[Tutorial] [UNLOCK/ROOT] EVO 3D GSM Hboot 1.49.0011> + S-On [HTC Unlock method]

Search This thread

monx®

Jan 3, 2006
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █
Red Magic 6S Pro
Is simply straight forward. I have to create new thread bcoz i can see many frens asking about this in various thread.

Unlock (HTC Method may void warranty, i dont care :p) + CWM = Can flash any custom rom :)

[1] register @ htcdev [dot] com
[2] just follow on-screen instruction until successfully boot with unlocked bootloader

now the important part : (u can use4EXT Recovery Touch (the best. recommended) or Revolutionary custom CWM recovery image)

[3a] 4EXT Recovery Touch (THE BEST) See HERE for more info.

[3b] Revolutionary CWM
(i) download Revolutionary shutteru CWM recovery from here
(ii) reboot device in bootloader mode > fastboot > plug in usb cable until u see FASTBOOT USB on device screen
(iii) now in adb type : fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img
(iv) Done.

[4] To root stock rom,
(i) download Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and copy to sdcard
(ii) reboot to recovery mode
(iii) select install zip frm sdcard > choose zip frm sdcard > select zip file as in (i) step above > proceed to flash.

Now device is Bootloader Unlocked + CWM recovery + S-ON & ready to flash custom rom.

Last edited:

Ryva

Mar 14, 2010
OK, I got mine working. Weird thing was the first time I tried to install su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip, I got an error (Status 0, I believe.. no idea what that means). Re-locked my phone, and unlocked it again and the second time around, it installs just fine.

Now, I can finally use Market Enabler! :D

erikwervo

Sep 27, 2008
Jakarta
OK, I got mine working. Weird thing was the first time I tried to install su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip, I got an error (Status 0, I believe.. no idea what that means). Re-locked my phone, and unlocked it again and the second time around, it installs just fine.

Now, I can finally use Market Enabler! :D

Yes u can do it that way or for those having problem with the given superuser zip, you can use the superuser easy root by kamma from here

cmloo

Dec 8, 2006
Hi Monx...

Happy to see you here at the Evo 3D side.
Thanks for the instructions.

Was wondering if there was any way to get S-OFF using th HTC Unlock Method?

All the custom ROMs here will have Wifi Error if not using the ASIAN built

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

juanreboiras

May 6, 2009
buenos aires
Is simply straight forward. I have to create new thread bcoz i can see many frens asking about this in various thread.

Unlock (HTC Method may void warranty, i dont care :p) + CWM = Can flash any custom rom :)

[2] just follow on-screen instruction until successfully boot with unlocked bootloader

now the important part :

[3] download Revolutionary shutteru CWM recovery from here
[4] reboot device in bootloader mode > plug in usb cable until u see FASTBOOT USB on device screen
[5] now in adb type : fasboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img
[6] Done.

To root stock rom, just flash su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip frm recovery u just flashed.

Now device is Bootloader Unlocked + Revolutionary CWM + S-ON & ready to flash custom rom.

Sorry for my question but, what is :now in adb type, where is adb. Please sorry but no understand. Thanks.

gigaboss

Oct 11, 2007
New York
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I also have a question, what's the difference between S-OFF and S-ON? I unlocked my phone the revolutionary way so I guess I'm S-OFF but I don't get what's the difference, in both case you can flash anything you want?

I also have a question, what's the difference between S-OFF and S-ON? I unlocked my phone the revolutionary way so I guess I'm S-OFF but I don't get what's the difference, in both case you can flash anything you want?

How Do I Know If My Device Is S-ON Or S-OFF?

That is easy to verify. Simply boot into HBOOT on your device (Volume + Dwn) with fastboot off, and the text on top will show the flag status as either S-OFF or S-ON. A full root generally means S-OFF.

S-OFF – What And Why?

In their devices, HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.

