Be careful what wire you pick for S-OFF

Search This thread

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
I didn't realize that the wire I was using was a little sharp on one end. As you can see, this can do bad things to the PCB.
IMG_0686b.jpg

My phone is rebooting the instant I touch the wire to ground, so I don't know if I am going to be able to do the wire trick. )= We shall see.

I ended up taking the back case off of my phone so I could have better access. It does make it a little easier:
IMG_0687.JPG

Reactions: psmit69

Quada

Oct 17, 2010
Good catch. This should be kept at the top for people to see. How hard was the wire you used?

maqsur

Mar 27, 2010
Emerald Coast
I tried a clipped old cat5 cable but found it too flimsy. Switched to a plain small paperclip and was successful.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

nolimitzr2

Nov 8, 2010
CT
I took a plastic ended wall tack wrapped some speaker wire tight for the pin 1 hole then did the same for other end to tap the ground. Pretty precise for me looks good on the pcb over here

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
IF anyone does happen to be as clumsy as me you will be happy to know that you can lift up the motherboard and there is a large pad on the bottom you can use instead of the tiny dot.

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
I found that a small piece of coax cable works well.

Sent from my Htc Rezound
Follow me on twitter @lmrtech

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
My phone is rebooting the instant I touch the wire to ground, so I don't know if I am going to be able to do the wire trick.

I kind of gathered from the main thread that it's supposed to do that, and that they want the second contact 1.75 seconds into the reboot.

How hard were you pressing on that wire, anyway? I would think it took a little time and effort to do this damage.

isdnmatt

Jan 30, 2007
How hard were you pushing? Even with a sharpened point, you would still have to push pretty hard to scrape like that.

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
A 6 inch piece of household stranded speaker wire worked great for me. Fits into pin 1 hole kind of tight and is easier to hit the contact.

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
How hard were you pushing? Even with a sharpened point, you would still have to push pretty hard to scrape like that.

Lol. Not very hard. It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't.

Actually, I was just looking at it some more and I am starting to think it was already like that before I did anything. I just tried to purposefully scratch another spot and I couldn't do it.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I used a paperclip myself. Only problem I had at first was keeping contact with the first connection before hitting the ground. Found a bigger paper clip with less wiggle and problem solved.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

eriscentro

Mar 18, 2010
Hopefully big red doesn't use this against us if we send the device in.

Meticode

Feb 17, 2011
Hopefully big red doesn't use this against us if we send the device in.

What do you mean? Having access to S-Off no means we can put our phones back into a "Locked" status that now doesn't show you tampered with it. Meaning you should be able to return your phone and even if they check to see if you unlocked it they won't be able to tell.

Reactions: uToTMeH8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just plane old speaker wire worked for me. (For people who look at this later)
    I used a long cat hair I pulled out of the cat, and then dipped into Aluminum to make it conductive. Worked great without any scratching though the cat was a bit pissed off.
    I used ipod cable, cut both ends off n twisted the wires together

Can't think of a better use for i-anything. :)
    I didn't realize that the wire I was using was a little sharp on one end. As you can see, this can do bad things to the PCB.
    IMG_0686b.jpg

My phone is rebooting the instant I touch the wire to ground, so I don't know if I am going to be able to do the wire trick. )= We shall see.

I ended up taking the back case off of my phone so I could have better access. It does make it a little easier:
    IMG_0687.JPG
    Seriously? I could have just used a paper clip? -facepalm-

Yep. That's what I used. A paperclip, and wrapped it in clear tape from a desk dispenser so I didn't have any static electricity. :)