Android 4.1.1 Jellybean on the Nextbook Premium 8se

Search This thread

Conect11

Nov 2, 2012
ATTENTION / WARNING / ACHTUNG!!!!!!!

Efun (distributor of what we know as the "Nextbook Premium 8SE") in fact sells two different tablets marketed under the same name. This rooting method will ONLY work with a Nextbook Premium 8SE running a Rockchip processor.

**Am very sorry if this has already been posted, searched and did not find anything.**

Soon after purchasing my Nextbook Premium 8 se I learned that many Roms, apks, etc. that I couldn't find via Google (in English, anyhow) are easily found in Italian.

Which brings me to what I found today :)

androidworldDOTit/forum/mediacom-smartpad-810c-381/%5Brom%5D%5Bics-4-1-1%5D%5Bxteam-4-0-jellybean%5D%5Bmediacom-810c%5D-67171/

Run that through Google Translate if like me you don't speak a word of Italian.

All right, time to sit down and write a guide to doing this. First things first: I didn't do any of this work! People like Devmonkey, Sunnyboy167, deeno33, and FinlessBob, (over at Freaktab) and Xteam at Android World Italy are the ones who've put in the legwork and hours to make this stuff possible. I'm just gathering their work in to one place.

Before you begin: Back up all your things if you want to keep them!

Also, remove your micro sd card from the Nextbook. I darn near fried mine because I didn't.

Next: You know the drill. You're a big boy, (or girl, or whatever. I'm not here to judge) I, nor anyone else is responsible if anything bad happens to your device, to you, your happiness, or your hard earned money or your time. YOU are choosing to root your device and install Jellybean on to it and YOU assume all responsibility. Cool? Also, this will probably void your warranty. But let's face it, if you're here, you probably don't care too much about your warranty anyway. Let's get rocking.

STEP 1: Make sure you have the device drivers installed for your Nextbook on your computer.
I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I imagine that other Windows desktops pre Win 8 will be similar. If you're using Linux, I believe that drivers aren't necessary. But hey, if you've installed Ubuntu, Arch Bang, Puppy, etc, you've probably got this figured out anyway.

Turn off your Nextbook Tablet Connect the micro usb cord to it, then hold in the volume up and down keys while plugging it in to your computer.

"NOTE: On your screen you should see a bubble pop up in the lower-right corner saying "Installing drivers". Most likely it will say it can't find the drivers. This is normal. Continue following the steps to install the missing drivers.

Step 2: Open the Device manager by typing mmc devmgmt.msc into your "Run" box on XP or search box in start menu on Windows 7 and hitting enter (you can also find Device Manager in your Control Panel options in Windows 7).

Step 3: With your N8 still in an off state and plugged in via USB you should see a yellow exclamation symbol somewhere next to "Unknown Device" in the list of devices in the Device Manager. Right click on it and select "Update driver software".

Step 4: Now it will prompt you to choose how you want to search for it. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and it will bring up a window for you to navigate manually to the driver location which is in the "drivers" sub-folder in the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder. Select which ever system you have (32bit or 64bit) and then hit "OK". You might go thru one or two prompts before it actually installs. Just "OK" everything and you should be fine." ~Sunnyboy167

Ok, now that the device drivers are installed you'll want to download the file linked from here: zippyshareDOTcom/v/60864398/fileDOThtml

Sorry, I have less than 10 posts, so you'll need to convert the dots to, you know, dots. I get why the site does that.

Scan that thing for any nasties, and then unzip it wherever you'd like. (I used my desktop) Open it and click on the folder "Mediacom 810c" Inside you'll find a file named "Rk29update.exe." Open it. You'll see a box like this:

See attached picture

That is what it will look like if your tablet is not hooked up to your computer. So if it isn't (which it should be, since I never told you to disconnect it) reconnect it now.

Click the box that says "loader," then click "Formatta!!" Which, as you might have guessed is Italian for "Format." No going back now, kid.

