Home-made 128 GB micro-SD

Search This thread

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
Hello All,
here is a little mod to add a 128 GB sdcard in the galaxy note 2 microSD slot...
It's derived from my original mod, that was much more thick, ugly, and phone warranty killer =>
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356754
This mod won't work directly on the galaxy note 2, unless I destroy the NFC module that is covering the microSD slot.
So I decided to go another way :
I kept only the microSD adapter, soldered some Kynar wire on it, and soldered it directly to my 128 GB LEXAR SDcard, that I stripped down a little too, for this mod to be as thin as possible... as you can see on the pics, the wire and the soldering on the microSD side are englued with Thermal glue to add resistance when manipulating. I added tape also to protect the circuit of the SDcard.
I shaped the wire this way so the SDcard rest in the middle of the battery, so the bulge is almost invisible when the case is back on !
The card is FAT32 formatted, so no problem on compatibility, and I don't have files bigger than 4GB, so no problem for me !
That's it, no more, no less, and it works like a charm !
PC210004.jpg PC210002.jpg

PC210001.jpg

Boujou bien,
K.

baileyjr

Aug 21, 2012
Cardiff
Nice mod. There has got to be a demand for this kind of thing. If only you could market a pre-modded adaptor you'd make a fortune.

Unfortunitely me and soldering irons dont mix well, so I'll just have to wait until the 128gig micro SD cards are availiable :eek:

edit I found a couple of possible ready made solutions, but theu might not be long enough or be too bulky.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11922

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001

looks like this guy has done the mod in the original galaxy note.

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001/309656

Last edited:

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
mrcptguy :
Follow the link on the first post, this is my first version, with details of what/where.

Tubgirl :
Dunno for exFAT, if your phone handles it, shure, but it's not recognized in linux : microsoft property, specs are not open...
So I haven't tried it.

I tried to directly use an old micro SD card just for it's connectors, but it's impossible to drill it without breaking it... it's silicon after all !
After that, I tried to mold a fake micro by melting plastic, But I can't figure how to fix the metal plates on it with enough precision so it matches the connector inside the phone !

Boujou bien,
K.

stesteste

Apr 12, 2011
i ordered the adapter if i remove my nfc chip from one of my backs will the sd card fit in thanks

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
i ordered the adapter if i remove my nfc chip from one of my backs will the sd card fit in thanks

Hello, if you are planning to use the entire SDcard adaptor, then no, no matter what you do, it won't fit under a normal backplate. Look at my first mod for an NOTE 1, it is way too thick ! :silly:
If you are planning to drill through your back plate, then you might be able to fix the adaptor to the outside of it, but because of the different placement of the microSD slot between the note 1 and the 2, you'll have to bend the ribbon cable in a weird way ( a U shape).
Anyway, if you are planning to keep the adaptor's integrity, and the original backplate, you'll end up with something even more ugly and less usable as my first mod...:eek:
I scratched my head for a long time to figure out how to implement the mod correctly, and only fund the hard-wiring way to be doable.

Now IF you can find a back plate for huge batteries, then that would be another story ! :cool:

Good luck,
boujou bien,
K.

scottmog

Jun 6, 2007
that is freaking sweet, you could pull the shell of the card and replace it with tape for a much slimmer card correct?

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
that is freaking sweet, you could pull the shell of the card and replace it with tape for a much slimmer card correct?

That's what I partially did, I left a piece of the shell, because the pcb of the SDcard is so thin, that it's really flimsy ! but if you plan to stick and never touch it again, that could be ok.
remember that the solder will face the battery, so to avoid it to rub against it and maybe damage it, be sure that the pressure is correctly distributed, I left a piece of the shell for it.

Boujou bien,
K

MafestoPresents

May 24, 2010
this is awesome... great soldering job!... but i noticed in the pic that you left one pin un soldered... any reason why? is it specific?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

stesteste

Apr 12, 2011
i wonder if i can get a block of wood the same size of the sd card and hammer lighty round it on back case mybe it might mould it out abit for card to fit,,any more suggestions

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,
    here is a little mod to add a 128 GB sdcard in the galaxy note 2 microSD slot...
    It's derived from my original mod, that was much more thick, ugly, and phone warranty killer =>
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356754
    This mod won't work directly on the galaxy note 2, unless I destroy the NFC module that is covering the microSD slot.
    So I decided to go another way :
    I kept only the microSD adapter, soldered some Kynar wire on it, and soldered it directly to my 128 GB LEXAR SDcard, that I stripped down a little too, for this mod to be as thin as possible... as you can see on the pics, the wire and the soldering on the microSD side are englued with Thermal glue to add resistance when manipulating. I added tape also to protect the circuit of the SDcard.
    I shaped the wire this way so the SDcard rest in the middle of the battery, so the bulge is almost invisible when the case is back on !
    The card is FAT32 formatted, so no problem on compatibility, and I don't have files bigger than 4GB, so no problem for me !
    That's it, no more, no less, and it works like a charm !
    PC210004.jpg PC210002.jpg

PC210001.jpg

Boujou bien,
    K.
    Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?

Here are some pics

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
    gemera2a.jpg

My battery cover fits and snaps on all corners but it bulges in a couple spots. It still fits perfectly in my Seidio Active case, so I'm a very happy camper. Now if I can just get my iBolt car dock running usb audio out I have 600+ music albums in V0 variable bit rate just waiting to pulse through my car speakers. From here on out, I will not purchase a phone with less than 128gb of memory. :D
    Sent from my GIANT internet thingy.
    Finally some pics. I put mine higher than the battery to make room for a qi wireless charging receiver and as such you can see my battery cover has a hard time closing up top. Doesn't matter to me as I use a seidio surface case and everything is great!
    ha2eja5a.jpg

ynu5umet.jpg

Sent from my GIANT internet thingy.
    Where can I get the adaptor? I think I might try this, I cut my otter box down the 2nd day after buying it, I now run a 6500mah extended battery inside with virtually no added thickness.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?