[Q] Verizon sch i605 new carrier?

Search This thread

w4rped

Oct 24, 2012
I have a Verizon sch i605 (galaxy note 2). I really want to get off Verizon. I need to know if there is any other service that I can flash my phone to that will allow me to be free of this garbage service.
Now I know I can get it over to pageplus, but my issue here is 4g speeds. I want 4g! is that so hard?? anyways... I called straight talk, and searched everywhere about them and apparently Verizon 4g phones cant be flashed to them. So does anyone know a service that has a decent coverage map and 4g speeds (unlimited preferred) that I can get my note 2 over to? I can't seem to find anything online that helps at all...

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
If you want the best 4g coverage you're already on it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

bucknerspc

Feb 20, 2013
Sim unlocked

I hear that the sim in the Verizon Note 2 is already unlocked. just go to Wal-Mart and grab a straight talk sim and see what you think. I think there is a mod for rooted phones to get rid of the annoying sim notification. I have been researching a cheaper alternative to Verizon but the unlimited pre paid plans aren't exactly unlimited. once you hit the 2gb allowance a month they will throttle your speed back and could even disconnect your services. its all in there EULA.

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
I hear that the sim in the Verizon Note 2 is already unlocked. just go to Wal-Mart and grab a straight talk sim and see what you think. I think there is a mod for rooted phones to get rid of the annoying sim notification. I have been researching a cheaper alternative to Verizon but the unlimited pre paid plans aren't exactly unlimited. once you hit the 2gb allowance a month they will throttle your speed back and could even disconnect your services. its all in there EULA.

You don't have to flash the Note 2 for other service. You just get another sim and pop it in. I am currently testing out Straight Talk on my Note 2. Basically, after you activate your service with them, you just need to add the APN info on your phone and connect to that network. This modified APK from IMNUTS will let you not have the annoying sim notification.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35373936&postcount=4

However, the last statement above is the downside. Once you hit 2.5gb of usage, your speeds are throttled down. Now, it says high speed, so I am not sure if they are only talking about LTE or what, because our phones cannot connect to LTE because we do not have the needed phone bands.

w4rped

Oct 24, 2012
You don't have to flash the Note 2 for other service. You just get another sim and pop it in. I am currently testing out Straight Talk on my Note 2. Basically, after you activate your service with them, you just need to add the APN info on your phone and connect to that network. This modified APK from IMNUTS will let you not have the annoying sim notification.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35373936&postcount=4

However, the last statement above is the downside. Once you hit 2.5gb of usage, your speeds are throttled down. Now, it says high speed, so I am not sure if they are only talking about LTE or what, because our phones cannot connect to LTE because we do not have the needed phone bands.

So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011
So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.

The phone is sim unlocked. That means you can pop in any carrier's sim card and phone calls will work with no flashing or any modifications needed. What Verizon did is block the APN settings... Without adjusting those, you will not get data at all on another carrier.

Customized ROMs and apk and flash able zip exploits all exist to get around this.

Reactions: smokeguy1

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX

Because a lot of the times they don't know what they are talking about? Here is their own website where you can put in your phone IMEI and it will tell you it is compatible.
http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/

Also, the 4.1.2 update from Verizon allowed the user to edit APN's without needing root.

7jgdA2W7

IqdiwdUG

Last edited:

bucknerspc

Feb 20, 2013
results

Let us now how the straight talk 4g is in your area. I have been debating on switching with my note 2 but I am grandfathered in on unlimited Verizon data and am not a big fan of the 2gb-ish cap on the "unlimited" data prepaid plans offer.

w4rped

Oct 24, 2012
So confused

I feel like such a noob. I am checking into getting a new sim card for my phone. But all the ones that are being sold are for "att" "net10" "tmobile"... they are straight talk sims... just being sold as specifically for each of those carrier's phones. Is there a difference? I know that I can't use a micro sim because it wont fit. But they have a "mini" sim that is the regular size but the actual chip part is small. So needless to say, I don't know if that one will work!
Basically I am thinking about getting the straight talk sim that is supposed to be for att phones because it looks the most similar. But please I would like someone to give ,me a little insight before I go ahead and buy it.
They are also selling T-Mobile sim chips for "swap trick" I don't really know if that's what I need either... I am so confused lol. This is one topic that I can't seem to research properly online. I got all the APN crap done, but the sim baffles me. It should be that I can just use any sim and it should work...
Second part...
Can I use a used straight talk sim? and if I can... Will I have to use the number that sim was activated on?

