[Q] Flash Stock ROM and keep ROOT

Search This thread

Wezi

Dec 9, 2011
Hi, ok, so i'm on CM11 currently and was thinking of flashing a stock rom, but keeping my root and recovery intact; whats the best away of doing this, any ideas?

From what i've gathered i have the following options;

• DL and flash stock rom direct from google, reroot and re install recovery (i used wugs toolkit first time round; but i'd rather avoid having to reroot and re-install the recovery if i can)
  • Flash one of the currently rooted roms in Android Development (this is likely going to be the 'root' i go down; why would i need to flash the radio and or bootloader update???)

I'm just making sure i'm not making this more complicated than it needs to be; that is to say, make sure there isn't an easier method. :)

p.s. The reason behind using stock rooted rom is simple, i was using Xposed Frameworks and came across Gravity Box, the number of options on it are mind boggling, and i feel it gives me greater control over my phone.

Last edited:

Wezi

Dec 9, 2011
Either way will work. Personally I'd flash the factory image and then re-root, but that's just me. If you go that route use this instead of wugs
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47025283
Sent from my Nexus 5

easiest?

Flash factory image
start android....enable USB debugging
Fastboot flash custom recovery
xfer and flash SU zip
reboot

Even easier is that you do not need to enable debugging in order to fastboot flash recovery or push via adb in recovery...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thanks all, your advice is appreciated; jd, I'll give that link a shot

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I'm in a rush to go somewhere, I very well know 2 ways to go: 1st avenue which takes 20 minutes and 2nd avenue that takes 25 minutes. Both ways are safe to go. Why should I spend 30 minutes analyzing the map to see which is faster and/or looking for a 3rd way if the time will be spent anyways:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Wezi

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
why not just factory reset and flash a deodexed stock ROM with SuperSU included, there are plenty hanging around development.

Is their literally a step by step to flash back to stock ? Mistah seems like your way is fairly simple ? Is there a guide to that anywhere ?

I have a GS3 (SGH i747) on CM11 and just want to be able to use MHL / HDMI.. Which the CM currently does not support.. Dont really want to go back to stock but I need MHL to work and I'm not sure any other way ?

Is there another ROM I can flash that supports it MHL that is decent ? If not, I dont know exactly how to get it back to stock if someone can help ..

Thanks.

Last edited:

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Is their literally a step by step to flash back to stock ? I have a GS3 (SGH i747) on CM11 and just want to be able to use MHL / HDMI.. Which the CM currently does not support.. Dont really want to go back to stock but I need MHL to work and I'm not sure any other way ?

I dont know exactly how to get it back to stock.. Thanks.

You are in the wrong forums

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: mistahseller

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'm just asking about method itself as I cannot find in SG3 or any where.. I understand I am in Nexus 5 ? if nobody wants to answer that's fine.

There are return to stock guides in all the s3 forums here. Essentially you'll be flashing the official .tar via odin.

If you cant find the guides, ask there not here. This phone is completely different. Your method is not the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mistahseller

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Either way will work. Personally I'd flash the factory image and then re-root, but that's just me. If you go that route use this instead of wugs
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47025283
    Sent from my Nexus 5
    easiest?

Flash factory image
    xfer and flash SU zip
    reboot

Even easier is that you do not need to enable debugging in order to fastboot flash recovery or push via adb in recovery...

Sent from my Nexus 5
    easiest?

Flash factory image
    xfer and flash SU zip
    reboot
    I'm in a rush to go somewhere, I very well know 2 ways to go: 1st avenue which takes 20 minutes and 2nd avenue that takes 25 minutes. Both ways are safe to go. Why should I spend 30 minutes analyzing the map to see which is faster and/or looking for a 3rd way if the time will be spent anyways:confused:
    Is their literally a step by step to flash back to stock ? I have a GS3 (SGH i747) on CM11 and just want to be able to use MHL / HDMI.. Which the CM currently does not support.. Dont really want to go back to stock but I need MHL to work and I'm not sure any other way ?

I dont know exactly how to get it back to stock.. Thanks.

You are in the wrong forums

Sent from my Nexus 5