Let the thing run its course, it'll take a couple of minutes. Once it's done, click the box that says "Aggiorna!!" This will install Jellybean on to your Nextbook. Be patient, as this will take a few minutes. You'll hear your computer make the "device disconnected" sound, and you'll be all set. You can unplug your Nextbook from your computer now.

First boot up of the device on Jellybean was a touch slow for me, but don't panic. Once you've gotten through set up the Rom runs incredibly smooth and fast. The first screen you'll see will be the welcome (benvenuto) screen. You can select English (or your preferred language) from the drop down menu. From this point on it should be smooth sailing. Google Now works like a charm, Project Butter seems to really make a difference on this tablet, camera works, notifications work, everything seems good. There are minor bugs here and there, but nothing Earth shattering.

One last thing: for a $99 budget "craplet" from Big Lots, you could do a lot worse than this tablet. I've found it pretty sturdy, highly customizable, and generally responsive and fun to use. I also own a Nexus 7, and while this clearly can't touch it spec wise, it's definitely a fun second device to keep around.

Attachments

• rk29.JPG
    rk29.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 3,369
  • italy.JPG
    italy.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 2,668
Last edited:

Conect11

Nov 2, 2012
ok, so far so good. The Rom is very responsive, Google Now is working well. Only thing to note, which I should have known: Take out your micro sd card first! I ended up corrupting mine when I flashed the Rom. (And guess where I had everything backed up too? = fail)

But again, other than that, this Rom is awesome :)

shaunmt

Jan 12, 2011
Request for Bug List

Thanks for posting about this Italian Rom for the Nextbook 8. I am thinking about installing it. Can you provide a list of bugs that you've noticed?

Thanks again!

Shaun

Conect11

Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for posting about this Italian Rom for the Nextbook 8. I am thinking about installing it. Can you provide a list of bugs that you've noticed?

Thanks again!

Shaun

of course!

As mentioned in the install guide, take out any MicroSD card, as you might damage it. That said, however, upon another reading of the original Italian install guide, apparently the "data system corrupted" bug that I took for being my MSD card being screwed up is in fact a known bug that is actually affecting internal memory, but only temporarily. The solution is to simply format it on device, and everything will work fine. The option to format is given as a push notification immediately upon getting through the sign in process, and nothing in actuality appears to be damaged, but until I did the format I could not access anything on my MSD card.

The big recurring one I've noticed may or may not be unique to this Rom, as my device had it before on a gingerbread Rom; namely, the battery charge level never seems to change. It always seems to be at 100% right up until it drops dead, no warning. Actually, that's not entirely accurate, because if it runs out, and I charge it and unplug while the charge shows a number less than 100% the battery icon will continue to show "charging" until 100% (even though unplugged) and then stay there.

When waking the tablet up it takes a couple of seconds to reconnect to wifi. Any notifications coming in will slow it down for up to a couple of minutes. I've noticed that if I try and use it during this time I occasionally "overload" the device, and end up with it rebooting. My best advice: wake it, give it a second to go from "no internet connection" to having found wifi, unlock the screen, and then wait about 1 minute before doing any heavy use until any notifications pop up; once you do that you're good to go.

If I think of or notice anything else hopefully I'll remember to edit this post.

DRS2442

Nov 23, 2012
D'Abadie
2 Problems I found

of course!

As mentioned in the install guide, take out any MicroSD card, as you might damage it. That said, however, upon another reading of the original Italian install guide, apparently the "data system corrupted" bug that I took for being my MSD card being screwed up is in fact a known bug that is actually affecting internal memory, but only temporarily. The solution is to simply format it on device, and everything will work fine. The option to format is given as a push notification immediately upon getting through the sign in process, and nothing in actuality appears to be damaged, but until I did the format I could not access anything on my MSD card.

