[Nook Simple Touch][FW1.2.1] Kernel with Two Point Touch Mod for Download

Search This thread

waynesi

Aug 15, 2012
Hi all,

Thanks to the huge discount on Nook Simple Touch earlier this month in UK, hopefully the device will regain some popularity and draw more attention from the XDA community. Unfortunately all the new devices come with firmware v1.2.0 while most posts in the forum were for the outdated v1.1.x, including the brilliant multitouch mod from wheilitjohnny. I know there is a way to downgrade to v1.1.x but I still prefer v1.2.1 after I tried v1.1.0. So I decided to port wheilitjohnny's mod to v1.2.1. After one week's hard work as I'm a newbie to the Linux world, I finally built the kernel and saw no more boot loop. All the multitouch test tools from Market correctly reported up to 2 fingers.

Before put the kernel to your device, make sure it's already running 1.2.1 firmware and rooted. You can find the link to the official upgrade file in the forum and you can use Nook Manager to root your device which is also available in the forum.

Then please found the kernel attached as zip file. You need to unzip the file and follow arkusuma's post on how to install it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24168019#post24168019

All credits go to wheilitjohnny. It's all his work.

One lesson I learned for all the developers who may be interested in more mod development is, to make a bootable kernel you MUST use toolchain from "http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/release1293". Select the IA32 GNU/Linux TAR one (MD5: c6930d14801b4fab6705d72df013e58b). Any other toolchains including Google's own or even another version from codesourcery won't work. The generated kernel built with any other toolchains will only cause boot loop.

[UPDATE] Oh forgot to say, you need to add one more line to your /etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml on your device. You should be able to find the first line already in the file, just add the second line.

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

More info please check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1563645

Attachments

• uImage.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 483
Last edited:

helpme

Feb 2, 2006
Thx. Does this kernel works for both Nook Simple Touch and the Glow light model?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

p42

May 12, 2013
Manchester
www.treblig.org
Hi all,

One lesson I learned for all the developers who may be interested in more mod development is, to make a bootable kernel you MUST use toolchain from "http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/release1293". Select the IA32 GNU/Linux TAR one (MD5: c6930d14801b4fab6705d72df013e58b). Any other toolchains including Google's own or even another version from codesourcery won't work. The generated kernel built with any other toolchains will only cause boot loop.

I've had good success with the toolchain on Ubuntu; just install the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi packages, and add the Makefile and head.S changes that were in the fastmode2 patch; I've not tried building this touch mod, but it has let me build my own kernels with usb host and with TLS support.

helpme

Feb 2, 2006
I can confirm that this kernel works on a NST with Glowlight on FW. 1.2.1 :) Thanks for the hard work.

garvanat

Oct 14, 2012
Can I use this kernel for 2 fingers zoom in? I tried it with aldiko, but do not work with pdf.

Last edited:

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Yes. I have NoRefresh_Debug2 and Fast Mode mod running together with this kernel. No problem so far.

Fast Mode don't works on my NST fw 1.2.1. What app exactly are you using to activated the fastmode?
update: this kernel don't have / sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode so fastmode is not possible

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Step one, use noogie and do a full backup of your Nook.
It should be almost 2GB file size.

Using noogie, copy uRamdisk.
Use bootutil.exe (in signature):
Code:
bootutil /x /v uRamdisk init.rc
[i]edit init.rc[/i]
bootuil /r /v uRamdisk init.rc

The line you edit out (with a number sign) is
Code:
[color=red]#[/color]    setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
(uncomment this line to go back to using WiFi ADB)

Copy uRamdisk back to the Nook.

Reboot your Nook.

Read up about getting the ADB drivers working on your desktop here:
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/BN_Nook_Simple_Touch/Installing_ADB

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
This thread is old, I know, but hopefully someone will spot this. So I took the plunge and installed Multi-Touch (running FW 1.21 and rooted). I followed the instructions for the ADB wireless method and also changed the required_hardware.xml file, resetting the permissions of the edited file to match those of the original.

Nothing is different? My original hope was that the pinch-zoom function in Dolphin 10.2.6 might work with this mod. It doesn't seem to work on either Android or Desktop settings in that browser. I can't see that it works anywhere. Maybe I need to reinstall Opera Mobile and test it there?

