CM7DX2 WIFI and Dialer fix/mod (enable cron scheduler)!

Search This thread

Ryno77

Feb 13, 2012
Okay, I attempted to install everything. I am confident everything is installed but I have no idea how to use any of it. I tried the cmd line in the dummy guide but no luck. I feel like an idiot :)

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

I figured it out. My path was different than what was listed in your post because when I installed I did things a little differently. If I knew how to copy and paste from the cmd prompt I would paste where I am at. It says at the bottom off blah blah blah blah....daemon started successfully. I think this is where I need to be? Sorry for the super noob post here.

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Okay, I attempted to install everything. I am confident everything is installed but I have no idea how to use any of it. I tried the cmd line in the dummy guide but no luck. I feel like an idiot :)

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

I figured it out. My path was different than what was listed in your post because when I installed I did things a little differently. If I knew how to copy and paste from the cmd prompt I would paste where I am at. It says at the bottom off blah blah blah blah....daemon started successfully. I think this is where I need to be? Sorry for the super noob post here.

Okay, come to http://webchat.freenode.net and join the #cm7dx2 channel. I'm logged in there. It will be much faster and easier than here via posts. Once we have you working, come back in here and post your results for everyone else, please. Thank you.

Ciao!

johnaferraro

Oct 3, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I flashed the zip, and wifi still is turning off when phone goes into standby. Also the dialer is still lagging. The first day, after flashing the zip, it didn't lag at all. Day 2, 3 and 4, its still taking up to 30 sseconds to dial.

Sent from an EpicBlue CM7X2

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
I flashed the zip, and wifi still is turning off when phone goes into standby. Also the dialer is still lagging. The first day, after flashing the zip, it didn't lag at all. Day 2, 3 and 4, its still taking up to 30 sseconds to dial.

Sent from an EpicBlue CM7X2

Yeah, I dunno why it's doing that... I have found that I have to reboot once a day... I usually do that in the morning since I usually nandroid while I do my morning stuff. I'm not sure what caused it to fail after a day or so, but I am looking into it.

Cisco!

Sent from my Motorola Droid X2 running CM7 from dragonzkiller. What's with the locked bootloader Moto????

kennyb6

Jan 21, 2012
Mine still says rc0 in the mod version under about phone but its got all the new features? ???????

Droid X2 CM7

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
It needs update. U are back to rc0.

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

This mod doesn't mess with build.prop. Someone probably flashed my older MultiTouch mod. That one has been updated as it messes with the build.prop. Or, BallTongue's Mashup or the Speedy Script that is out there. Anything that replaces the build.prop file will need updating. Anything that just modifies the build.prop is just fine.

Ciao!

Reactions: king..kranium

king..kranium

Jan 30, 2012
Mamou
This mod doesn't mess with build.prop. Someone probably flashed my older MultiTouch mod. That one has been updated as it messes with the build.prop. Or, BallTongue's Mashup or the Speedy Script that is out there. Anything that replaces the build.prop file will need updating. Anything that just modifies the build.prop is just fine.

Ciao!

Thanks for the clarification. "The more you know"

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

phieta

Oct 7, 2011
Hampton Roads, VA
I flashed this yesterday and my dialer problem was fixed, but I wake up this morning to no 3g service.

Has anyone else lost complete service to 3g as a result of this zip file?

I'm on RC1.

Last edited:

wareju

Nov 19, 2011
KY
Just flashed and when I make a call I completely lose service and data, the icons just go away and return as soon as I end the call. I was running speedy and cm7 mashup when I flashed, didn't see anything saying not to but I may have missed it. Any suggestions? Everything else works ie wifi, messaging, receiving calls.

Sent from my MB870 using XDA

Last edited:

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Just flashed and when I make a call I completely lose service and data, the icons just go away and return as soon as I end the call. I was running speedy and cm7 mashup when I flashed, didn't see anything saying not to but I may have missed it. Any suggestions? Everything else works ie wifi, messaging, receiving calls.

Sent from my MB870 using XDA

There is nothing in this mod that would affect the icons. I would restore the nandroid backup you made before flashing this mod. For CM7Dx2-RC1, it is not necessary. I have left it up here primarily for reference.

Ciao!

wareju

Nov 19, 2011
KY
The status bar icons are what I was referring to, they drop as if the radio were turning off or something. Restored back and all is well, not sure what happened there.

edit: not too savvy with android terms, sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

edit edit: alright so the theme on cm7 was throwing me off, the only thing it was doing weird was not dialing out permanently, even after restarts.

