HTC Fuze Case / Cover

Search This thread

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
------------------
12/23/08 Update - this case DOES work, but with some easy modification. Read the thread to see the sanding I did on the inside. Took about 3 minutes and case has been working perfectly since.

UPDATE - 12/20/08 -I just got home from the gym and this case does cause some problems. After having it on for a few days the screen stopped working when the cover was on. From my investigating it seems to put to much pressure on the upper left corner of the case/screen, causing the screen to stop responding to touch commands. I have taken the case off and there are no issues at all with the phone, so clearly the case is the problem. I am not sure why it worked perfectly for a few days and then started having issues, but it did. Going to try to sand down the inside a little (pictures posted in this thread)
-----------------

I found this one recommended in one of the many threads on this site about cases for my Fuze. I had a similar thin hard case for all of my Blackberry phones in the past, so I was enthusiastic about this one when I first saw it. Also for $10 it was worth checking out. I received it today and it really fits well on the phone and barely adds any size to the unit. Here are the pictures (below and attached) and a link to where I bought it from at the bottom.

1) I put it on and took it off and it looks like it does not scratch or damage the phone in any way.
2) you can also add a belt clip (see square hole on the back of the case.
3) I am able to reach all buttons, stylus, etc with no issues at all.
4) It is MUCH easier to hold the phone and type now and it is not slippery at all and no more finger print issues.

cover1.JPG

cover2.JPG

cover3.JPG

Link to item on Ebay where I bought it - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300275132561
Delivered in under a week, which was excellent

Attachments

• cover1.JPG
    cover1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 184
  • cover2.JPG
    cover2.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 181
  • cover3.JPG
    cover3.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 205
  • cover4.JPG
    cover4.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 373
  • cover5.JPG
    cover5.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 355
  • cover6.JPG
    cover6.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

SkitchBeatz

Nov 26, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Looks decent.. what does it feel like? I have an incase slider case for my ipod touch 2g and its possibly the best material for a case that i've felt

jknuckey

Dec 12, 2008
Perfect timing on this review, I just purchased one on Ebay last Friday! :) For the cheap price, I figured I was taking a gamble on build quality and fit. Glad to see that it is working well for you. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon so I don't have to worry as much about dropping my Fuze! :)

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
Looks decent.. what does it feel like? I have an incase slider case for my ipod touch 2g and its possibly the best material for a case that i've felt

It is plastic I think, but has a soft rubber like feel.

Perfect timing on this review, I just purchased one on Ebay last Friday! For the cheap price, I figured I was taking a gamble on build quality and fit. Glad to see that it is working well for you. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon so I don't have to worry as much about dropping my Fuze!

the screen is still exposed, but you are correct. It would be a lot harder to hurt it now with the corners and border protected. For $10 it is a steal so far.

jknuckey

Dec 12, 2008
It is plastic I think, but has a soft rubber like feel.

the screen is still exposed, but you are correct. It would be a lot harder to hurt it now with the corners and border protected. For $10 it is a steal so far.

I've had my case installed a couple of days now, and I've noticed this behavior the last couple evenings: the screen eventually becomes unresponsive. I do keep my fuze in my pocket, so maybe some additional pressure is being applied to the edges of the screen. Removing the top cover (not trivial due to the tight fit) resolves the problem. I'm thinking that maybe there is not enough room on the edges of the screen.

Are you experiencing similar issues with this case?

thanks!

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
No, so far I am not experiencing any of those types of issues and my Fuze seems to be working with no issues. I can tell you that I was told by the AT&T store, and have read other threads on the net, that the phone seems to have issues ANYTIME the screen is pressed against continually or for a long period of time. It might be being in your pocket is causing the issue as you suggested.

Maybe looser pants, haha, only kidding

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
------------------
UPDATE - I just got home from the gym and this case DOES cause some problems. After having it on for a few days the screen stopped working when the cover was on. From my investigating it seems to put to much pressure on the upper left corner of the case/screen, causing the screen to stop responding to touch commands. I would not recommend this case, even for $10..... I have taken the case off and there are no issues at all with the phone, so clearly the case is the problem.

I am not sure why it worked perfectly for a few days and then started having issues, but it did.
-----------------

OlSarge

Jul 6, 2007
St Louis metro area
------------------
UPDATE - I just got home from the gym and this case DOES cause some problems. After having it on for a few days the screen stopped working when the cover was on. From my investigating it seems to put to much pressure on the upper left corner of the case/screen, causing the screen to stop responding to touch commands. I would not recommend this case, even for $10..... I have taken the case off and there are no issues at all with the phone, so clearly the case is the problem.

I am not sure why it worked perfectly for a few days and then started having issues, but it did.
-----------------

I saw in another thread where someone trimmed that corner of the case a bit, and said it worked great. Someone else said they took a dremel to theirs and it worked too. I realize that's not even close to the ideal solution, but thought I'd offer it to you anyway.

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
I saw in another thread where someone trimmed that corner of the case a bit, and said it worked great. Someone else said they took a dremel to theirs and it worked too. I realize that's not even close to the ideal solution, but thought I'd offer it to you anyway.

