[NES Emulator] vNESLight

Search This thread

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
1) I'll get it in for the next version definitely. There is a report that pops up when u add via zip/rar, albeit it's kinda slow to pop up.

Great, I look forward to it. That would make it a lot easier for people who dont deside to to a Zip/Rar. As I like to have them listed so I know what's there when I go into my skydrive.

2) You just tap the save state file inside browse, may have to rename it to end with ".zip", should be fully ".zip.txt", but u can't change extensions in SkyDrive. There should be a save icon if the file is ok. Just hit refresh if you're changing around file names, there's some heavy caching of the files/folders.

Worked Perfect, Downloaded "saves.txt", renamed it to "saves.zip.txt" re-upped and it inported them fine. Thanks but, why was it not named with zip.txt in the firstplace ? Just wondering...

I know this is minor but, Can it be set so it could read the internal name of the game ?

I know I should rename everything but, just uploading games gives me "gamename (U) 1.5.NES" (for example) so it shows "gamename(U) 1.5", is there a way to pull names from games so it would only show "gamename" ? An option to turn it on or off would be nice.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Great, I look forward to it. That would make it a lot easier for people who dont deside to to a Zip/Rar. As I like to have them listed so I know what's there when I go into my skydrive.

Worked Perfect, Downloaded "saves.txt", renamed it to "saves.zip.txt" re-upped and it inported them fine. Thanks but, why was it not named with zip.txt in the firstplace ? Just wondering...

I know this is minor but, Can it be set so it could read the internal name of the game ?

I know I should rename everything but, just uploading games gives me "gamename (U) 1.5.NES" (for example) so it shows "gamename(U) 1.5", is there a way to pull names from games so it would only show "gamename" ? An option to turn it on or off would be nice.

I would have just named them .zip, but the SkyDrive api only allows for certain extensions. It's basically a simple zip file with the saves/thumbnails so you could open it to grab the thumbnails or delete stuff if u like.

Most of the time the games doesn't have an internal name, so it would have to be parsed from the file name itself, I'll consider it. For now u just have to rename manually.

dragonide

Jul 9, 2010
Rome
Nudua I really can't understand why but performance in 1.0 are far worse than beta version ...

I could play smoothly with sound ... now It has problems even with -2 or -3 frames skip option :(

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Nudua I really can't understand why but performance in 1.0 are far worse than beta version ...

I could play smoothly with sound ... now It has problems even with -2 or -3 frames skip option :(

You on the Titan? It really shouldn't have any perf. issues with sound on at 1 frame skip. Might be the ad-control, I saw there was a hotfix for it released recently that I didn't get in. Working on fixing a few other issues like the hardware keyboard delay before I send it in for certification.

Reactions: anseio

dragonide

Jul 9, 2010
Rome
You on the Titan? It really shouldn't have any perf. issues with sound on at 1 frame skip. Might be the ad-control, I saw there was a hotfix for it released recently that I didn't get in. Working on fixing a few other issues like the hardware keyboard delay before I send it in for certification.

Yes, I am on Titan.
And I think the problem is related to the ad too ... :(

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Seams it was the ad-control causing the lag issue on the Titan, luckily updating to the latest hotfixed version fixes it.

I think I've sorted out the hardware keyboard delay as well, but still need people to verify with real devices. So anyone interested in helping me sort out the problem can send me a pm or email me at the address in the previous post.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
What came down with the 1.1 update ?

Been meaning to post about it, mostly just bug fixes. Had an older version of the ad-control sdk and that was causing some input problems in the free version, mainly with hardware keyboards. Stability issues with loading save states and auto detection of devices.

1.2 will have a little more meat to it, gonna do another round of performance optimizing as well taking a look at a few games that doesn't work properly.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Been meaning to post about it, mostly just bug fixes. Had an older version of the ad-control sdk and that was causing some input problems in the free version, mainly with hardware keyboards. Stability issues with loading save states and auto detection of devices.

1.2 will have a little more meat to it, gonna do another round of performance optimizing as well taking a look at a few games that doesn't work properly.

Awsome ! I was just wondering as I got the update on my phone and I came right here and saw nothing. I have a small request but, I will drop it via email. :)

Should we start reporting problems with games to help or do you have a list of issues ? You should post the ones you know about someplace, so we can add to it as we have issues.

Today... R.C. Pro-AM and Cobra Triangle scrolling issues, the score moves with the screen and it makes a mess (2 of my fav pick up and play games)

thesecondsfade

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
It's unbelievable how well this app performs considering it's limitations by the WP7 system. You have already made strides in that arena. Great job! I bought the paid version and still use the free version to give you ad-views/clicks.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
How's 1.2 coming along ? Or did you drop this for vSNESlight ? :D

(note:vSNESlight is not a valid project name before the rumors start)

Been somewhat busy with other stuff atm, but I'll have more time the following weeks to finish it.

I probably won't start any major projects before the WP8 SDK hits, which is rumored to hit next month if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Microsoft gives us a lot more access this time around, assuming it's anything like Windows 8 development.

