Excactly how likely IS a custom rom for the HD2?

Search This thread

ragdoll20

Sep 13, 2009
Windows mobile phone series 7...

So we went trought the weeks, we heard all the talk, we saw all the pretty images and videos, we really wanted it... and now almost everyone hates is... :p

however, 1 thing i heard people say OVER and OVER again on sites like pocketnow.com engadget.com ang gizmodo.com is: Dont worry, XDA will have a custom rom for the HD2 in days when its out!!

I always found that strange to hear, i mean the android development has been underway for over a year now and just recently has netripper made some breaktroughs..

so (i think you know what i'm getting at..) will this really be as easy as everyone claims? Isnt it a whole new system, build from the ground up? what are your opinions :confused:

gb_r32

Apr 30, 2006
My guess is that the HD2 is likely HTCs dev platform for wp7. If that's true I think we'll see it eventually.

ilijan

Jul 21, 2008
Bratislava
Samsung Galaxy S20
one crazy russian people need only 10hour for rip the blue ray disc... after first time sony relase... and sony say its imposible to rip or rewrite :D

i think... wm7 come to hd2 but unoficial version... its best phone ever... any lg and samsung canot be better than htc hd2...

ragdoll20

Sep 13, 2009
if a development rom exists highly likely
if there's not then it may not be possible for the hd2 handset...I would prefer to think there is a development rom

what do you mean with development rom? isnt there already 1 posted in the windows 7 forum (1 page back?)

or do you mean something else?

theredundant

Nov 28, 2008
from what i've read, they are indeed trying to do something about the emulator dump, anything. but mainly waiting, for an actual rom.

Logicalstep

Jul 28, 2007
I guess it's all down to drivers and how similar WinPhoS is to 6.5.x. I mean if it's practically the same, maybe the 6.5.x Hardware drivers will work with a bit of tweaking.

Logicalstep

ragdoll20

Sep 13, 2009
I think it's possible, It seems the man in the video is using an hd2 phone - http://www.istartedsomething.com/20100318/new-windows-phone-7-series-promo-from-mix10/

Huh?? I never saw that video :confused: thats crazy, what the hell were they thinking? also, didnt htc tell us like a year ago that we WOULD get the upgrade..

anyways, dont really wanna go off track here, there are already 34,600 threads on the HD2 not getting the upgrade, i want this one to be about how likely a custom rom would be :)

young blade

Oct 18, 2008
Rotterdam
Here's a snapshot..

Attachments

• HD2.JPG
    HD2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 113

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
I guess it's all down to drivers and how similar WinPhoS is to 6.5.x. I mean if it's practically the same, maybe the 6.5.x Hardware drivers will work with a bit of tweaking.
We already know that the driver architecture has changed completely.

Huh?? I never saw that video :confused: thats crazy, what the hell were they thinking? also, didnt htc tell us like a year ago that we WOULD get the upgrade..
They definitely did not.

anyways, dont really wanna go off track here, there are already 34,600 threads on the HD2 not getting the upgrade, i want this one to be about how likely a custom rom would be :)
It really does all come down to the question of whether or not there is a working version of WP7S running on an HD2 somewhere already; and such a thing must have been created with a great deal of input from Microsoft. If this exists, and it leaks, then that might be used as the basis for a custom ROM. If it doesn't exist, or it doesn't leak, it's not going to happen.

The problem, as already alluded to, is drivers: the only possible source of device drivers for a WP7S custom ROM is Microsoft - they need to have specifically written drivers for HD2 hardware.

Even if such a thing does leak in somewhat unfinished form, there are still some question-marks. For example, unless it allows the HD2 to treat an installed SD card as if it were built-in flash memory, you would be limited to just half a gigabyte of storage space for everything - photos, videos, apps, the lot. (Real WP7S phones won't use SD cards at all, they will only have built-in memory.)

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)

They definitely did not.

It really does all come down to the question of whether or not there is a working version of WP7S running on an HD2 somewhere already; and such a thing must have been created with a great deal of input from Microsoft. If this exists, and it leaks, then that might be used as the basis for a custom ROM. If it doesn't exist, or it doesn't leak, it's not going to happen.

The problem, as already alluded to, is drivers: the only possible source of device drivers for a WP7S custom ROM is Microsoft - they need to have specifically written drivers for HD2 hardware.

Even if such a thing does leak in somewhat unfinished form, there are still some question-marks. For example, unless it allows the HD2 to treat an installed SD card as if it were built-in flash memory, you would be limited to just half a gigabyte of storage space for everything - photos, videos, apps, the lot. (Real WP7S phones won't use SD cards at all, they will only have built-in memory.)

Very good point. And half a gigabyte for everything is really, really not enough.

This is why I never look at custom ROMs and stuff like that. Even if somebody gets 7 Series working on the HD2 (or Android), it will not be a good experience. If the HD2 was not meant for 7 Series, you should not try to change it's fate (or whatever haha). If you want 7 Series: get a 7 Series device. If you want Android: get an Android device.

Btw, that movie somebody posted of the man with the HD2 running 7 Series: beautiful! I knew it would look incredible... so so bad, that it is not getting that upgrade. But hey, I am looking forward to the HTC Desire :)

mazzarin

Sep 29, 2008
Not to nitpick but the emulator has shown that there is SD card support, just artificially disabled (likely.) If we were to get a dev ROM, I'd imagine it would had support included for that very reason (512 just aint enough!) :)

Again, unlikely though.

xma1e

Mar 31, 2008
Also. MS might delibertaly put swomething in the code to make sure it will not work with the HD2.

As for the video. Yes they are using a HD2, but this doesn't mean that it was running WP7s. They could easily have overlayed the image of the OS ontop of the original video in post-production. Otherwise did you also think that the screens float in the air above the phone too? It does in the video.:p

Alize

Dec 16, 2009
Norfolk

They definitely did not.

Not quite true, Microsoft have stated (see engadget) that although the OS will still support SD cards (albeit internal), they're restricting hardware makers to put the SD cards in the device to prevent users swapping them out, if one was to disassemble their device and swap the SD card, then they should lose all their data however, they could get it all back from "the cloud".

riisesky

Jul 18, 2008
Bandung
i thinks its very likely, remember years back when i had htc magician and scrapping for wm 6.1 in it, everybody says that impossible so i had to buy hermes and dang when i rest magian and use hermes, godlike collatula make wm 6.1 run on magician

so, i still believe leo can run WM7

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
#1 Windows Phone 7 sucks. It's actually a downgrade from WM6.5.

#2 Phone 7 should technically work on HD2, so long as someone makes a rom with it.

#3 Hope Android development progresses really fast for HD2.

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
Not quite true, Microsoft have stated (see engadget) that although the OS will still support SD cards (albeit internal), they're restricting hardware makers to put the SD cards in the device to prevent users swapping them out, if one was to disassemble their device and swap the SD card, then they should lose all their data however, they could get it all back from "the cloud".
I'm not sure that Microsoft did actually say that. What they said was along the lines of "WP7S won't support a removable memory card"; Engadget pounced on the word "removable" and the rest was based purely on speculation.