A few questions about rooting this device

Search This thread

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
I have been researching the different rooting methods lately since this might be the longest I've ever gone without root a device. I plan on keeping the stock rom since I use wifi calling on several occasions. What I really want is to customize the device using Xposed and wanam. So, on to questions.

1) Which root method do you recommend? I have looked into CF Auto Root and Root de la Vega. I don't particularly care about my Knox warranty or the ability to use Knox since it is basically bloatware to me. Does Root de la Vega wipe the entire device or not (I have read conflicting reports about this.)

2) I had intended to use root to access the old standby wifi tether however that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. (Unless anybody has a fix for it)

3) What all can be done with the Xposed framework and Wanam? I always used custom roms on my old T-Mobile GS2 and never got into any of this.

4) I do have several Square-Enix games installed and I have read that Xposed breaks them. Is the only workaround still to disable all of Xposed to play your game? Also, after disabling Xposed will I have to reset all the customizations I had made every time? Seems like that would be a lot of hassle.

5) Anything else I might be overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Just looking for a little help in deciding on whether or not to root this device since I have no intention (at this time) of flashing any roms and it wont allow me to tether.

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
I just realized that I posted this in general instead of Questions, could a moderator please move it?

Dattack

Dec 14, 2010
I used root de la vega without knox tripping. Seems like if you don't care about knox being tripped than use kingo. But kingo usually don't trip knox either.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I used CF-Autoroot. The fastest and easiest way. Took me 12 seconds to root. If you're going to put TWRP/CWM on your phone then just use CF-Autoroot. Nothing was wiped on my phone.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
if you root your phone this way, and want to "jump" to an different phone down the road, does T-mo care if knox is tripped, or your phone is rooted when you bring it in to get a different one?
moving from Sprint to T-mo this week, and I dont know what the "rules" are with T-m0..

thanks

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
I guess I will use CF Auto Root. I spent the better part of 3 hours or so trying to use universal RDLV and couldn't get it to build my custom firmware.