Tab pro 8.4 WiFi issues??

Search This thread

manigault

Jun 27, 2012
Ohio
Samsung Galaxy S21
The two devices to which I can compare the wifi performance are a nexus 7 flo and an Lg G2. It seems that areas in my house where I normally get decent signal strength with the other two devices I am barely connected with the tab pro. Is anyone else getting poor wifi performance with this tablet? Maybe I just need to move my surfboard to the center of my house?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Austrian Monkey

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Yes very poor... I had the nexus 7 and a note 3 both perfect in my room. This drops and goes from 3 to 0.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

manigault

Jun 27, 2012
Ohio
Samsung Galaxy S21
I'm hoping that once some developers, hopefully, jump on this device wifi will be one of the issues resolved. Here's hoping it's not hardware related. It's really my only complaint about the device.

manigault

Jun 27, 2012
Ohio
Samsung Galaxy S21
So i did some looking around on ye olde interwebs today. There is nothing mentioned anywhere yet concerning this(probably way too early) . I may call Bestbuy tomorrow and ask if they've had any calls/questions/returns related to this.

bckrupps

Sep 24, 2010
my wifi has been outstanding. actually better then my gtab was. full bars still on the second floor streaming hulu.

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Yea not so much don't even have it in a case and I get like 2 bars where my phone is full bars

manigault

Jun 27, 2012
Ohio
Samsung Galaxy S21
So I downloaded Wifi signal strength from the play store. Sitting in the same spot, the signal dbm and linkspeed are reading roughly the same as my G2. Data download speeds on the G2, though, are reading about twice what the tab is seeing. Can anyone explain this? G2 is reading around - 82 to - 86 dbm and tab around - 79 to - 82 dbm.

thundrbird1

Jul 15, 2007
I just got the Tab Pro 8.4 yesterday and I too am getting very poor connection. I was going to return my Nexus 7 2013 today but I'm having second thoughts now. I love the screen real estate on the Tab Pro but unless I'm in the same room where the router is at I get horrible connection. Both devices running 4.4 but the Nexus 7 has no connection issues. Tried every possible fix to no avail :(. Other than that I have absolutely NO complaints about this tablet. From screen resolution to performance, this Tab Pro rocks!!!!!!

Last edited:

TheSurgeon

May 14, 2012
No WI-FI issues at all

Hello. Iv'e had my tab pro 8.4 2 weeks now absolutely no wi- fi issues at all great signal anywhere in house and outside too.
I have 2 netgear 6300 routers one is used for main network and the other is used as a bridge switch and I have a motorola cable modem which I own system combination works great. My netgear 6300 routers are a,b,g,n and ac if you know what that is.The Samsung Tab Pro .4 is also a,b,g,n and AC capable many other brand tablets are not AC capable I hope you know what AC is.

I suggest you buy some better routers and a seperate modem. Then you will probably have much better wi-fi reception. If you have a modem router combination build in one unit throw it away it will never give you the wi-fi reception you expect unless you are right next to it.

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
I just got the Tab Pro 8.4 yesterday and I too am getting very poor connection. I was going to return my Nexus 7 2013 today but I'm having second thoughts now. I love the screen real estate on the Tab Pro but unless I'm in the same room where the router is at I get horrible connection. Both devices running 4.4 but the Nexus 7 has no connection issues. Tried every possible fix to no avail :(. Other than that I have absolutely NO complaints about this tablet. From screen resolution to performance, this Tab Pro rocks!!!!!!

I know a lot about WiFi and it has nothing to do with my equipment. I have an airport extreme new version and also a Linksys bridged upstairs through a power line Ethernet kit. All my devices are fine except this one. Not saying the speed is slow just low signal where other devices are full..... The speed is fine just weak signal

Caelrie

Aug 31, 2013
I know a lot about WiFi and it has nothing to do with my equipment. I have an airport extreme new version and also a Linksys bridged upstairs through a power line Ethernet kit. All my devices are fine except this one. Not saying the speed is slow just low signal where other devices are full..... The speed is fine just weak signal

Take it back and exchange it, see if a new one has the same problem.

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR

In my extensive history with Samsung devices, some will show more/less bars than others. But they will achieve the same or similar up/down speeds when tested. A while back I read a post (I think it was on the Sprint S4) by an electrical engineer who actually ran some tests on two devices side by side. IIRC, the result was the devices were receiving the same amount of signal, but one of them showed less bars.

So if you're not noticing lower speeds, it's likely that this device has a higher threshold for showing signal strength in bars.

Last edited:

ilatimer1

Jan 29, 2014
I've discovered something interesting about the WiFI issues. I too had problems with the WiFi on my Tab Pro 8.4. Most of the time when I woke it up the WiFi would not work and I had to turn it off and on again. Over the weekend I purchased a new Airport Extreme to replace my older one and no I do not have this problem anymore. I am not connected via AC instead of A/B/G or N. I just thought it was interesting.

thornev

Feb 3, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
I have a Galaxy S4 and the Tab Pro 8.4 wifi signal in the same house locations is far weaker. I don't get any signal in house locations where my S4 is fine.

h_zee13

Dec 31, 2009
Montreal
Mine is fine until I hold it from the bottom left corner. I lose close to 18 dBm by holding it from there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JonasDroid

Apr 12, 2010
I have done some tests using 2 different acces points. (on 6 different locations with variable coverage) (each time 5 tests and took the average)
I compared my S3 with the tab pro and the resulst were very close. (3dBm at most)

I haven't really been paying attention to it before, but for as far as I know wifi is fine here.