Check you have usb debugging enabled.
Google the android sdk and download.
Extract it to somewhere.
Connect the phone and run Adb commands from the command prompt in windows after changing directory to the tools folder in the folder you just extracted.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA App

juanreboiras

May 6, 2009
buenos aires
impossible

Check you have usb debugging enabled.
Google the android sdk and download.
Extract it to somewhere.
Connect the phone and run Adb commands from the command prompt in windows after changing directory to the tools folder in the folder you just extracted.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA App

Sorry for my stupidity. It may be more graphic.
I'm with the sdk package you extracted to a folder on my desktop when I run adb opens and closes just a black window, then do not like running the flash file recovery fasboot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img. I need someone to do it step by step slower. From cmd not to put.

:(

n_god

Mar 21, 2010
BURSA
it works on HBoot 1.49.0009.
also when you install rom manager u can change the recovery to lastest ver.

it's still S-On but its rooted :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

now the important part : (u can use4EXT Recovery Touch (the best. recommended) or Revolutionary custom CWM recovery image)

[3a] 4EXT Recovery Touch (THE BEST) See HERE for more info.

[3b] Revolutionary CWM
    (i) download Revolutionary shutteru CWM recovery from here
    (ii) reboot device in bootloader mode > fastboot > plug in usb cable until u see FASTBOOT USB on device screen
    (iii) now in adb type : fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img
    (iv) Done.

[4] To root stock rom,
    (i) download Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and copy to sdcard
    (ii) reboot to recovery mode
    (iii) select install zip frm sdcard > choose zip frm sdcard > select zip file as in (i) step above > proceed to flash.

Now device is Bootloader Unlocked + CWM recovery + S-ON & ready to flash custom rom.
    Could you please clarify for a dummy like me?

As per explanation I understand:

1. Even when S-ON I can install ROMs with custom kernels.

2. To do it I must use "fastboot" from PC and not the CWM or other smart recovery directly.

What actually happen if I try to install OC kernel with CWM and what happen if using "fastboot"? Why the 1st process fails and the 2nd works?

Thanks.

Per JoeyKrim (my summary),
    HTC Unlocked with S-On. The /boot partition is only accessible with "write" access from the android os or from the fastboot mode. This prevents ANY recovery from having write access to the /boot partition.

By entering your recovery (CWM or TWRP) VIA fastboot boot command prompt, you allow the recovery to have full access to the /boot partition where you can flash full roms with kernels, flash just kernels, restore & make backups, etc, just as you would normally from recovery.

The 2 things you can't do with HTC Unlocked/S-On is to manually flash radios and boot logos (splash screen). You have to relock and flash the full stock RUU to update those, then unlock and reroot.

There are workarounds to using fastboot command prompt such as FlashImageGUI, TWRP Recovery w/HTC DumLock, & more recently 4ext Recovery w/smartflash (which run from android os), but you should be comfortable with fastboot first and if you screw something up with these workarounds, you'll have to use fastboot to fix it anyway.
    excellent!!! i did it this morning and about to write the tutorial. good you come up with this 1st. thanks for that.

i can confirm that this is working

cheers.

How Do I Know If My Device Is S-ON Or S-OFF?

That is easy to verify. Simply boot into HBOOT on your device (Volume + Dwn) with fastboot off, and the text on top will show the flag status as either S-OFF or S-ON. A full root generally means S-OFF.

S-OFF – What And Why?

In their devices, HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.
    hi. i unlocked my phone with htc unlocked method.i flashed recover.img
    now bootloader unlocked and i can go to recovery mode. but s- on yet.
    i download this custom rom and flash from recovery.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307599

when rom installed and i reboot phone. in htc logo phone automatic rebbot and reboot.
    please help me?
    what i can do??
    my HBoot is 1.49.0018

before you flash the rom:
    open the zip file you download and copy boot.img file to your sdk tool and flash it using adb/cmd
    after that you can normally flash the rom using CWM recovery..hope this can help you without stuck at htc logo.