not booting up after flashing custom rom

Search This thread

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
Hi, I've managed to use Odin to install the bell with root image, phone now working with I747MVLUEMK5..downloaded clockworkmod recovery manager and used the att recovery image. Downloaded custom Roms, factory reset the phone, wiped cache and dalvik then installed the custom ROM. It installed properly but when I reboot, it won't turn on, I have to do the download mode to recover it back using the Odin. Tried different custom ROM and I made sure they are for this image MVLUEMK5... But same result, it won't boot up... Help...did I miss a step?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Copy a ROM to your SD card, install a custom recovery (I prefer CWM), boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, data, and system, install the custom ROM, reboot the phone.

Every 4.4.2 ROM I have tried (Valudus, Cyanfox, CM11) will boot with a stock 4.1.2 bootloader or newer so you should be fine.

Do you have any warranty left on your phone? Does your phone have Knox installed?

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
Copy a ROM to your SD card, install a custom recovery (I prefer CWM), boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, data, and system, install the custom ROM, reboot the phone.

Every 4.4.2 ROM I have tried (Valudus, Cyanfox, CM11) will boot with a stock 4.1.2 bootloader or newer so you should be fine.

Do you have any warranty left on your phone? Does your phone have Knox installed?
Here’s the Steps I went through:

I have a Bell S3 with 4.3 JB from OTA

1.******Downloaded Odin to my PC

2.******Downloaded the image from* 66 CF Root….

3.******Loaded it to my phone (Using Odin)

4.******Made sure the phone is rooted after and it is

5.******Downloaded CWM Manager from Playstore

6.******Changed the Recovery image using the Manager to Samsung Galaxy S3 for AT&T (d2att)

7.******Downloaded Omni Rom then moved it to the SD card using My File app

8.******Rebooted to Recovery

9.******Backed up my phone

10.***Did a Factory reset

11.***Did a Wipe Cache

12.***Did a Wipe Davlik

13.***Flashed the Rom with no error

14.***Rebooted to System

15.***Samsung Logo showed up for a sec then the phone is dead

16.***Tried to turn it on by pressing the power button but not working, I thought the battery was drained when I rebooted, I plugged it in for half an hour but still not turning on. Was able to press the power_

17.***Vol down and home and it booted to Download mode

18.***Used Odin to load the image frok step 2 above and tried the same steps using different rom (Beanstalk-4.4) and the result is the same

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Too much work for me. There is no need to have root before installing a custom ROM.

Do this:

Use Odin to install Philz Touch Recovery from here (use the tar version in PDA, do not check auto reboot): http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2att

Once it flashes and you see Reset in the windows, pull the battery, disconnect the phone from computer, boot into recovery, wipe cache, dalvik, system, data, flash rom, reboot.

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
Thanks for the help...I'll try this tonight...when you say pull the battery, you mean literally take the battery out of the phone? Would it boot to recovery when I put the battery back? or will it normally boot then I would reboot to recovery.

Thanks!

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the help...I'll try this tonight...when you say pull the battery, you mean literally take the battery out of the phone? Would it boot to recovery when I put the battery back? or will it normally boot then I would reboot to recovery.

Thanks!

Yes, remove the battery. Disconnect the USB cable, replace the battery, press volume +, home, and power to get into recovery. Wipe cache, Dalvik, system, data, and flash your custom ROM.

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
Yes, remove the battery. Disconnect the USB cable, replace the battery, press volume +, home, and power to get into recovery. Wipe cache, Dalvik, system, data, and flash your custom ROM.

Okay, installed Philz recovery using Odin, pulled bttery, unplug usb then boot to recovery...Philz recovery booted, was able to set to factory, wipe cache,dalvik and flash beanstalk rom,...rebooted the system and still shows samsung logo for a sec and phone turned off....I was still able to go back to phils recovery and tried a different rom and it did the same...just not booting up after flashing...

One thing I noticed is when flashing the rom it doesnt take long (less than 2 minutes) then it completed withoiut error....could it be the zip file or the SD card where i copied them?