Thanks for the advice. My question is this, WHY would it work for a few days PERFECTLY and then start creating the problems all of a sudden? Strange.

jknuckey

Dec 12, 2008

Found the other thread, which is for the case being sold at the AT & T store; I guess it was recalled for this same problem. Sounds like a simple emery board solved the problem for some people; I think I may give that a try. Until then, I'm only keeping the back cover on so I at least have some protection...

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
Found the other thread, which is for the case being sold at the AT & T store; I guess it was recalled for this same problem. Sounds like a simple emery board solved the problem for some people; I think I may give that a try. Until then, I'm only keeping the back cover on so I at least have some protection...

I thought about doing that and keeping just the back on also, but it looks weird. I think I am going try to shave it down a little tonight and see what happens.

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
Last night using my wife's nail files, which have rounded ends that fit well against the inside of the cover, I sanded down the inside upper left part of the case and put it back on. It seems to be working currently. I will sand more if the same problem happens again. I really like this case so hope it works.

Update - just got back from over an hour at the gym and so far the screen is still working with the shaved down case on it. Now it did work for a few days the first time and then stopped, so we will see if it happens again. But so far, after shaving the inside of the case down a little last night, it seems to be working with the FUZE again.

I have attached some pics

Attachments

• IMAGE_054.jpg
    IMAGE_054.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAGE_055.jpg
    IMAGE_055.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 266

Captchunk

Oct 5, 2008
Phoenix
Thanks For the Update

Last night using my wife's nail files, which have rounded ends that fit well against the inside of the cover, I sanded down the inside upper left part of the case and put it back on. It seems to be working currently. I will sand more if the same problem happens again. I really like this case so hope it works.

Update - just got back from over an hour at the gym and so far the screen is still working with the shaved down case on it. Now it did work for a few days the first time and then stopped, so we will see if it happens again. But so far, after shaving the inside of the case down a little last night, it seems to be working with the FUZE again.

Thanks for this post, I am finally getting my Fuze this weekend and bought this case a few days ago just to be ready. I read about your problem with the case and I hope that your initial sanding attempts work out for you. Thanks again for posting all the pictures throughout this thread!:)

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
no problem. The issue IS DEFINETELY the inside upper left of the case that pushes to hard on the screen. It worked fine all day, and then after being in my pocket started acting unresponsive again. once I pulled up the upper left corner, back to normal.

The ebay sellers have been very proactive with trying to help and offering me a refund or credit. We have emailed back and forth. This is the last correspondence we had.

We are not the manufacturer of cases but I will let our distributors know about the issue. You can try to modify the case. No problem if you need to return. thanks, ncp

So with that being said, I am going to sand down the inside cover a little more and just keep sanding to see what it takes to make it work. As previously stated, for only $10 I am ok not getting a refund or returning it because it really is a nice case, looks good, and protects the unit. So I will continue to "tinker" away and try to make it work!

extensive

Mar 4, 2007
thanks for the review. i had something similar on my htc apache and i liked it. im gonna get this one too.

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
I ordered this exact case off ebay before reading this thread. Hopefully we can get them to work. I really like this style case. I had the Boxwave version on my Tilt and it worked really well.

jknuckey

Dec 12, 2008
The ebay sellers have been very proactive with trying to help and offering me a refund or credit. We have emailed back and forth. This is the last correspondence we had.
So with that being said, I am going to sand down the inside cover a little more and just keep sanding to see what it takes to make it work. As previously stated, for only $10 I am ok not getting a refund or returning it because it really is a nice case, looks good, and protects the unit. So I will continue to "tinker" away and try to make it work!

Its good to hear that the ebay seller is receptive to refunds. Keep us posted on your emery board efforts... If that doesn't work, its time to start looking at the $30 seidio innocase; hopefully that doesn't have the same problem. I've asked some folks who've ordered it to be on the lookout for this issue.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=3069884

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
Using my wife's nail files, which had rounded ends that fit well against the cover, I have sanded down the inside upper left part of the case and put it back on. It seems to be working currently. I will sand more if the same problem happens again. I really like this case so hope it works. It looks perfect on the phone.

Please see attached pictures

Attachments

• IMAGE_054.jpg
    IMAGE_054.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAGE_055.jpg
    IMAGE_055.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 43

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
Using my wife's nail files, which had rounded ends that fit well against the cover, I have sanded down the inside upper left part of the case and put it back on. It seems to be working currently. I will sand more if the same problem happens again. I really like this case so hope it works. It looks perfect on the phone.

Please see attached pictures

I just bought the case today... so hopefully everything works out well with the sanding.. can you post pics when you finish sanding? Just want to see where exactly I should sand down

cd85233

Jun 21, 2007
I have this case, no problems at all with my Sprint TP. Maybe its luck, but It is an awesome cheap case. I can tell that the rubber finish will rub off sometime, but if it last for more than a few months its fine. I took a sharpy around the white parts to make it look black, but it rubs off. I'll look for some better ways of doing this...anyways, good case.