(OUTDATED) All-in-One, ROOT + manual OTA + Enable Unknown Source+ GAPPS

All-in-One, ROOT + manual OTA + GAPPS (yes/no)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

someone0

May 5, 2010
THIS METHOD IS NO LONGER WORKS as of update version 2.0.5 and higher.
Please visit this thread instead for the current rooting method.
Posting in this thread will get you nowhere, let it RIP.

Proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIaw2RZkguk

Due to the popular demand, and the questions in the last few days. The problem arise from people who were using verygreen version of root. The true is, his version of root works, but what very happens is that he decided to lock down some of the stuff, and thus making further mod become inconvenience for a lot of people. Many people don't know how to fix it. They do not know how to read and interpret the error message and fix it. In a way I think this maybe a better alternative since I believe people who looking to modify their Nook HD/HD+ or root them, what they very after at the minimum is the Google Play store and ability to install any apps they want. While this isn't gonna get you everything, it does most of what people are very after with very little fuss. The main purpose of this thread isn't to have everything working, because we are working around the limitation of what the Nook has, but rather stream line what we already have working and get it there quickly and painlessly from a scratch. So this is mainly to use after the system has been wipe/factory reset.

After I have made this post, I still got someone PM me said it doesn't work. While I'm sure that it does work, I want to be very confident about it. So, I decided to sacrifice my already good setup of my Nook HD+ and FULLY FACTORY RESET it then record this video. Let me make it clear, the file was download from the thread again, and not from my local copy. I'm baffled. I'm just not sure is there is anything easier way it can be done. Seriously just unzip and run 1 command and people still say it doesn't work. The responsibility to read the information is up to you. I don't have the capability to upload those information to your head. Since I already proved that this work, I'll not response to PM regarding this. If you have question or problem, post it on the thread.

Disclaimer:
If something gone wrong, it's all your fault. I take ZERO responsibility for what happen to your device, your life, your wife/husband, your kids, your unborn child and etc. You get the idea.

Breaking News:
It seem the latest update 2.0.5 actually break the root. So, be warned.

Preface:
I didn't discovered the original root on the Nook HD+, verygreen did Nor did I discover the ability to enable install of unknown source. Leapinlar thread has the history on that so I won't go there. But I have created some scripts to help gaining root, modify some critical setting, and adding GAPPS to the Nook HD/HD+, but they are all scattered. Leapinlar has a thread that help gather many of those information together here. Still people are still having trouble. As I stated, I believe what many people are after is just the ability to install any app they want. And this should get very close to their goal. While the end goal is probably something like a custom ROM, something like a CM10 that verygreen is developing; and I believe it will get there. It will probably take a bit more time for the installation process to be easy for people to follow. And there may be something that need to get fix when the very early beta come out. It's like in the Alpha if not pre-Alpha ATM.

While this will get a lot done for you, I still encourage people to go read the original mod threads, there maybe some useful information for you.
1. My original root thread.
2. My original GAPPS thread.
3. I encourage you to read the Nook HD+ Stock Root User Tips from LeapinLar thread, this is like a must read for anyone planning to root their Nook HD/HD+.

Pre-Requisite:
Working ADB that can see Nook HD/HD+ and the Nook HD/HD+ of course(that include enable ADB on the Nook also). If you need help getting drivers and ADB to see Nook, check out LeapinLar thread. ATM, Nook HD/HD+ have 3 firmwares version, 2.0.0, 2.0.2 and 2.0.4. When the get it online it will update automatically. So far all the mods we know of works on all 3. But this doesn't mean it will on future version. Again, LeapinLar thread will have that information as well.

Instruction:

1. Download these three files. allinone.zip GoogleMaps.apk and gapps-ics-system.zip
  2. Unzip allinone.zip (don't unzip gapps-ics-system.zip)
  3. run allinone.bat
  4. after you got google play store, I suggest you to update it first, the run it at least once before installing Google Map by either copy it to Nook and use your favorite file manager to install or using the command
    Code:
    adb install GoogleMaps.apk
Post-Install: (or if you don't see the google apps)
The way apps installed via B&N store are different from other apps install via sideloading or any other app stores, and that include GAPPS as well. What this means is that all these apps won't show up on the stock Nook Launcher naturally. But other launcher will see them w/o any problem. That said, I recommend you pick another launcher from the google app store and use that instead. In order to see those extra apps from the Nook Launcher on the Apps screen, hold the volume up button while you press the "Apps" word at the top of the screen for 2-3 seconds. An "Extras" screen will pop up showing all of the sideloaded apps. Another thing is that the superuser app need one extra nudge. It need to be launch at least once manually before it start working. This only need to be done once.