BTW: Left bottom corner doesn't make any difference for me.

h_zee13

Dec 31, 2009
Montreal
So a little update. I went and replaced mine and the new unit has the exact same issue.

I live in Canada and we only have the white one available here. Don't know if that makes a difference

thundrbird1

Jul 15, 2007
UPdate:

I was going to go back to the NEXUS 7 because of the wifi issues but man this tablet is amazing!! So I decided to return it for another device and I guess I must have gotten a lemon for the first one(Which for me, Samsung has always been great), because I have no wifi issues at all :). This tablet is by far the best one I've owned, from performance to especially screen resolution!!!

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
I had my Kindle fire hdx 8.9 and my LG Optimus g pro phone along with the tab pro 8.9 at the hospital and the tab pro could not connect due to signal strenth. Both my phone and the Kindle had no trouble what so ever and happily played Netflix and browsed the web. I am also having an issue where the tab pro disconnects from my wifi and reconnects every so often even in the middle of my using it for games or browsing. Intolerable behavior from a premium tablet.

crandallbk

Dec 18, 2010
So a little update. I went and replaced mine and the new unit has the exact same issue.

I live in Canada and we only have the white one available here. Don't know if that makes a difference

I have a black 8.4, and I can second your -15 dbm when I hold the bottom left corner. I loaded wifi fixer and can watch the difference...One room away from my router and typically run -53 dbm, but when I hold the tab with my palm covering the bottom corner, I am around -68dbm. Hmmm.... other than that, and coming from the 7.7, I love this tab.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Fix!

MY FIX.....

Never had range issues like some have notice, but my speed was always down 25% to 40% on both my and wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Decided to do a hard boot on both my modem and router so everything was reset to defalt on the WRT54GS Linksys G router. Using Time Warner cable Cisco router. (turbo plan).

I am happy to report that speed is now the same on both 8.4's and matches my laptop and other devices in speed...the noticeable lag on packets is also gone when using speedtest.net

BEFORE: Download: 15.23 to 11.16 AFTER: 18.88 to 22.65
    BEFORE: Upload: 1.34 to 2.02 AFTER: 2.95 to 3.31

So if you have a speed issue I highly recommend that you do a hard boot on both your modem and router before replacing anything! On Linksys G router all you need to do is with the router powered on push in the reset button for about 10 seconds until the front WLAN starts flashing then release it...then turn off the router for about 30 seconds and turn back on. Do the same for the Modem as there is a reset button on it as well...You will then need to reset your security by logging into your router and enter 192.168.1.1 as the web address. Your defalt user/password is: admin Make sure you change both it and the "Administration" password as anyone can get in there and change your settings. While you are in Administration screen make sure you click the "Enable" Wireless Access Web as the defalt is Disabled! Next, In the Wireless setting screen use the higher security WPA2 Personal setting and enter your new or old "WPA Shared Key" as this is the ID you will need to change on all your devices to log on to your internet. You may need to reboot your windows computers and reset new home connections, did not have to do this on the tablets.

Hope this helps some of you!

KC
    The two devices to which I can compare the wifi performance are a nexus 7 flo and an Lg G2. It seems that areas in my house where I normally get decent signal strength with the other two devices I am barely connected with the tab pro. Is anyone else getting poor wifi performance with this tablet? Maybe I just need to move my surfboard to the center of my house?

After factory reset wifi issue is gone. I thk it might of started cause of some of the bloat that I turned off

I am getting 15-20dbm better signal when turn tablet to landscape and not touching left bottom corner as WIFI antenna seems to be below left speaker
    Check attachment

This is just a workaround not a solution. I hope Samsung will provide a fix for this.
    I was so enthusiastic about buying this tablet but I see that there are so many issue: wifi, sound and even screen sensibility.
    The Tab pro 8.4 is supposed to be a high-end tab. What have you done Samsung :mad: ?!
    Bluetooth major issue with Wifi

I noticed That if bluetooth is off the wifi is more stable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

I completely agree. I wonder if some of you are experiencing the bluetooth/wifi conflict. For instance, I like to use a bluetooth speaker to listen to music or maybe watch youtube videos since it's much better than the stock tab speakers. I can watch youtube perfectly fine w/o the speaker synced but once I sync it my video starts to buffer constantly. Sometimes a small notification pops up saying that it connected to my home wifi (even if it already was).

Although far from scientific, I did a few runs of speedtest under different scenarios. There was a clear dip in DL speeds when I was playing music through my BT speaker. Music through just the tablet's speaker did not hinder the connection at all. (screenshot attached).

RUNS:
    1 - BT OFF
    2 - BT ON
    3 - BT ON AND PLAYING
    4 - BT OFF AND PLAYING
    5 - BT ON AGAIN AND PLAYING