using fingerprint scanner? Don't buy this

Search This thread

nubsgohard

May 6, 2014
If you are interested in the finger print scanner for the galaxy s5, but at the same time you are also interested in protecting your $650 investment, you may run into problems.

3rd party cases such as otterbox or body glove impede the motion of whatever finger you use to unlock your device. The reason being that all of the cases have a ridge the causes your finger to move up premature to the scanner recognizing your finger print. Although it will work in some cases, it is not nearly as efficient as if you were using no case at all. I have already contacted a samsung representative as well as otterbox to see what is going to be done about this seemingly noticeable flaw.

So bottom line, if you are going to buy a 3rd party full protection case for your galaxy s5, take note that the finger print scanner will produce unsatisfactory results.Let me know if you guys have found a case that takes into consideration the fingerprint scanner, or what ways you have remedied this problem.

Please thank if this post helped you, or informed you.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
If you are interested in the finger print scanner for the galaxy s5, but at the same time you are also interested in protecting your $650 investment, you may run into problems.

3rd party cases such as otterbox or body glove impede the motion of whatever finger you use to unlock your device. The reason being that all of the cases have a ridge the causes your finger to move up premature to the scanner recognizing your finger print. Although it will work in some cases, it is not nearly as efficient as if you were using no case at all. I have already contacted a samsung representative as well as otterbox to see what is going to be done about this seemingly noticeable flaw.

So bottom line, if you are going to buy a 3rd party full protection case for your galaxy s5, take note that the finger print scanner will produce unsatisfactory results.Let me know if you guys have found a case that takes into consideration the fingerprint scanner, or what ways you have remedied this problem.

Probably most cases that aren't military grade, should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: imilleson

suckerjones

Sep 14, 2012
Not sure if this is too off topic, but the fingerprint scanner in general seems to be more a gimmick and not terribly refined. The setup always goes super smooth, then it's almost like I grow prosthetic fingertips and I can no longer get into my phone using what's recorded. I've defaulted to a pattern just cause I can do that easier/faster.

nubsgohard

May 6, 2014
Not sure if this is too off topic, but the fingerprint scanner in general seems to be more a gimmick and not terribly refined. The setup always goes super smooth, then it's almost like I grow prosthetic fingertips and I can no longer get into my phone using what's recorded. I've defaulted to a pattern just cause I can do that easier/faster.

That is a valid point. I do not think that Samsung should have put a fingerprint scanner just yet, they should have made improvements and implemented it in a later device. I believe they did rushed to put it in just because they did not want to let apple beat them in a category... But since they did, we have to make use the best we can with it. I try to use it, but it just becomes annoying when you find yourself swiping 3 or 4 times just to unlock your phone. I will probably resort to a pattern unlock as well.

Reactions: tenxo

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
I do not think that Samsung should have put a fingerprint scanner just yet, they should have made improvements and implemented it in a later device.

This doesn't make sense! That's like saying they shouldn't have made a galaxy and just went straight to galaxy s2. I agree it should have been refined and thought out better but even if they had skipped it on the s5 and put it on note 4, or s6 and it still is designed like it is now, people would complain. I rather have it now working like it does than not have the feature at all. Think about it! It works, just not so well one-handed, but Samsung does not state it to be a one-handed feature. It works nearly 100% when I use it as the animation and Samsung designed it to.

I wish they had made it an actual touch and hold though,not swipe. (Apple lawsuit)

Ideas:
They could have made the home button take up the whole space from screen to bottom of phone and still kept it rectangular, and made it more flush without increasing the bezel size, for hold to scan.

Put it in the back or recent button instead, just as they are now, just long press to scan.

Samsung owes me for this one here!!! A solar panel back with finger print scanner/heart rate monitor all in one. Charge by light in day, plug in at night! :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
This doesn't make sense! That's like saying they shouldn't have made a galaxy and just went straight to galaxy s2. I agree it should have been refined and thought out better but even if they had skipped it on the s5 and put it on note 4, or s6 and it still is designed like it is now, people would complain. I rather have it now working like it does than not have the feature at all. Think about it! It works, just not so well one-handed, but Samsung does not state it to be a one-handed feature. It works nearly 100% when I use it as the animation and Samsung designed it to.

I wish they had made it an actual touch and hold though,not swipe. (Apple lawsuit)

Ideas:
They could have made the home button take up the whole space from screen to bottom of phone and still kept it rectangular, and made it more flush without increasing the bezel size, for hold to scan.

Put it in the back or recent button instead, just as they are now, just long press to scan.

Samsung owes me for this one here!!! A solar panel back with finger print scanner/heart rate monitor all in one. Charge by light in day, plug in at night! :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How are you comparing a feature not being included to a whole phone not being released? Terrible analogy. It does make sense. Seems to me Samsung wanted to be the "me too" in the scanner realm, just like with the S Voice. Both inferior to Apple. They should have waited, if it's this broken and yes it is broken. Works about half the time.

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
How are you comparing a feature not being included to a whole phone not being released? Terrible analogy.
If you look, you will see that I had thanked his post as I agreed with some of his feelings, as was written in my post. I quoted what I didn't agree with, and explained my thoughts on it.

I didn't know this was a paper in ENG/LIT class; You are the teacher? Shall I point out the issues with your punctuations, sentence structure, etc...? Their is no written law of what one can use as an "analogy". The point I was trying to make was obviously received by you. Analogy Def. = "a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification".

It does make sense. Seems to me Samsung wanted to be the "me too" in the scanner realm, just like with the S Voice. Both inferior to Apple. They should have waited, if it's this broken and yes it is broken. Works about half the time.
Again this is a very subjective comment. If it works "half the time" for you how/when is it "broken". So if you cant get it to work consistently others should not have the use of the feature at all? To be fair; I tried using it for unlocking the device one-handed and I gave up on it like the OP did because I was more consistent and faster using the pin to unlock. This doesn't mean its "broken" or should have been abandoned. Should we not use the heart rate monitor because it requires you to be still in order to work? They added waterproofing is it perfect? My sole point is that I commend Samsung and ALL manufactures for adding any, and all that they can, as long as it can be turned off and is not forced upon us to use. This is how progress happens.

Thanks for your response.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Probably most cases that aren't military grade, should be fine.

That is a valid point. I do not think that Samsung should have put a fingerprint scanner just yet, they should have made improvements and implemented it in a later device. I believe they did rushed to put it in just because they did not want to let apple beat them in a category... But since they did, we have to make use the best we can with it. I try to use it, but it just becomes annoying when you find yourself swiping 3 or 4 times just to unlock your phone. I will probably resort to a pattern unlock as well.