IMO, while I could just point you to one of the launcher or even sideload it during the installation for you. I prefer not to do that. I very think the choice to choose one should be your own. Personal preference aside, I rather not point you to one because I don't know how safe is it to randomly point people to some random apk when it's not even the real purpose of this. I very prefer people get to the google play store on their own and get it from there. If you don't know one then ask around. Many people here have suggested ADW, Apex, Nova, Zeam. If you want to grab apk to sideload, then you can try androiddrawer, it look rather ok.

PRECAUTION:
All these mods you see the Nook HD & HD+ are workaround. They are not the holy grail. So, for example the superuser checker app won't recognize them. That doesn't mean you don't have root, you do but because it's not a traditional root thus they don't see them. A bigger concern is that because this is a workaround. And it's a workaround because we don't have full control of the Nook, any modification to the files or added files /system and its sub-directories (regardless of whether you do so manually or via app) will result in 8 boot loop followed by a full system wipe. Anything stored on the Nook internal storage will be gone. As such, we encourage you not to use such app. We know of at least SuperSU and many ad removal apps will create such event. For more information I strongly encourage you to read those threads I pointed to earlier.

Footnote:
Google Chrome browser is also not included, it's quite big and the latest version doesn't seem compatible(at least that's what I heard). And the voice search is also not working.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

Basically I'm sick of manually reinstalling everything from scratch every time it bootloop mine. Well, I guess mine bootloop more than some ppl here because I explore mine more. So, would you be interested in seeing a simple all-in-one guide? It's already done, I'm just not sure whether to make another thread or not. Meaning I'll leave those guides I made outdated and rotted. Although I just updated the GAPPS installation to be super simple. The All-in-One will basically be the same thing. You just run 1 command and get all three of them. Since I figured people who root their Nook HD/HD+ will end up want to get GAPPS anyway. If people want it, I'll put a new instruction on this thread instead. The Poll will run for 3 days, and then after the poll close, I'll consider that a majority decision. That or if a mod close this thread for duplicate.

Attachments

• allinone.zip
    2 MB · Views: 9,182
Last edited:

kvnly2

Aug 17, 2008
Basically I'm sick of manually reinstalling everything from scratch every time it bootloop mine. Well, I guess mine bootloop more than some ppl here because I explore mine more. So, would you be interested in seeing a simple all-in-one guide? It's already done, I'm just not sure whether to make another thread or not. Meaning I'll leave those guides I made outdated and rotted. Although I just updated the GAPPS installation to be super simple. The All-in-One will basically be the same thing. You just run 1 command and get all three of them. Since I figured people who root their Nook HD/HD+ will end up want to get GAPPS anyway. If people want it, I'll put a new instruction on this thread instead. The Poll will run for 3 days, and then after the poll close, I'll consider that a majority decision. That or if a mod close this thread for duplicate.

Ooooo yes please!

I have an HD and i cant get adb on it. I got a new computer too and no other android device has been install but when I try to install the drivers provide, they always have the yellow triangle and the only drivers are the BNTV400 ones. I have looked everywhere and cant get it so I can install google play store.

someone0

May 5, 2010
Ooooo yes please!

I have an HD and i cant get adb on it. I got a new computer too and no other android device has been install but when I try to install the drivers provide, they always have the yellow triangle and the only drivers are the BNTV400 ones. I have looked everywhere and cant get it so I can install google play store.
If you are on Windows 7 64bit, check this post.

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
collect all your tips about root ,manual ota and gapps under one thread and do some editing so that people can follow step by step , and figure where the problems lie.

all in one bat file will help advanced users, but for layman, I am afraid it will cause more confusion

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
all in one bat file will help advanced users, but for layman, I am afraid it will cause more confusion

Well, if it works consistently enough there will be nothing for the layperson to get confused about. Only if it leads to troubleshooting would it maybe cause problems (because the person would have no idea what steps were taken).

I say if the process can be further automated, even if it's just (hopefully) a stopgap to more thorough root and ROMs down the road, then by Glob do it!

gerdkr

Feb 10, 2012

Yes please, i like that idea :good:

Moon_Shine

Nov 27, 2012
Yes!
I have ADB & side loading working via Mac OSX, but would love an all in one before taking on this next step as I'm not too good with Terminal commands.

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
Yes please! I'd love a step-by-step to root the device, manual OTA, and GApps! Although, I do still appreciate the work you have done so far, it's amazing! ;D

Thank you very much.

CrispyCritter

Dec 2, 2011
Sounds like a fantastic idea! Please do! And thx again for all you've done for the nook HD community!

Sent from my BNTV600 using xda premium

qryptiq

Sep 10, 2009
I have 2.04 - the installation went well. i've tried and i'm able to get launcher running but cannot get playstore running.