The big recurring one I've noticed may or may not be unique to this Rom, as my device had it before on a gingerbread Rom; namely, the battery charge level never seems to change. It always seems to be at 100% right up until it drops dead, no warning. Actually, that's not entirely accurate, because if it runs out, and I charge it and unplug while the charge shows a number less than 100% the battery icon will continue to show "charging" until 100% (even though unplugged) and then stay there.

When waking the tablet up it takes a couple of seconds to reconnect to wifi. Any notifications coming in will slow it down for up to a couple of minutes. I've noticed that if I try and use it during this time I occasionally "overload" the device, and end up with it rebooting. My best advice: wake it, give it a second to go from "no internet connection" to having found wifi, unlock the screen, and then wait about 1 minute before doing any heavy use until any notifications pop up; once you do that you're good to go.

If I think of or notice anything else hopefully I'll remember to edit this post.

After I leave it charging, it goes into the sleep of death I guess? I don't know if this is because I had some apps downloading in the background. Also, my auto rotate doesn't work. I don't know if there's a fix for it, but so far, I havent found any :(

but besides those 2 things, the rom works great!

ardy

Jan 20, 2007
I'm having a hell of a time getting drivers for Windows 7 installed. Can someone point me in the direction to the drivers and possibly driver install instructions? .
I have tried with and without USB debugging turned on. In device manager I see M3-chip with USB debugging on. The only thing I can figure is I have the wrong drivers.
I have a Nextbook Premium 8 SE.
TIA

Last edited:

midnite48161

Nov 24, 2012
need new drivers

I'm having a hell of a time getting drivers for Windows 7 installed. Can someone point me in the direction to the drivers and possibly driver install instructions? .
I have tried with and without USB debugging turned on. In device manager I see M3-chip with USB debugging on. The only thing I can figure is I have the wrong drivers.
I have a Nextbook Premium 8 SE.
TIA

Im having the same problem need help here guys i just got mine yesterday it looks like the newer ones has different software in them or are updated.in drivers it only shows m3-chip and will not in stall on window 7 or xp.

arnelpabustan

Jun 22, 2010
Link is broken

ok, so far so good. The Rom is very responsive, Google Now is working well. Only thing to note, which I should have known: Take out your micro sd card first! I ended up corrupting mine when I flashed the Rom. (And guess where I had everything backed up too? = fail)

But again, other than that, this Rom is awesome :)

Hi Connect11 great job and thanks for collecting the information for us, can you please provide a new link because the current link is broken, I want to test on my Nextbook 8SE.

deeno33

Aug 23, 2010
Milwaukee
Hi Connect11 great job and thanks for collecting the information for us, can you please provide a new link because the current link is broken, I want to test on my Nextbook 8SE.

Good job gettin stuff together...i been trying to make it easier for folks to understand all this in the official nextbook 8se root thread. Info is so jumbled and most people dont read through the thread far enough to make sense of what they've just downloaded...lolz. anyways good work and heres a link to another great JB rom for this tab....big props to OMA for his work on this. I been runnin it for a 2 months now and i love it!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1903745 This one can be tricky with the kernel and the system image so please follow directions carefully if you decide to try this rom...i had issues with bricks (my fault of course) but nothing the rk flasher tool cant fix. And of course backup, backup, backup, nuff said:laugh:

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

A bit off topic but im curious as to what recovery other nextbook 8se owners are using?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

patd4567

Dec 25, 2012
Help!

"STEP 1: Make sure you have the device drivers installed for your Nextbook on your computer.[/B] I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I imagine that other Windows desktops pre Win 8 will be similar. If you're using Linux, I believe that drivers aren't necessary. But hey, if you've installed Ubuntu, Arch Bang, Puppy, etc, you've probably got this figured out anyway."

I'm stuck on this step! How do I find and install the drivers for the Nextbook 8? I went to the Device Manager already, I found my "Unknown Device", and I picked "browse my computer for driver software", but every time I pick the file to update it from, it says "windows could not find driver software for your device". Please help me!