The SNES and the N64 are notoriously hard to emulate correctly because of their complicated hardware designs and quirks, so I will probably avoid those. Hopefully we'll see older native emulators like Snes9x/ZSNES/mupen64 ported over if we get c/c++ and DirectX access on WP8. (and everything points to that)

Reactions: DavidinCT

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
It's been quite a while, any updates ?

Honestly, I took a break during the summer with some of the time working on the Windows 8 version. And that was more or less a complete rewrite since it's so different from WP7, but it does have huge benefits like native DirectX, gamepad support and such. I also decided to switch out the emulation core with one based of FCEUX, which has better accuracy and game compatibility. And I'll of course use the same version on WP8, I've already played around with the leaked WP8 sdk and the new emulation core works with minor changes.

On to the WP7 version, I've already made some improvements to sound, rendering, fixed a few games and added the ability to take screenshots. But right now I'm very focused on getting the W8 version ready when the store opens up for all developers (right now it's only open to companies), I'm guessing it will open sometime in September.

I will take the time to finish up the vNESLight 1.2 update as soon as possible.

Reactions: DavidinCT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vNESLight 1.0 is now live, bringing a redesigned GUI, new controls, improved save states and much more. It has also been split up into a fully functional ad-supported free version and a paid version (vNESLight Pro) without ads. Unfortunately that means the xap file will no longer be available for sideloading. Both versions should be up in all of the marketplace regions by the end of the week.

vNESLight (free): http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3d8e51b8-1884-4aa7-bb2c-2eda47745a27

vNESLight Pro (paid): http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=11ff7758-04ea-42d9-b012-55f90de82b10

Version 1.0 features - 1-April-2012
    - Completely new and improved controls + portrait support
    - SkyDrive integration
    - Fully featured jump list for all your games
    - Fast and fluent multiple save states system (swipe to change slot)
    - Backup and restore your save states via SkyDrive
    - Pin any game to the start screen
    - Auto detects the best settings for your device
    - Experimental Hardware Keyboard support
    - The demo ROMs of Battle Kid 2 and Super Bat Puncher are included

Method 1 for adding games: (SkyDrive)
    1) Get ROMs, don't ask me where. (use GoodNES branded ROMs if u have issues with invalid files)
    (Optional) zip, or rar all your ROM files to more easily add a batch of games at once.
    2) Login to https://skydrive.live.com/, you can use any Live account u like xbox, hotmail etc.
    3) Upload said zip/rar file or nes games to SkyDrive.
    4) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight, hit sign in to SkyDrive and navigate to your zip/rar or nes file then just tap on it to add the game(s).

Method 2: (via webserver, or direct link from dropbox)
    1) Upload the files to your webserver (or dropbox)
    2) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight and enter the full link into the Url box and hit add. Support for zip, rar and nes files.

As always thanks for all the feedback and testing done.

@nuduaa for updates on twitter.
    getting lag with sound only on Quattro games on nokia lumia 800 and htc mozart using beta 0.6, great work keep it up
    Quattro adventure?, it shouldn't lag on your Lumia 800 /w sound. Unless the game has slowdown like Mega Man 3. I'll check it out tho.

Is Skydrive support in for 1.0 ? I'll have to admit, that would be nice to update a single rom...

I tried Sonic Jewels on my Trophy, it ran perfectly fine but, with out sound, I wont buy it... Oh, it brings back memories, Phantasy Star just epic, I can even remember the sounds, too bad I can't hear them...

yeah I'm missing the sounds when playing Alex Kidd & Wonderboy as well.

As for SkyDrive in 1.0:
    skydrive-vnes-small.png

I've already implemented it and it has the same zip/rar and single file support.
    Hello mate, cool to see somebody making NES emulator that supports everything.

I can offer help in optimalizing the code, if you are interested :)

Sure, once I've put out the beta 2, I'll try to sort out the source code so u can have a look.

edit: beta 2 is now out, I've updated the main post with links etc.
    If you can wait till next week, I'll take a crack at a logo...

Sent from my mwp6985 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
    Sure that would be sweet, I still have some more testing to do before I can release the beta 2. I've also added a way to pin any game to your homescreen as well as autosave.

At LG e900/Optimus7 the fps in smb3 from 28-30 FPS ^^

Cool, the next beta version should be out very soon, lots of improvements.
    How's progress coming ? If you need images, I created some a few pages back for you if you want to use them (controls and back drop of a controller).

I wonder if you could add, for example, when your playing a game, hit the camera button quickly and create a save game (AKA a shortcut of some type). I know if you hold the camera, it will turn it on but, a quick push ?

I don't think you have access to the camera button, but I could be wrong.

I've fixed the web downloader and I'm testing a few things with the controls. Gonna add automatic detection of new roms, so u could add/remove games via an isolated storage file manager before I put out the next beta.

Wish I had one of those new 1.4-1.5Ghz devices.. kinda disappointed some of the new devices are still rocking the 1Ghz CPU, but maybe the new GPU helps some as well.