Last edited:

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
The status bar icons are what I was referring to, they drop as if the radio were turning off or something. Restored back and all is well, not sure what happened there.

edit: not too savvy with android terms, sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

edit edit: alright so the theme on cm7 was throwing me off, the only thing it was doing weird was not dialing out permanently, even after restarts.

Hrm... Sorry about the late reply... I'm not sure I can help if your phone is not dialing out permanently... I think you might have a bad phone. I would recommend SBFing back to 2.3.4 and running stock and seeing if it does it then. If so, you definitely have a hardware issue. If not, try the following:

1. Boot into the stock recovery and clear data (factory reset).
* This is done by holding the volume down button and powering on, then pressing volume down until "Android Recovery" comes up. Then press volume up. At the yellow triangle, press both volume buttons at the same time.
2. Just for safe measure, I would SBF 2.3.4 again, and clear data again.
3. Activate (if needed).
4. Root with zergRUSH. (See my rooting tutorial.)
5. Install the ORIGINAL BSR. (See my nandroid backup tutorial.)
6. Make sure you have cm7dx2-rc1, gapps, and the cm7 BSR on your sdcard and boot into the BSR and install CM7DX2-RC1, then gapps, then WIPE data, cache and dalvik-cache.
7. Boot into CM7DX2-RC1.
8. Activate/setup your Google account.
9. Install the CM7 BSR.

Hopefully that will fix your problem... Most of the time, the problem is a bad flash. Following these steps usually fixes the issue.

Ciao!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM7DX2 WIFI and Dialer fix/mod!

If you are having problems with WIFI staying connected... Read this! :eek:

If you are having problems with the Dialer dialing out 30-120 (or more) seconds after hitting the call button... Read this! :eek:

DISCLAIMER: This have ONLY been tested to work on CM7DX2! Also, as with any of my mods or fixes, you are doing this at your own risk. I cannot and will not be held liable or responsible for what YOU choose to do to your phone.

The reason I chose to implement the cron instead of just running scripts or something like that was because I didn't want anyone to have to download one or more apps to do this, and I also wanted to keep the overhead as low as possible.

Now, on to the good stuff! :D
    If you are impatient, download the flashable zip and flash it in BSR. No need to wipe data, cache, or dalvik-cache, although wiping cache and dalvik-cache can't/won't hurt.

In addition to flashing this, you also, MUST enable WIFI Never Sleep! Goto Menu -> Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wi-Fi Settings -> Menu -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi- Sleep Policy, then tape Never and hit the back button 4 times!

Background:
    After test driving CM7DX2 for DragonZKiller, I had turned it into my daily driver. Everyone who has tried it knows that it is a very stable ROM and works very well. Anyhow, after having it as my daily driver for about 2 weeks, I noticed, on some occasions, it would take 30-120 (or more) seconds to actually dial the call AFTER I hit the Call button, or worse, it would FC on me. Over time, this became very frustrating to me because I could reboot my phone and my outgoing calls would be sent practically the moment I tapped the Call button. This was frustrating to no end because I couldn't nail down what or why it was doing it.

I then started keeping a log of my use of my phone and my observations (yes, true engineer here). I noticed after about 60 minutes of idle time, me not futzing with my phone, the dialer lag (or FC) would appear. That got me to thinking that something was killing the dialer, so I started looking at the CyanogenMod settings as I remembered there was a setting to "Purge Assests" or something like that... Because I set the setting weeks earlier when I was playing with the phone...

I found the setting in Menu -> Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Performance Settings -> Allow Purging of Assets. I removed the check mark next to it and, to be safe, rebooted the phone.

Again, I went back to logging my usage on my phone... Again, after about 60 minutes of idle time, the dialer lag (or FC) would be back.

This has me very frustrated now, because, silly me, I would like my phone to act like a phone when I need it to be a phone... And, not just a development tool, or a device to play Angry Birds, or... You get the idea.

I started poking around to see what was happening to the dialer, when I remembered that ZepplinRox had a thread somewhere pertaining to renicing an app... [FIX] Bulletproof Background Apps! Hot damn! I think this is what I need to look at! Now to find the dialer...

This is easier said then done. I thought I would be a smart ass and just type:
    Code:
    ps | grep dialer
    Well, that didn't work. Okay, then I tried:
    Code:
    ps | grep Dialer
    and various permutations of dialer. Still can't find any process called dialer! Damn it! WTF? I then remembered taking with DZK during the development of the CM7DX2 ROM and he was saying something about the phone/dialer not working... Wait.... Phone?!?!?! Okay, so back to ps..

