[Q](cm11) phone app freezes, screen becomes unresponsive

Search This thread

R3druMz

Jun 23, 2013
Hi all,

Im at a loss here, I dont know how to move forward with this problem so im asking for help lol XD.

I just gave my nexus 4 to my gf ( just got my opo last week). The phone was running cyanogen mod 11 ( some nightly version between m6 and m7).
So when my phone came in the mail, I dropped her sim in my nexus 4 (witch was working perfectly) and after making a phone call with it, she tells me she thinks the phone app is broken or something...

So I have a look at it and this is what its doing now. When I call someone, as soon as you click call the screen goes black. To bring back the screen you need to click twice on the sleep/wake button on the side ( kinda like if you were closing the phone and re-opening it) just for the screen to show again but none of the buttons work. Well none of the phone app buttons work, I can still click back/home/previous app buttons or slide down the top menu just fine. just cant click any of the number keys, hang up, hit speaker phone or anything related to the phone app. So in order to hang up I have to click home and then use the drop down menu and click hang up under the phone notification.

Before droping her sim card in the phone I did a standard wipe/factory reset on the phone just to give her a clean platform. So since that was already done I've tried updating to a stable ( M9 in this case) release, problem is still there, so I tried to wipe dalvik, cache and done a data wipe/factory reset from the CWM recovery and flashed a fresh cm 11 M9 with gapps and I still have the problem.

Im at a loss at where to begin looking for a fix for this situation, I've looked on the xda and cm forums and ran plenty of google searches for this problem but im coming up empty ...

any help would be greatly appreciated,

regards

Chris

Edit: omg screen protector was interfering with the proximity sensor... Is this a common problem with nexus 4 or could this provblem still be related to my hardware/software ?
(I've never used a screen protector before).

Last edited:

abaaaabbbb63

Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Edit: omg screen protector was interfering with the proximity sensor... Is this a common problem with nexus 4 or could this provblem still be related to my hardware/software ?

If the screen protector isn't applied carefully, it might interfere easily with the sensors. If you want to check, then download a sensor tester from the play store, and use it to see if the sensor is working without any protector over it.

Reactions: R3druMz

R3druMz

Jun 23, 2013
If the screen protector isn't applied carefully, it might interfere easily with the sensors. If you want to check, then download a sensor tester from the play store, and use it to see if the sensor is working without any protector over it.

haha thanks for your reply, I've been trying to solve this issue for a week, been looking on the cm nightly and stable forums and here on xda trough all the posts that sounded closely related to my problem and didn't find anything... as soon as I post a questions 3 minutes later I found the problem.

To test it, I simply peeled the screen protector off and held it there while I made a call and it worked perfectly !! Then I cut out the part that goes over the prox sensor and its perfect again ( looks like crap but works ). Still gonna download that sensor tester ( curiosity XD).

P.S: totally unrelated to this post, I've been reading some of your "how to" posts here on xda, just wanted to say thanks for all the info you have put out there XD.

Reactions: abaaaabbbb63

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
This happened with my co-worker's Nexus 4 (which is now my Nexus 4). She had been complaining about this for like a month, until I actually saw her screen, and that the corner of her screen protector had flapped loose and had a bunch of crud built up underneath it. It was a forehead smacker for me when I realized how obvious the cause/solution was. Not so obvious when I took possession and replaced the screen and had the same problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

haha thanks for your reply, I've been trying to solve this issue for a week, been looking on the cm nightly and stable forums and here on xda trough all the posts that sounded closely related to my problem and didn't find anything... as soon as I post a questions 3 minutes later I found the problem.

To test it, I simply peeled the screen protector off and held it there while I made a call and it worked perfectly !! Then I cut out the part that goes over the prox sensor and its perfect again ( looks like crap but works ). Still gonna download that sensor tester ( curiosity XD).

P.S: totally unrelated to this post, I've been reading some of your "how to" posts here on xda, just wanted to say thanks for all the info you have put out there XD.