Reactions: karmakula

deanfranks21

Mar 23, 2013
cant turn on

hey, i turned my tablet off, and now it wont turn on :crying: I dont know if I'm doing something wrong, but it just wont power on... any help would be great!

deanfranks21

Mar 23, 2013
hey, i turned my tablet off, and now it wont turn on :crying: I dont know if I'm doing something wrong, but it just wont power on... any help would be great!

Same thing happened to me, you'll just have to wait a day or two for the battery to completely die, then hold the power, and as soon as the screen comes on, plug it in, hope this helps! :good:

Jess95

Dec 2, 2011
so far so good, g-sensor wouldnt work with both included kernels so i flashed the kernel from Finless Bob's ICS Rom for NEXT8P12 and it's working again except i cant use the OC settings that kernel from this ROM has.

Only issues:
Wifi is a bit inconsistent
Apps can't download to system memory, there has to be an sd card present
G-Sensor isnt working (have to use kernel from Finless Bob's Next8P12 ROM)
Nothing else yet

is there anyway i could use the g-sensor driver from the other kernel while still using the kernel from this rom, if that makes sense.
Thanx.

Last edited:

swordjamie

Jun 4, 2013
merriville
going great untill

cant find subfoldr NXTBOOK8ROOT in my computer aso the zippyshare file in the link doesnt work pleaase help

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

there shul be a reset button in the back of the device if not you can boot it into recovery mode by holding the power key and voulme down key AT THE SAME TIME then u can wipe everythng and reboot your device:good:

imthatkiid

Apr 28, 2012
Same here

Sent from my Next8P12 using XDA Premium HD app

Same for me as well... and it's really annoying me... I can't root it... so until someone finds a fix... I guess we're going to have to wait, also every time I go the whole driver thing, it says it can't find the drivers too. I don't really care to root it... but... I just wanted to try it.

swordjamie

Jun 4, 2013
merriville

Efun (distributor of what we know as the "Nextbook Premium 8SE") in fact sells two different tablets marketed under the same name. This rooting method will ONLY work with a Nextbook Premium 8SE running a Rockchip processor.

**Am very sorry if this has already been posted, searched and did not find anything.**

Soon after purchasing my Nextbook Premium 8 se I learned that many Roms, apks, etc. that I couldn't find via Google (in English, anyhow) are easily found in Italian.

androidworldDOTit/forum/mediacom-smartpad-810c-381/%5Brom%5D%5Bics-4-1-1%5D%5Bxteam-4-0-jellybean%5D%5Bmediacom-810c%5D-67171/

All right, time to sit down and write a guide to doing this. First things first: I didn't do any of this work! People like Devmonkey, Sunnyboy167, deeno33, and FinlessBob, (over at Freaktab) and Xteam at Android World Italy are the ones who've put in the legwork and hours to make this stuff possible. I'm just gathering their work in to one place.

Also, remove your micro sd card from the Nextbook. I darn near fried mine because I didn't.

Next: You know the drill. You're a big boy, (or girl, or whatever. I'm not here to judge) I, nor anyone else is responsible if anything bad happens to your device, to you, your happiness, or your hard earned money or your time. YOU are choosing to root your device and install Jellybean on to it and YOU assume all responsibility. Cool? Also, this will probably void your warranty. But let's face it, if you're here, you probably don't care too much about your warranty anyway. Let's get rocking.

STEP 1: Make sure you have the device drivers installed for your Nextbook on your computer.
I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I imagine that other Windows desktops pre Win 8 will be similar. If you're using Linux, I believe that drivers aren't necessary. But hey, if you've installed Ubuntu, Arch Bang, Puppy, etc, you've probably got this figured out anyway.

Turn off your Nextbook Tablet Connect the micro usb cord to it, then hold in the volume up and down keys while plugging it in to your computer.