May 10, 2012
Indiana
Ok, am I just messing this up big time or what? When I run the .bat it starts, then it says mkdir failed for /data/su, file exists. Then it tries to do every file saying "cannot stat "whatever" : No such file or directory." Over and over again. Major fail. I've rooted multiple android phones and tablets without these kinds of problems. Am I messing up something simple?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Ok, am I just messing this up big time or what? When I run the .bat it starts, then it says mkdir failed for /data/su, file exists. Then it tries to do every file saying "cannot stat "whatever" : No such file or directory." Over and over again. Major fail. I've rooted multiple android phones and tablets without these kinds of problems. Am I messing up something simple?

If you rooted once before it will give you that cannot mkdir error. You might erase and deregister using the B&N settings, then as soon as you reload and register, run the mod. Only once.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

Reactions: dsiddens and haym

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
Thank you very much for this all-in-one. It's genius!

I've just installed it on my Dad's HD+, and it works like a charm. Damn, it's so amazing! One thing though, rookie question, and I guess I'm asking for too much, but would it be possible to redirect the "Apps" icon on the "desktop" to auto redirect to the Android app-drawer; where the Android apps are located - i.e. Play store? Sorry for the bother, and I understand I am asking for too much, so please ignore my message. ;)

Again, thank you very much for your efforts. Works like a charm. ;)

May 10, 2012
Indiana
I've tried it in the same area and out, although I'm not sure if both were fresh. I'm trying yet again here in the next few minutes. I will get this. I've only owned one android device that I didn't root, and the was the Samsung Intercept. If you've ever heard of that piece of crap, you'll know why I didn't bother.

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Finally! I'd already had the gapps in the folder before but I guess the su file had already been created. A full wipe, followed by proper placement of the files finally worked! I would ask if it is sad to feel so good about such a simple achievement, but I don't care. It finally worked! Thanks to someone0 for the all-in-one and leapinlar for the advice.

Reactions: dsiddens

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS METHOD IS NO LONGER WORKS as of update version 2.0.5 and higher.
    Please visit this thread instead for the current rooting method.
    Posting in this thread will get you nowhere, let it RIP.

Proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIaw2RZkguk

Due to the popular demand, and the questions in the last few days. The problem arise from people who were using verygreen version of root. The true is, his version of root works, but what very happens is that he decided to lock down some of the stuff, and thus making further mod become inconvenience for a lot of people. Many people don't know how to fix it. They do not know how to read and interpret the error message and fix it. In a way I think this maybe a better alternative since I believe people who looking to modify their Nook HD/HD+ or root them, what they very after at the minimum is the Google Play store and ability to install any apps they want. While this isn't gonna get you everything, it does most of what people are very after with very little fuss. The main purpose of this thread isn't to have everything working, because we are working around the limitation of what the Nook has, but rather stream line what we already have working and get it there quickly and painlessly from a scratch. So this is mainly to use after the system has been wipe/factory reset.

After I have made this post, I still got someone PM me said it doesn't work. While I'm sure that it does work, I want to be very confident about it. So, I decided to sacrifice my already good setup of my Nook HD+ and FULLY FACTORY RESET it then record this video. Let me make it clear, the file was download from the thread again, and not from my local copy. I'm baffled. I'm just not sure is there is anything easier way it can be done. Seriously just unzip and run 1 command and people still say it doesn't work. The responsibility to read the information is up to you. I don't have the capability to upload those information to your head. Since I already proved that this work, I'll not response to PM regarding this. If you have question or problem, post it on the thread.

Disclaimer:
    If something gone wrong, it's all your fault. I take ZERO responsibility for what happen to your device, your life, your wife/husband, your kids, your unborn child and etc. You get the idea.

Breaking News:
    It seem the latest update 2.0.5 actually break the root. So, be warned.

Preface:
    I didn't discovered the original root on the Nook HD+, verygreen did Nor did I discover the ability to enable install of unknown source. Leapinlar thread has the history on that so I won't go there. But I have created some scripts to help gaining root, modify some critical setting, and adding GAPPS to the Nook HD/HD+, but they are all scattered. Leapinlar has a thread that help gather many of those information together here. Still people are still having trouble. As I stated, I believe what many people are after is just the ability to install any app they want. And this should get very close to their goal. While the end goal is probably something like a custom ROM, something like a CM10 that verygreen is developing; and I believe it will get there. It will probably take a bit more time for the installation process to be easy for people to follow. And there may be something that need to get fix when the very early beta come out. It's like in the Alpha if not pre-Alpha ATM.

While this will get a lot done for you, I still encourage people to go read the original mod threads, there maybe some useful information for you.
    1. My original root thread.
    2. My original GAPPS thread.
    3. I encourage you to read the Nook HD+ Stock Root User Tips from LeapinLar thread, this is like a must read for anyone planning to root their Nook HD/HD+.