Last edited:

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
Okay, installed Philz recovery using Odin, pulled bttery, unplug usb then boot to recovery...Philz recovery booted, was able to set to factory, wipe cache,dalvik and flash beanstalk rom,...rebooted the system and still shows samsung logo for a sec and phone turned off....I was still able to go back to phils recovery and tried a different rom and it did the same...just not booting up after flashing...

One thing I noticed is when flashing the rom it doesnt take long (less than 2 minutes) then it completed withoiut error....could it be the zip file or the SD card where i copied them?

Most of the 4.3 roms take a long time at the first boot once you flash it (when I flashed S3Rx it took 3 minutes 32 seconds, I timed it because most people say I waited a long time but have no recollection of how much time) it will stay at one of the boot image screens for several minutes then it should vibrate once the blue led should illuminate and then it will finish booting.

If the wait is too much for you turn it on, set it down, walk away, find something to do, 10 minutes later come back, if it hasn't booted now make sure you followed all the instructions correctly and flashed the right stuff for the phone model you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

To make sure we are on the same page, is it just stuck at a boot screen or is it getting to a screen turning off and going back to the same screen repeatedly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

Try a different ROM. I use validus and it installed without a problem.

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
I quickly checked the difference between validus/candy Kat vs omni/beanstalk...I looked at the updater-script and found that both validus and candykat doesn't have "assert((getprop...." lines in the beginning of the script, they start at mount ("ext4","EMMC.... line...I wonder if I take the assert lines on the Omni and Beanstalk updater-script if it is going to work..

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I quickly checked the difference between validus/candy Kat vs omni/beanstalk...I looked at the updater-script and found that both validus and candykat doesn't have "assert((getprop...." lines in the beginning of the script, they start at mount ("ext4","EMMC.... line...I wonder if I take the assert lines on the Omni and Beanstalk updater-script if it is going to work..

You can remove the asserts and try, but the phone still may not boot. Any particular reason you want Omni or Beanstalk? I personally prefer Validus.

snyph3r

Jun 23, 2011
Calgary
You can remove the asserts and try, but the phone still may not boot. Any particular reason you want Omni or Beanstalk? I personally prefer Validus.

didn't work without the assert either....just wanted to try different Roms...I'm on Validuz now but having a couple of issues...WiFi is not turning on, have to reboot to turn it on and reboot doesn't work either. It won't turn on unless I pulled the battery which is a pain....

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
didn't work without the assert either....just wanted to try different Roms...I'm on Validuz now but having a couple of issues...WiFi is not turning on, have to reboot to turn it on and reboot doesn't work either. It won't turn on unless I pulled the battery which is a pain....

That is strange. I run validus on mine and WiFi is fine. Calls and data ate fine as well.

sewermike

Oct 18, 2013
Here’s the Steps I went through:

I have a Bell S3 with 4.3 JB from OTA

1.******Downloaded Odin to my PC

2.******Downloaded the image from* 66 CF Root….

3.******Loaded it to my phone (Using Odin)

4.******Made sure the phone is rooted after and it is

5.******Downloaded CWM Manager from Playstore

6.******Changed the Recovery image using the Manager to Samsung Galaxy S3 for AT&T (d2att)

7.******Downloaded Omni Rom then moved it to the SD card using My File app

8.******Rebooted to Recovery

9.******Backed up my phone

10.***Did a Factory reset

11.***Did a Wipe Cache

12.***Did a Wipe Davlik

13.***Flashed the Rom with no error

14.***Rebooted to System

15.***Samsung Logo showed up for a sec then the phone is dead

16.***Tried to turn it on by pressing the power button but not working, I thought the battery was drained when I rebooted, I plugged it in for half an hour but still not turning on. Was able to press the power_

17.***Vol down and home and it booted to Download mode

18.***Used Odin to load the image frok step 2 above and tried the same steps using different rom (Beanstalk-4.4) and the result is the same

Just curious... are you going into mounts and storage to format system along with the factory reset and dalvik / cache wipes ??