[Q] Root Vivitar XO (Kids tablet)

Search This thread

Talysdaddy

Apr 15, 2013
sEAtOWn, WA
Hey guys!

First off, any help or info on this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Just wondering if anyone has any info or knows where I can find, how to root this Vivitar XO, children's tablet? :confused:
My daughter just won this at preschool. It's ok, I guess, its similar to the other kids tablets with the "kid UI" and the normal Android UI, we see on our phones and tablets. it does have decent specs (below) for a kids tablet, better than most so far, especially in the $150 range..
Hopefully, some kids with hacker parents/siblings gets one soon, so we can really make this thing cool! :fingers-crossed:
If anyone knows anything now, please share the knowledge, a very generous beer/coffee donation's waiting! :highfive:

THANKS!!!!

Technical Specifications
Size: 7.6" x 4.65" x .39"
Screen Size: 7"
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600
Storage: 8GB
Processor: 1.6GHz dual core
Operating System Android: 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
RAM: 1GB
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Camera: 1.2MP Front-Facing / 2.0MP Rear-Facing
Battery Life: up to 7.5 hours

Reactions: Dboi7453

microwiz

Jul 14, 2013
I'm interested in this too - I hooked up with USB debugging turned on and tried adb, but it couldn't see the device. I'm guessing this is due to a generic adb driver not working, but I suppose there could be other secret sauce (e.g. adb.ini magic numbers) needed too.

I'm eager to try some scans for e.g. the Master Key vulnerability and point the Impactor to it - if I can just get adb to see the device! Please, anyone, let us know if you have success getting adb working - I can't stand having an un-rooted tablet in the house! :p

lionel911

Nov 10, 2013
Magic numbers for XO Tablet

I hooked up with USB debugging turned on and tried adb, but it couldn't see the device. I'm guessing this is due to a generic adb driver not working, but I suppose there could be other secret sauce (e.g. adb.ini magic numbers) needed too.

Interested too but I found the magic numbers !
If I add following lines to the Google generic USB driver, I could see the XO Tablet from ADB:

;XO Tablet
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_16D5&PID_8007&MI_01

Hope that help and you could find a way to root it
Let us know !

Reactions: microwiz

ReaperMMA

Dec 17, 2013
Vivitar Camelio Tablet Root Method (no fastboot or bootloader)

I have a Vivitar Camelio tablet for my kids and I have rooted several tablets and phones and understand as a tech myself what to do in most cases...

I want to root and remove bloatware and test some customized JB roms on this basic tablet.
I can connect and see it using PdaNet drivers and I can only backup/restore via adb but when I try to run any fastboot commands I get errors such as fastboot device not detected.

This vivitar stock tablet has a custom 4.1.1 JB rom on it stock. I cannot boot into download mode. However I can boot into its stock recovery with just a few options available such as sideload, wipe cache, factory reset and also reboot. I can see the device from ADB but cannot use fastboot commands without the no device error.

A way to root this tablet and without the bootloader accessibility I cannot do this. I will pay via paypal 10 whole US dollars for the first person that can successfully walk me through this. We can use gotomypc or to video conference or simply you can draft up the steps I need to perform. I am ok with bricking this toy my kid is 3 and the device is a bit much for her at this point so I'll try anything to unlock the bootloader so I can root and rom it.

I was able to gather tablet information but this is all that was displayed via ADB.

DEVICE INFORMATION:

Product Description: Camelio Family Tablet

Device Product: (Blank)

Device Type: PI070H04CA

Firmware Version: 4.1.1

Firmware Build: JRO03H

Firmware Region Code: (Blank)

Bootloader Version: (Blank)

Boot Image Status: Secure

ANY HELP I S GREATLY APPRECIATED!

This tablet is pretty good for the $99 price tag so this should be a question that will be asked again and again by others in the future. Help me on this one and you can post the Vivitar Camelio Root method update and take all the credit for it :D

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jason

ReaperMMA

Dec 17, 2013
Problem Solved!

Root your device with Kingo. here is the link! Enjoy!

Google Kingo Root and you will find it quick and easy.

Jason

Rooted Camelio Tablet and S4 Mini with Kingo.

microwiz

Jul 14, 2013
If I add following lines to the Google generic USB driver, I could see the XO Tablet from ADB:

;XO Tablet

Let us know !

I found another way of waking up adb and getting it to see the "XO Learning Tablet" over USB debugging - I kind of cheated by launching Moborobo :/ but at least I got connected.

Anyhow, after that, I checked with the SRT AppScanner and both existing Master Key vulns were still present on the 4.1.1 build of Android that the tablet ships with. I tried the first option in the Cydia Impactor ("# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su") and had immediate success! Both a shell (which allowed me to su) and activating the Root Explorer in ES File Explorer (after installing SuperSU) worked flawlessly.

