HELP! Unroot Without Power Button

Search This thread

ryan25012003

Sep 8, 2008
Jakarta
Hi. I dropped my TF a few days ago and now the power button stops working. I want to RMA it but it is rooted. Is there any way to unroot the TF without using the power button? thanks.

lost_

Jan 29, 2010
DC
Get Reboot to Recovery (or from the market here or use the donate version to thank them for getting you out of your jam).

Just curious, where would you RMA it in IDN? How much was it there in Rp?

Last edited:

ryan25012003

Sep 8, 2008
Jakarta
Thanks for the info. Do I need to have CWM installed first? I didn't install CWM before and I don't think I can do it now. (sorry for noob questions) I bought it in the US. Do they have international warranty or something? I don't think I can spend that much time away from my TF. They sell it here for US $699 net price.

Last edited:

Saiboogu

Apr 28, 2009
Frostburg MD
Warranties don't usually apply outside the country of sale, but I haven't read the terms on the ASUS one so I could be wrong. I am certain it doesn't cover physical damage from being dropped, though. I've heard other stories on here that they sent in a damaged device and ASUS offered a repair quote, so you might get lucky and be offered a new bezel with buttons cheap.

Reactions: ryan25012003

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Anything that uses recovery or nvflash won't work because of the power button... you need the staging partition!

You can do it by copying a stock blob to the staging partition. The TF will do all the flashing for you ;)

You do need adb and root, but no power buttons.

Here's the 1 click method!

Be sure ADB is installed on your PC. There are threads on how to do this all over XDA.

Be sure your battery is charged.

Download a stock firmware from the ASUS website. Be sure to match your country code (WW, TW, US, etc.)

Unzip the firmware. It should create an ASUS/Update/some.zip. Unzip the some.zip file too.
If this went well you should be looking at a giant blob! ~500M or so. No kidding- the file will be called "blob"

Use ADB to push the blob to your TF or just copy it to your SD card. Your choice.
Code:
adb push blob /data/local/
Connect your TF to your PC and type "adb shell" to start a shell.

Type these commands into the shell
Now the magic happens....
Code:
su
dd if=/data/local/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
reboot

Be sure to get the dd command correct. The last three characters are zero-pee-four. If you pushed/saved the blob somewhere else, you'll have to adjust the "if=" to match the path.

Your TF should reboot and it will flash the stock rom. You'll see a blue progress bar that will flash quickly, but still take longer than you think it should. Be patient. Your TF will reboot automatically.

You can now delete the blob file from your TF.

Last edited:

igot6strings

Apr 23, 2011
Did this work for you? I'm in the same boat. I have CWM and latest Revolver installed. Would there be any other steps besides those mentioned here if I have CWM installed?

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Anything that uses recovery or nvflash won't work because of the power button... you need the staging partition!

You can do it by copying a stock blob to the staging partition. The TF will do all the flashing for you ;)

Be sure ADB is installed on your PC. There are threads on how to do this all over XDA.

Download a stock firmware from the ASUS website. Be sure to match your country code (WW, TW, US, etc.)

Unzip the firmware. It should create an ASUS/Update/some.zip. Unzip the some.zip file too.
If this went well you should be looking at a giant blob! ~500M or so. No kidding- the file will be called "blob"

Use ADB to push the blob to your TF or just copy it to your SD card. Your choice.
Code:

Code:
su
reboot

Be sure to get the dd command correct. The last three characters are zero-pee-four. If you pushed/saved the blob somewhere else, you'll have to adjust the "if=" to match the path.

Your TF should reboot and it will flash the stock rom. You'll see a blue progress bar that will flash quickly, but still take longer than you think it should. Be patient. Your TF will reboot automatically.

So this can be used as a way to return a tablet to stock or potentially un-softbrick a tablet?

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

ratindahat

Nov 11, 2006
You might try using the dock?

I'm not sure if i can actually select anything with the dock(like using the power button), but if i boot into cwm with the dock connected i can use the arrow keys to scroll up and down. Worth a look anyway.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Is there any mode that adb does work on? (From Clockwork, APX mode(?), etc.)

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

If it's enabled, you can use adb in the regular system and recovery. It won't work in apx mode/nvflash.

The tricky part is that sometimes, it's not enabled, and that time is usually when you need it to be. You can enable through the system settings or by changing flags in the boot or recovery images.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Code:
    su
    reboot

Warranties don't usually apply outside the country of sale, but I haven't read the terms on the ASUS one so I could be wrong. I am certain it doesn't cover physical damage from being dropped, though. I've heard other stories on here that they sent in a damaged device and ASUS offered a repair quote, so you might get lucky and be offered a new bezel with buttons cheap.