O.K., I just reinstalled Opera Mobile. No effect at all that I can discern.

Hmm....I am underclocking with No-frills CPU Control to 300 MHz. Is that the problem? Nope....changed back to 800 MHz and no effect.

So...what am I missing? Is there something I can check to be sure I did the ADB thing correctly (after I'm done using the "shell" do I just close it down or is there some closing command I should have used?). Does this mod have to be used in conjunction with something else?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
I usually jump out of an ADB shell with ^C

There's an interim release of UsbMode-1.7a.apk in the signature.
If you touch the left 3/4 of the screen it will report touch coordinates.
It will indicate multiple touches.
That's the easiest way to see how many simultaneous touches your device supports.
My Nook: 2, my Kyocera: 4, my ZTE: 5

Attachments

• two.png
    two.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 90

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I installed a multi-touch test app from the Market and it showed that two fingers were recognized (no more), although the recognition was somewhat spotty.

I've been fussing around with it and sure enough it has begun to work with Opera Mobile, both at 800 MHz and 300 MHz (no discernible difference there). It also works very well with Perfect Viewer. It does not work with Google News and Weather (which really needs it), at least not the version that came with NookManager rooting.

Alas, it does not work with Dolphin, which was my main impetus for trying this. I've got Dolphin to the point where it is much more reliable than Opera Mobile but the only way to zoom is via a gesture which requires going to a blank screen, drawing the gesture and then returning to the current page. It makes one want to draw gestures that are not found in children's books. Although Dolphin claims pinch-to-zoom, it doesn't seem to work with the NST, at least not this version of Dolphin. Maybe I need to delve back into the past versions (which will probably be less stable in other respects...).

Well, anyway it works. I'll have to see if it affects the battery life in any significant way (I read on my Nook, too!). If not, I may as well keep it although its utility to me is limited.

Now to look at "no-refresh"......

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Yes, I forgot to mention Google Maps (I was using "Places" but it amounts to the same thing). That works with multi-touch as well. I also noticed that to some extent multi-touch zooming in Opera Mobile is web-site dependent. For example, it does not seem to work at all on Wikipedia but worked OK on some other sites I tried. I just wish it would work in Dolphin :(

I just tried it with Orion Viewer (which I like for PDFs) and it also works there. It seemed to want to work with Kingsoft Office on the same PDF file but then the app crashed. There are other ways to magnify in both, of course.

I finally tried NoRefresh, and while it worked, I was left wondering what it is for other than as a "we can do this" feature. Lots of flickering while it made up its mind as a white-listed app was launched and then the image degradation thing. After I exited the app my screen was such a mess I had to reboot. I guess I'm used to the way the e-ink display sort of tears when scrolling (or even zooming now, for that matter). The NoRefresh just doesn't seem to give me anything I want. I have not tried FastMode. As I currently underclock to 300 MHz I am reluctant to overclock the Nook just so it will (sort of) work like something it is not and run down the battery really fast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Thanks to the huge discount on Nook Simple Touch earlier this month in UK, hopefully the device will regain some popularity and draw more attention from the XDA community. Unfortunately all the new devices come with firmware v1.2.0 while most posts in the forum were for the outdated v1.1.x, including the brilliant multitouch mod from wheilitjohnny. I know there is a way to downgrade to v1.1.x but I still prefer v1.2.1 after I tried v1.1.0. So I decided to port wheilitjohnny's mod to v1.2.1. After one week's hard work as I'm a newbie to the Linux world, I finally built the kernel and saw no more boot loop. All the multitouch test tools from Market correctly reported up to 2 fingers.

Before put the kernel to your device, make sure it's already running 1.2.1 firmware and rooted. You can find the link to the official upgrade file in the forum and you can use Nook Manager to root your device which is also available in the forum.

Then please found the kernel attached as zip file. You need to unzip the file and follow arkusuma's post on how to install it.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24168019#post24168019

All credits go to wheilitjohnny. It's all his work.

[UPDATE] Oh forgot to say, you need to add one more line to your /etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml on your device. You should be able to find the first line already in the file, just add the second line.

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

More info please check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1563645
    Does this kernel work with NoRefresh (I assume debug2 version for FW 1.2.x)?

Yes. I have NoRefresh_Debug2 and Fast Mode mod running together with this kernel. No problem so far.