Hope this is helpful to folks desiring to root their XO Tablet. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Reactions: jtrag and lionel911

SnoopyII

May 19, 2007
Root your device with Kingo. here is the link! Enjoy!

Google Kingo Root and you will find it quick and easy.

Jason

Rooted Camelio Tablet and S4 Mini with Kingo.

Kingo root does work on the XO Learning tablet. Also the button combo to get into recovery mode is Vol- & Power at the same time. When it starts up release the power button.

Last edited:

Galaxoid75

Nov 6, 2014
Camelio F.T ROOT

I have a Vivitar Camelio tablet for my kids and I have rooted several tablets and phones and understand as a tech myself what to do in most cases...

I want to root and remove bloatware and test some customized JB roms on this basic tablet.
I can connect and see it using PdaNet drivers and I can only backup/restore via adb but when I try to run any fastboot commands I get errors such as fastboot device not detected.

This vivitar stock tablet has a custom 4.1.1 JB rom on it stock. I cannot boot into download mode. However I can boot into its stock recovery with just a few options available such as sideload, wipe cache, factory reset and also reboot. I can see the device from ADB but cannot use fastboot commands without the no device error.

A way to root this tablet and without the bootloader accessibility I cannot do this. I will pay via paypal 10 whole US dollars for the first person that can successfully walk me through this. We can use gotomypc or to video conference or simply you can draft up the steps I need to perform. I am ok with bricking this toy my kid is 3 and the device is a bit much for her at this point so I'll try anything to unlock the bootloader so I can root and rom it.

I was able to gather tablet information but this is all that was displayed via ADB.

DEVICE INFORMATION:

This tablet is pretty good for the $99 price tag so this should be a question that will be asked again and again by others in the future. Help me on this one and you can post the Vivitar Camelio Root method update and take all the credit for it :D

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jason
Hey Jason, I have the same tablet someone gave it to me. So I've been playing with it seeing what happens but an answer to your question is by Geohot at towelroot DL the file and run it the DL busybox and install it and let it run oh, DL superSU after that try Root Checker from play store you should be rooted. Hope this helps.

Reactions: tindean

tindean

Mar 25, 2013
After We have Root access, is there a rom We can flash to make this a normal
Tablet?
My kid doesnt like the interface at all.
Just a stock jb 4.1.1?
Thanks much.

r2161984

Jan 5, 2015
cleveland
Thanks in advance

I found another way of waking up adb and getting it to see the "XO Learning Tablet" over USB debugging - I kind of cheated by launching Moborobo :/ but at least I got connected.

Anyhow, after that, I checked with the SRT AppScanner and both existing Master Key vulns were still present on the 4.1.1 build of Android that the tablet ships with. I tried the first option in the Cydia Impactor ("# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su") and had immediate success! Both a shell (which allowed me to su) and activating the Root Explorer in ES File Explorer (after installing SuperSU) worked flawlessly.

Hope this is helpful to folks desiring to root their XO Tablet. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

...i am very new to android mods.. ive modded xbox1 ,360 ,ps3, jb ipods n iphones but never anything android .. kids got xo tablet for Christmas ..2 kids 2 tablets 1 of which .. my oldest daughter .. 7 .. insist her dad can modify anything lol .. i dont want to brick it and a detailed tutorial or at least point me in the right direction would be greatfully appreciated .. ive looked into it with not many results..if u could walk me through the proper procedure on backing up and reinstalling stock im up to try anything and post results

Bryverine

Mar 8, 2016
...i am very new to android mods.. ive modded xbox1 ,360 ,ps3, jb ipods n iphones but never anything android .. kids got xo tablet for Christmas ..2 kids 2 tablets 1 of which .. my oldest daughter .. 7 .. insist her dad can modify anything lol .. i dont want to brick it and a detailed tutorial or at least point me in the right direction would be greatfully appreciated .. ive looked into it with not many results..if u could walk me through the proper procedure on backing up and reinstalling stock im up to try anything and post results

Did you ever find anything about this? I'm killing myself trying to install cyanogenmod on this tablet after I rooted it.

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
This really needs a root or firmware if you ever intend on repurposing it. Will have to experiment with ADB and see if I can at least clear out the excess media files. My middle-schooler could probably still make use of it as it is (having a restricted "child" mode might still be a good idea), but would like to clean up the cruft that's not needed (like a lot of undeletable sample files). But yes, if it could also be permanently set to "parent" mode, and I could put MS Launcher on it, that would be nice too.

I actually ended up with 4 of them, two or three that aren't charging. I'm going to open the two that don't charge and see if I can fix that, at which point they could be available for dev work. (now that I re-located my bricked Nabi2, I should send that one out for dev work too).

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
If it's of any use, when it's attached to my Linux box, "lsusb" will report it as this:

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0bb4:0c02 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.) Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)

"adb devices" shows:
XO8801114002af6
as the device name.

Since I can connect it and am able to navigate through the directories on internal storage, I could pull system information if you tell me what you need.