Code:
    ps | grep phone
    radio     2179  2037  147608 25472 ffffffff afd0c7cc S com.android.phone
    BINGO! :D Pay dirt! Well, almost. :eek: So, I found the "dailer" process... com.android.phone. Great! Now what? Then I remembered DZK saying something about rild... And there was a problem there that was linked to the radio/phone/dialer. Wait, radio?!?!?! Rild?!?!?!?! WTF now? Now I have to look at renicing two things? Great... *sigh*

So, I started looking at ZepplinRox's scripts to renice the dialer, phone, rild, radio... What ever! I was trying to figure out a consistent way to run the renice command at a specific interval... Wait, ZepplinRox is using init.d to run his scripts and it has a sleep command in the script so it sleeps for that long then restarts the command. That is good, but what keeps the android scheduler from killing the script... Android Scheduler?!?!?! Wait... Hold on a sec! I think that is where the problem lies! So, off to do more research!

So within adb, I started running htop to watch the nice level on the com.android.phone process, and in another adb session, I reniced the process com.android.phone. After about 35-40 minutes, I noticed the nice level on the com.android.phone process was being elevated. Then at about 60 minutes, when I tried to use the dialer, it lagged. Ah ha! Now, how do I renice the dialer so that is sticks and works.

I understand cron in Linux, and thought about enabling the cron on Android. I found this blog by imoseyon: cron on android is awesome which pointed me in the right direction.

The Solution:
    After much work, I finally was able to have cron running on my DX2!

I created a flashable zip that would install the cron files and enable it on boot. I then created a folder in /data called scripts and put my cron called script (com_android_phone.sh) in there. I set up the cron job to run every 30 minutes. this script doesn't actually renice the process, it renices ALL processes owned by the user radio, which is both com.android.phone and /system/bin/rild. That way, they both stay at a low enough nice level to stay active.

I also enabled logging on the crond and logging for the script which logs to /data/scripts/log/com_android_phone.log. Then, I thought that the script's log file (which logs the renice every 30 minutes) would, over time, fill up all available space in /data. I then created a second cron job that would delete this log file every Sunday morning at 5:00AM.

Myself, litetaker, lesismore, and a couple of others have been testing this and the WIFI cron job and it seems to be working.

WIFI cron job:
    So, then I wondered if the Android Scheduler could possibly be affecting WIFI in sleep mode as well. I found there is a user WIFI that owns the wifi process /system/bin/wpa_supplicant, and the wpa_supplicant process is present with both open and secured access points, and is only running when WIFI is connected.

So, I created a cron job to renice all processes owned by wifi and have that one running every 15 minutes because I noticed that the disconnects seem to happen after 15-30 minutes of idle time. (In my original thread, I stated that I was not having WIFI connection issues... This is not entirely true, I use tasker to activate/deactivate several wifi situational profiles, so I wasn't seeing it.) This script also writes a log to /data/scripts/log/wpa_supplicant_renice.log every time it runs so I have that script being deleted every Sunday morning at 5:00AM as well.

I sincerely hope this mod helps everyone that has WIFI issues on CM7DX2. This mod MIGHT work on other DX2 ROMs, but I specifically did not test other ROMs as the problem was primarily in CM7DX2.

If you know what you are doing, feel free to open up the zip and port to cron to other ROMs. Also, make sure you set the correct permissions on and scripts you create and on the root "crontab" are all correct, to avoid issues with the scripts not running.

DOWNLOAD:
    cron_scheduler_signed.zip

If you have issues, please note them in this thread, or better yet, come to IRC at http://webchat.freenode.net and join channel #cm7dx2. I'm usually in there. Enjoy!

Ciao!
    Reserved for future use.

Sorry all. I had to take down my website when I was laid off from my job. I have uploaded the file to my Dropbox and updated the OP. The file is located here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r92ivzl7i9yr3qq/cron_scheduler_signed.zip?dl=0

If there are other files that someone needs, please PM me, reference the thread they were on, and I will get them uploaded and updated. Please note that it might take me some time to do this. Thank you.
    Found a mirror http://www.4shared.com/postDownload/-7HcpKan/cron_scheduler_signed.html
    Filename: cron_scheduler_signed.zip
    Size: 131.33 KB (134482 bytes)
    MD5 Sum: 8451e828641eb5da335af12ed3c26861
    Uploaded DevHost -- XDA
    Good to see someone made a fix for this. I dont have wifi problems since I use llama location profiles which keeps my wifi on based on my home location. But I may be flashing this to my girlfriends DX2 sometime soon because she's always complaining about this. I will report back on how hers does when I do and let her use it for a while.