"NOTE: On your screen you should see a bubble pop up in the lower-right corner saying "Installing drivers". Most likely it will say it can't find the drivers. This is normal. Continue following the steps to install the missing drivers.

Step 2: Open the Device manager by typing mmc devmgmt.msc into your "Run" box on XP or search box in start menu on Windows 7 and hitting enter (you can also find Device Manager in your Control Panel options in Windows 7).

Step 3: With your N8 still in an off state and plugged in via USB you should see a yellow exclamation symbol somewhere next to "Unknown Device" in the list of devices in the Device Manager. Right click on it and select "Update driver software".

Step 4: Now it will prompt you to choose how you want to search for it. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and it will bring up a window for you to navigate manually to the driver location which is in the "drivers" sub-folder in the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder. Select which ever system you have (32bit or 64bit) and then hit "OK". You might go thru one or two prompts before it actually installs. Just "OK" everything and you should be fine." ~Sunnyboy167

Ok, now that the device drivers are installed you'll want to download the file linked from here: zippyshareDOTcom/v/60864398/fileDOThtml

Sorry, I have less than 10 posts, so you'll need to convert the dots to, you know, dots. I get why the site does that.

Scan that thing for any nasties, and then unzip it wherever you'd like. (I used my desktop) Open it and click on the folder "Mediacom 810c" Inside you'll find a file named "Rk29update.exe." Open it. You'll see a box like this:

See attached picture

That is what it will look like if your tablet is not hooked up to your computer. So if it isn't (which it should be, since I never told you to disconnect it) reconnect it now.

Click the box that says "loader," then click "Formatta!!" Which, as you might have guessed is Italian for "Format." No going back now, kid.

Let the thing run its course, it'll take a couple of minutes. Once it's done, click the box that says "Aggiorna!!" This will install Jellybean on to your Nextbook. Be patient, as this will take a few minutes. You'll hear your computer make the "device disconnected" sound, and you'll be all set. You can unplug your Nextbook from your computer now.

First boot up of the device on Jellybean was a touch slow for me, but don't panic. Once you've gotten through set up the Rom runs incredibly smooth and fast. The first screen you'll see will be the welcome (benvenuto) screen. You can select English (or your preferred language) from the drop down menu. From this point on it should be smooth sailing. Google Now works like a charm, Project Butter seems to really make a difference on this tablet, camera works, notifications work, everything seems good. There are minor bugs here and there, but nothing Earth shattering.

One last thing: for a $99 budget "craplet" from Big Lots, you could do a lot worse than this tablet. I've found it pretty sturdy, highly customizable, and generally responsive and fun to use. I also own a Nexus 7, and while this clearly can't touch it spec wise, it's definitely a fun second device to keep around.

can you post a different link it says file dows not exist on this server

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Same for me as well... and it's really annoying me... I can't root it... so until someone finds a fix... I guess we're going to have to wait, also every time I go the whole driver thing, it says it can't find the drivers too. I don't really care to root it... but... I just wanted to try it.

I foiund a way around it you click start go into ur control panel and click system then to the side it should say device manger at the very top click it find where it says m3-chip left click on it chose update driver software click browse my computer click let me chose from a list of my drivers click show all devices click next click have disc then browse then chose the rk29 driver/win/64/rockusb click ok there u go

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I got my device to be an rk29 device but its not coming up on the screen when the device is connected please help me :(:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

See attached picture

Help!

"STEP 1: Make sure you have the device drivers installed for your Nextbook on your computer.[/B] I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I imagine that other Windows desktops pre Win 8 will be similar. If you're using Linux, I believe that drivers aren't necessary. But hey, if you've installed Ubuntu, Arch Bang, Puppy, etc, you've probably got this figured out anyway."

I'm stuck on this step! How do I find and install the drivers for the Nextbook 8? I went to the Device Manager already, I found my "Unknown Device", and I picked "browse my computer for driver software", but every time I pick the file to update it from, it says "windows could not find driver software for your device". Please help me!