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
For something that was supposedly an open-specification device, this tablet is sorely lacking in documentation and other critical information. Wasn't the who purpose of the OLPC project (which was selling this tablet) that it was supposed to be open and customizable? Or was Nicholas Negroponte lying to us?

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Actually, at this point the tablet is garbage. I can't even force it into a factory reset, because I can't get to the bootloader menu. And somehow it has decided to add a secondary password (after the parental password), so there is ***NO*** way to get into a system menu to do a reset from the settings screen. Short of finding a way to short something on the system board, the only thing to do with this thing is to take a sledgehammer to it.

(yeah, it failed just as harshly as the entire OLPC project did, I guess).

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
So I still haven't found an answer to what the deal *IS* with the XO Tablet. It has all the pretensions of being part of the OLPC Project, but unlike the laptop itself, which was an OPEN design, fully specced, available for experimentation and customization, this tablet seems to be much the OPPOSITE of that, being pretty-much undocumented, and no one wants to touch the things.

I mean seriously, I'd be willing to pull an image from a fresh factory-reset system so that someone could experiment with it. I'd send it to someone to hack themselves, but really, the device doesn't exude any noxious odors, it doesn't spontaneously spring out poison-laced spikes, at worst it looks kind-of 'meh' as far as design goes. So you don't have to be afraid to touch one.

(for that matter, I'd also send someone my bricked Nabi 2S (was that the name for the later revision?); it does nothing for me sitting unused in a closet)

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
From what I was able to get from someone who had worked/still works for the OLPC project, this tablet was something some execttive had pushed through without Engineering's knowledge, and therefore it was little more than a sugar UI slapped on top of a proprietary device. Released under their name, but that's about it.

System information from the "Hardware Info" tool shows:

System (Android 4.1.1)
Model XO Learning tablet
Manufacturer XiangDe
Device PI070H08XO
Product PI070H08XO
Brand Vivitar
Android Version 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)
API Level 16
Build ID JRO03H
Fingerprint Vivitar/PI070H08XO/PI070H08XO:4.1.1/JRO03H/XD-XO-BN-29052013.V010:user/release-keys

Although it will prove to be about as useful as anything else, since the configuration files for it haven't magically sprung out of netherspace.

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
Yes, you can "root" this tablet (it's pretty much open anyway), but even if you leave it at it's default Android version, the UI is still a serious problem. If you want to repurpose it as a normal tablet and not the dumbed-down kids version, you need to get rid of the built-in launcher. I had thought I found how to disable the launcher in ADB, but it only made it not boot, and I had to wipe to the factory image again. How do you even figure out what it's running for it's launcher so you can disable/remove it at the system level?

I know it must be possible to edit the system image itself (that reloads when you do a factory wipe) because I had at some point managed to delete the on-screen keyboard app (when you factory wipe, you have to plug in a USB keyboard with OTG and eventually re-load a KB device). But Android seems intent upon making the internals of the device incomprehensible. Even with all the cruft Microsoft forces on you with their systems, I'd still think the Windows Mobile devices were probably MORE open than Android.

Since I have two of these (the other is stock) I could factory wipe the other one and pull an image, if there were actually some documentation on how to do that. But with Android, you can never do something for the first time unless you've already done it 10 times previously.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

;XO Tablet

Let us know !

Hey guys!

First off, any help or info on this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    Just wondering if anyone has any info or knows where I can find, how to root this Vivitar XO, children's tablet? :confused:
    My daughter just won this at preschool. It's ok, I guess, its similar to the other kids tablets with the "kid UI" and the normal Android UI, we see on our phones and tablets. it does have decent specs (below) for a kids tablet, better than most so far, especially in the $150 range..
    Hopefully, some kids with hacker parents/siblings gets one soon, so we can really make this thing cool! :fingers-crossed:
    If anyone knows anything now, please share the knowledge, a very generous beer/coffee donation's waiting! :highfive:

THANKS!!!!

Technical Specifications
    Size: 7.6" x 4.65" x .39"
    Screen Size: 7"
    Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600
    Storage: 8GB
    Processor: 1.6GHz dual core
    Operating System Android: 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
    RAM: 1GB
    Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
    Camera: 1.2MP Front-Facing / 2.0MP Rear-Facing
    Battery Life: up to 7.5 hours
    Magic numbers for XO Tablet

I hooked up with USB debugging turned on and tried adb, but it couldn't see the device. I'm guessing this is due to a generic adb driver not working, but I suppose there could be other secret sauce (e.g. adb.ini magic numbers) needed too.

;XO Tablet

Let us know !
    Camelio F.T ROOT

DEVICE INFORMATION:

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jason
    Hey Jason, I have the same tablet someone gave it to me. So I've been playing with it seeing what happens but an answer to your question is by Geohot at towelroot DL the file and run it the DL busybox and install it and let it run oh, DL superSU after that try Root Checker from play store you should be rooted. Hope this helps.