program will prompt you to
    manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
    program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
    Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
    adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
    program will reboot to recovery,
    manually wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
    then select reboot
    rooted

error info
    when running the program you may see these errors

rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 no such file or directory
    no root.img.gz no such file or directory
    rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 read only file system

that is fine, it will still work

after flashing files in bootloader, phone reboots to bootloader, instead of normal android operating system..... now what?try disconnecting usb, pull battery,wait a few secs, replace battery, reboot, wait for reboot to complete, reconnect usb

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Magic MD5 root iso

If you planning on making nandroid backups or flashing roms
    read [HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

My Lists

Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

edit:
    02 Oct 2012 added mac info
    16 Nov 2012 reworded
    13 Dec 2012 major rewrite
    You can use a usb flash drive with unetbootin. It has to boot off of the cd or usb, so daemon tools probably wouldn't work.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    no one has has confirmed that this works on a mac

you can burn iso with this
    How to burn an .iso on mac
    and boot from cd
    Boot your Mac from CD, DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive
    easiest way to boot to any device other than a Mac’s internal hard drive is to press and hold the Option key immediately after hearing the Mac startup chime. Continuing to hold this button down will bring up a menu where you can select a disc or drive to boot from. Use the keyboard arrows to choose your boot device, then press the Enter key. The computer will start up from the chosen volume, but bear in mind performance will likely be much slower than when you normally operate your Mac. This is especially true of USB flash drives.

Rather than hold the Option key, you could instead just press & hold the C key if you’re booting from a CD or DVD disc. This will bypass the selection menu and immediately start from the disc. It won’t work for USB and FireWire drives, though.

use a virtual machine

or should be able to use sbf_flash and adb, posted possible method here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31737-root-droid-x-root-method-for-234-45621-does-not-require-milestone-sbf/page__st__60#entry911224

if someone gets this to work on a mac, please post what method you used
    Hello All,

I have read may threads, including this one over and again.

I am having issue making the bootable CD. I have DL imgburn and tried 3 times, but it will not boot, it goes straight to HDD. I have verified all 3 files are present, but must be missing something.

Does anyone have screen shots of how to set this up to create correctly in imgburn?

using DX 2.3.4 stock (factory reset)
    system vrsion 4.5.621
    build version 4.5.1
    windows XP

Thank you for any info in advance!

1st: Did you change the boot order in your BIOS to make the optical drive the first device?
    2nd: As an alternative you can install this to a USB stick and boot from that, to save burning discs. linuxliveusb.com has a simple little utility to set it up. It's super easy. Still have to change the BIOS boot order though (make sure your USB stick is plugged in when you do)