[Q] Low signal and Wifi

Search This thread

99nirc99

Sep 3, 2011
Well I've just installed Purity Rom on my Nexus 5.
I notice that my signal is on about 2 stripes, which is really wierd! on my old SGS 2 it used
to be 5 all the time.
Also, my wifi signal is pretty low from the same room where the router is! something is really wierd.
My wifi downloads at about 25kb/s from the play store, which is wierd because it should get to about 2mb/s.
Should I switch Kernel/Modem? if so to which one/s?
thanks alot!

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Tried a couple of times and it has nothing to do with it. Downloading from my laptop reaches 2mb/s easily.
And its also the 3G signal that has problems, really not sure why.
I know it's counterintuitive, but the router apparently interacts differently depending on the device.
I only mentioned the router firmware upgrade because that's what fixed it for me.

99nirc99

Sep 3, 2011
That's what the upgrade fixed. Of course, yours could be weak for any number of reasons. Is it the same for other phones?

I mean the cellular signal, for calling and 3G network... And as I said, on my previous SGS2 the signal is always full and also wifi.
Something is wrong with my Modem/Kernel or something like that.

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
I mean the cellular signal, for calling and 3G network... And as I said, on my previous SGS2 the signal is always full and also wifi.
Something is wrong with my Modem/Kernel or something like that.

Try using the .17 radio instead of the .23. You have to be rooted to downgrade or flash the 4.4 factory image to test it.

Otherwise bars means nothing as long as you aren't dropping calls. Different phones display them differently. Look at About Phone - Status and see the actual dBms and see if they are similar. Some phones do -89 as 4 bars while some require -79 and higher to be 4 bars.

99nirc99

Sep 3, 2011
Try using the .17 radio instead of the .23. You have to be rooted to downgrade or flash the 4.4 factory image to test it.

Otherwise bars means nothing as long as you aren't dropping calls. Different phones display them differently. Look at About Phone - Status and see the actual dBms and see if they are similar. Some phones do -89 as 4 bars while some require -79 and higher to be 4 bars.

I'm not sure, but I really don't want to use 4.4...
Why is my WiFi signal weak aswell? it just works bad/not working at all at a medium range from the router...

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
I'm not sure, but I really don't want to use 4.4...
Why is my WiFi signal weak aswell? it just works bad/not working at all at a medium range from the router...

I said 4.4 to test it. Testing is the only way you'll narrow down the variables. We can't always do all the work for you :p

Once you are on 4.4 then you can see how it works then and if not then jump back to 4.4.2 and then you test something else.

And I said about "bars" being meaningless for the most part as long as you aren't dropping connections. You said it works bad at medium range or not working at all? Meaning you can't connect and what's medium range? Medium might be 50ft or 200ft. I dunno how big your place is or what's your walls are made of.