Pre-Requisite:
    Working ADB that can see Nook HD/HD+ and the Nook HD/HD+ of course(that include enable ADB on the Nook also). If you need help getting drivers and ADB to see Nook, check out LeapinLar thread. ATM, Nook HD/HD+ have 3 firmwares version, 2.0.0, 2.0.2 and 2.0.4. When the get it online it will update automatically. So far all the mods we know of works on all 3. But this doesn't mean it will on future version. Again, LeapinLar thread will have that information as well.

Instruction:

1. Download these three files. allinone.zip GoogleMaps.apk and gapps-ics-system.zip
    2. Unzip allinone.zip (don't unzip gapps-ics-system.zip)
    3. run allinone.bat
    4. after you got google play store, I suggest you to update it first, the run it at least once before installing Google Map by either copy it to Nook and use your favorite file manager to install or using the command
      Code:
      adb install GoogleMaps.apk
    Post-Install: (or if you don't see the google apps)
    The way apps installed via B&N store are different from other apps install via sideloading or any other app stores, and that include GAPPS as well. What this means is that all these apps won't show up on the stock Nook Launcher naturally. But other launcher will see them w/o any problem. That said, I recommend you pick another launcher from the google app store and use that instead. In order to see those extra apps from the Nook Launcher on the Apps screen, hold the volume up button while you press the "Apps" word at the top of the screen for 2-3 seconds. An "Extras" screen will pop up showing all of the sideloaded apps. Another thing is that the superuser app need one extra nudge. It need to be launch at least once manually before it start working. This only need to be done once.

IMO, while I could just point you to one of the launcher or even sideload it during the installation for you. I prefer not to do that. I very think the choice to choose one should be your own. Personal preference aside, I rather not point you to one because I don't know how safe is it to randomly point people to some random apk when it's not even the real purpose of this. I very prefer people get to the google play store on their own and get it from there. If you don't know one then ask around. Many people here have suggested ADW, Apex, Nova, Zeam. If you want to grab apk to sideload, then you can try androiddrawer, it look rather ok.

PRECAUTION:
    All these mods you see the Nook HD & HD+ are workaround. They are not the holy grail. So, for example the superuser checker app won't recognize them. That doesn't mean you don't have root, you do but because it's not a traditional root thus they don't see them. A bigger concern is that because this is a workaround. And it's a workaround because we don't have full control of the Nook, any modification to the files or added files /system and its sub-directories (regardless of whether you do so manually or via app) will result in 8 boot loop followed by a full system wipe. Anything stored on the Nook internal storage will be gone. As such, we encourage you not to use such app. We know of at least SuperSU and many ad removal apps will create such event. For more information I strongly encourage you to read those threads I pointed to earlier.

Footnote:
    Google Chrome browser is also not included, it's quite big and the latest version doesn't seem compatible(at least that's what I heard). And the voice search is also not working.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

Did a full reset on my HD+. No longer shows the mkdir failed part, everything else still says no such file or directory.

Did you download that gapps-ics-system.zip file and put it in the same folder you are running the allinone bat file from?

If you rooted once before it will give you that cannot mkdir error. You might erase and deregister using the B&N settings, then as soon as you reload and register, run the mod. Only once.

I have a Nook HD, which I rooted using the All-In-One method when it was at 2.0.4. This worked fine, and I was able to install apps from the Google Play Store and the Amazon Appstore, and also using ADB from my Windows 7 PC.

Then I got upgraded to 2.0.5 and found like everyone else that my Nook was no longer rooted - confirmed by Root Checker Pro and Titanium Backup.

However, I was surprised to find that I can still install from ADB and the Google and Amazon stores. Is this a difference between the HD and the HD+?

Given that I can still do almost everything I want to do, I'm wondering if it's worth resetting to 2.0.0 and re-rooting. I might just wait until CM10 on SD is available for the HD. What do you think?

Phil Gardner

You don't need root to do those things, so you can leave it that way if you want. But if you want root back, I have an easy solution in my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

And cm10 is available for the HD now.

Sent from my HD+ rooted stock using Tapatalk
    I got mine two days ago, it auto updated to 2.0.5.

I reset 8 times, got it back to 2.0, skipped Oobe, ran someone0's allinone and everything seems fine so far.

My question is: Can you rename your profile from "TEST" and/or can you cancel the persistent "your library is syncing" notification? In addition to that Device Owner is "unknown", etc.

No, you are stuck with the name test and unknown owner. If you want your own name on it, reset again, let it update to 2.0.5, register and use my CWM and zips to root and install gapps. Look at my CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk