[ROM][4.2.2][August 5] Slim Bean-d2(att/bell/telus/rogers) [build 8]

Search This thread

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
SlimBean 4.2.2 build 8

Finally we present our last stable 4.2.2 base build.8
as usual read changelog and install instructions and enjoy. This time only full gapps packages are provided (no upgrade packages)

You do not need to wipe between releases. buuut if you do have problems full wipe, reproduce & report appropriately ;)

Changes, Features & Fixes:
jf
  • jf: blobs updated
d2
  • d2: upstream kernel and device tree
Changelog
  • Various improvements under the hood for upcoming 4.3
  • Added Bugreport feature to SlimCenter. It creates a zip file containing basic system information and systemlogs (logcat, kmsg, last_kmsg). Please attach this zip to your bugreports from now on.
  • rearranged (more logical) Settings
  • All backend shortcut functions combined, settings observers vastly reduced and simplified.
  • Shortcuts/buttons completely redone for NavBar/Pie/Notification Shortcuts/Lockscreen Shortcuts/NavRing.
  • Fix IllegalArgumentException in Privacy Guard
  • USB: gadget: mass_storage added sysfs entry for cdrom to LUNs
  • Fix bootzip. Install signapk to sign the packages and some cleanup
  • Fix room service to allow dependency override
  • All "Master Key" exploit patches published by google integrated + additional security fixes
  • Gapps update: Google Music, Google Play Services, move google Now to system app
  • App update in app download section google+
  • Enhance support for secure google voice messaging
  • Storage Settings: Allow user to trigger a volume rescan
  • Backup: Use native google backup system to backup profile feature
  • Updated Translations
  • Fix possible NPEs at various spots
  • Changes to phone blacklist
  • Specifiy notifications types for Quicksettings pulldown and Auto Hide statusbar
  • SlimCenter cleanup
  • Various changes for SMS/MMS and Phone
  • Make MMS more compatible for Themes
  • Many Upstream changes
  • Many small bugfixes

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
SlimBeanOP2.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
  2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
  3. Full hardware key rebinding!
  4. Keyboard rotation
  5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Changelog
Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
  • IRC: #slimusers @ freenode
  • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
  • Google+ [link]
  • Twitter [link]
  • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
For Most Users
Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
  • Download the latest build from [here]
  • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
  • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
  • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

FAQ
Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Help us out!
If you want to help us by translating slim to your language check out Crowdin.net and submite your translations.
Or consider a donation.

Thanks!
You can find the full list of credits here

Source
Please visit here for the rom source code.
Kernel source can be found here

Last edited:

rha_december

Jan 29, 2012
Fayetteville
I usually don't test out AOSP roms, but I'll give this one a shot. I hope that I can get good battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Tunasty

smeatr0n

Jun 22, 2011
Langley
Oh if only somebody could fix the low recording volume when shooting video, it's the only aosp bug left that affects me! Anyone test it out on this rom yet?

Sent from my thumbs to your brain.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
Awesome!

think I found a bug...with nova launcher, I usually have long press menu key to trigger Voice Search.. now it only brings up Google Search. Can't get it back to normal.

That's not a bug... it's mapped to Google Now, which IS Voice Search... You can remap it to the regular Voice Search in Interface => General => Hardware Keys

Change Long press Menu to Voice Search

Reactions: Babydollll

tj_ona

Been running slim lately. Ready to jump to 4.2.1. Test drive time. Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Does Bluetooth audio work? Its not on you bug list. I know everyone hates this question, but I need it so I have to ask.

stevehkim

Oct 29, 2011
Changlog reports capacitive lights turning off and not coming back on is fixed... still have the issue, with complete full wipe...

+1.

Also for the life of me I can't find disable alarm clock icon in status bar. Other than that running great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

JoshReuben

Jul 10, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Google Pixel 6
Can't turn on Bluetooth at all on mine via dirty flash from the first 4.2.1 beta.

Been running slim lately. Ready to jump to 4.2.1. Test drive time. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Does Bluetooth audio work? Its not on you bug list. I know everyone hates this question, but I need it so I have to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

elementaldragon

Feb 21, 2011
Changlog reports capacitive lights turning off and not coming back on is fixed... still have the issue, with complete full wipe...

do you really NEED them? Honestly, if there's a setting in a ROM to turn off the backlight for the capacitive buttons, i usually turn them off. It's not like it's something difficult to remember.... left is menu, right is back..... plus, it looks quite sleek having them off.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
do you really NEED them? Honestly, if there's a setting in a ROM to turn off the backlight for the capacitive buttons, i usually turn them off. It's not like it's something difficult to remember.... left is menu, right is back..... plus, it looks quite sleek having them off.

Dude.. No I DON'T need them and could care less if they light up or not... I was reporting that the change log has a fix listed that isn't fixed... Why respond to my post like that? Keep it to yourself next time...

Sleepy!

Jul 20, 2010

When did reporting an error become a crime? :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimBeanOP2.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
    2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
    3. Full hardware key rebinding!
    4. Keyboard rotation
    5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Changelog
    Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
    • IRC: #slimusers @ freenode
    • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
    • Google+ [link]
    • Twitter [link]
    • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
    For Most Users
    Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
    • Download the latest build from [here]
    • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
    • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
    • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

FAQ
    Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Help us out!
    If you want to help us by translating slim to your language check out Crowdin.net and submite your translations.
    Or consider a donation.

Thanks!
    You can find the full list of credits here

Source
    Please visit here for the rom source code.
    Kernel source can be found here
    what are the chances of having "halo" added this weekend?
    Would also like to see halo added to this great ROM. Would only make it better IMO.

So I'll go ahead & spill the beans -- we've been testing Halo internally & it's making the rounds in our code review. I can almost guarantee it will get merged at some point in the near future. It will have some slim-only modifications done to offer a few extra things.

Not going to say too much, but I'm adding a "big" feature on top of Halo myself that I'll get started on this weekend & next week (vacation!). That said, we're pretty anal about code quality & while I'm sure PA has done an excellent job, we always modify features we borrow for slim and co-opt them in our own way. So it definitely won't be in this weekly, but there are some Slim devs very excited about this and it's getting its share of internal attention.

Hats off to the PA team for yet another innovative & brilliant feature!!
    Just to break the 4.3 silence...

4.3 beta 2 for d2att/d2tmo will be released tomorrow with our automated weeklies. I'll be starting a new thread for it so stay tuned for that. This thread will effectively be retired and all 4.3 discussions should be sent to the new one (which I'll link).

4.3 is very stable and very fast for the d2att, I think you guys will be very happy. All Slim features have been ported over with even more bugfixes from issues we didn't even know we had in 4.2.2 but were found through rigorous testing.
    Is it generally true that whatever bugs cyanogenmod has, that slim bean will also have? Or is slim bean more stable than cyanogenmod?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes and no. Slim uses (like most/almost all AOSP based non-nexus device roms) CyanogenMod's device repositories. These repos consist almost entirely of upstream code and in the case of this device specifically, qualcomm and their code aurora forum branches.

So there is and always will be what a lot of people have coined as upstream issues (bluetooth, camera, call hang up freezes, audio glitching, etc). Issues between our hardware and libraries that is in a constant state of development. The difficult thing about these issues is because we're only provided binary blobs instead of actual source, our hands are tied until those binaries are updated for new versions of android or (again in our case) qualcomm updates their chipset branches. As for the device level code that qualcomm provides, I would say that it is beyond 99.99% of XDA's "developers" -- especially considering most devs/ROMs on XDA contain little to no original code or features and that a lot of ROM authors are actually just chefs, cherry picking other people's commits with slight changes here & there to make the code work together. Lately we've been calling them kitchen sink ROMS, since some people are just throwing everything in but the kitchen sink, regardless of how it affects device speed or stability.

Any and every feature you add has the potential to introduce new instabilities and problems. Pick your poison, really. Though I'd like to think we do a pretty damn good job of testing and reviewing all our code before it's merged in github, let alone release to you guys. We have a strict gerrit code review process where in each commit lives for review while we test on all our supported devices. One thing you won't see in our source, which you definitely can't say for most other ROMs, is commits with messages like "Oops!" or "Derp!". That is a very telling sign that the ROM you're going to flash has "developers" who are just pushing broken and buggy code to the github before really testing it themselves and have no actual development experience themselves.

When I put on my typical user hat, that kind of thing is very scary and I stay away from those kinds of ROMs.
    Build 4.1 update

SlimBean 4.2.2 build 4.1

I know we normally don't do this kind of thing, but given the circumstances with the CM display updates and the fact that new kernels would not be compatible with build 4, we pushed an update to address that. You shouldn't have to do a full wipe to upgrade from 4 to 4.1. Obviously if you have nutty issues then wipe, reproduce & let me know.

Changes:
    • Display and Audio CAF updates (CM)
    • Loads of kernel updates
    • SlimIRC nickname pop-up fix
    - Download build 4.1

I've also been providing you guys with an "addon" kernel. It's based entirely off CM's stock kernel with a few extras. The build 4.1 addon kernel has the following:
    • Latest CM changes as of 04/20
    • Minimum 192mhz frequency
    • Added governors: wheatley, lulzactive, dancedance
    • USB fastcharge
    • Vibration control (Settings -> Performance -> Vibration Strength)
    • Faux sound control
    • morfic/trinity colors
    It's a kernel for people who don't want anything too fancy, just a little something extra.

- Download build 4.1 addon kernel

The source is on my github here. Thanks to ktoonsez and GideonX!