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
I feel like such a noob. I am checking into getting a new sim card for my phone. But all the ones that are being sold are for "att" "net10" "tmobile"... they are straight talk sims... just being sold as specifically for each of those carrier's phones. Is there a difference? I know that I can't use a micro sim because it wont fit. But they have a "mini" sim that is the regular size but the actual chip part is small. So needless to say, I don't know if that one will work!
Basically I am thinking about getting the straight talk sim that is supposed to be for att phones because it looks the most similar. But please I would like someone to give ,me a little insight before I go ahead and buy it.
They are also selling T-Mobile sim chips for "swap trick" I don't really know if that's what I need either... I am so confused lol. This is one topic that I can't seem to research properly online. I got all the APN crap done, but the sim baffles me. It should be that I can just use any sim and it should work...
Second part...
Can I use a used straight talk sim? and if I can... Will I have to use the number that sim was activated on?

I went with the AT&T sim because of their network footprint. And contrary to your above point, you do want the micro sim, as that is the slot our phones have.

I am not sure about the answer to your second question. I mean, the sim cards are practically free, so not sure why you wouldn't want to purchase a new one.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Let us now how the straight talk 4g is in your area. I have been debating on switching with my note 2 but I am grandfathered in on unlimited Verizon data and am not a big fan of the 2gb-ish cap on the "unlimited" data prepaid plans offer.

While the HSPA+ has excellent coverage, the speed is not up to par with LTE. That said, I still get comparable download speeds to my VZW LTE speeds and I am guessing that has to do with network congestion here. If I go to my home town, which is not a tenth of the size of Houston, LTE is blazing fast and there is a large gap between it and the HSPA+.

TL;DR - For the price, the speed is satisfactory.

w4rped

Oct 24, 2012
I went with the AT&T sim because of their network footprint. And contrary to your above point, you do want the micro sim, as that is the slot our phones have.

I am not sure about the answer to your second question. I mean, the sim cards are practically free, so not sure why you wouldn't want to purchase a new one.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

While the HSPA+ has excellent coverage, the speed is not up to par with LTE. That said, I still get comparable download speeds to my VZW LTE speeds and I am guessing that has to do with network congestion here. If I go to my home town, which is not a tenth of the size of Houston, LTE is blazing fast and there is a large gap between it and the HSPA+.

TL;DR - For the price, the speed is satisfactory.

Ok, so I think I understand. You got the actual ATT sim card? Like the SIM card you would get if you actually went to ATT?
I want the ATT coverage as well since TMOBILE sucks here. As far as the micro sim card goes. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. The micro card is way smaller than the normal sim card. It is like half the size. So while you say that's what we have in our phone, I can assure you the one in mine is much bigger. The ATT one looks to be the same size as mine. But like I said, they have a regular size card with a small chip as well. I just don't think the tiny card will fit in there.

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
Ok, so I think I understand. You got the actual ATT sim card? Like the SIM card you would get if you actually went to ATT?
I want the ATT coverage as well since TMOBILE sucks here. As far as the micro sim card goes. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. The micro card is way smaller than the normal sim card. It is like half the size. So while you say that's what we have in our phone, I can assure you the one in mine is much bigger. The ATT one looks to be the same size as mine. But like I said, they have a regular size card with a small chip as well. I just don't think the tiny card will fit in there.

No, I am using the AT&T sim card directly from the Straight Talk website.
Capture.JPG

And our phone uses a microSim card, that is simply a fact. If you have something else, I don't know how that is possible. There is no way a regular size sim is going to fit in that spot. Here is the inside:
inside.jpg

w4rped

Oct 24, 2012
No, I am using the AT&T sim card directly from the Straight Talk website.
Capture.JPG

And our phone uses a microSim card, that is simply a fact. If you have something else, I don't know how that is possible. There is no way a regular size sim is going to fit in that spot. Here is the inside:
inside.jpg

We were talking about two different things. I figured it out. I did want a micro sim, but the one I was talking about was WAY smaller. It's on ebay. Not sure what it is, but it's there. I just got a micro sim from ST website, much easier. Thanks for the help.

arlenesboyfriend

Feb 18, 2011
I have aio wireless which is mnvo off of att and I get lte everywhere and the bill is 70 bucks with unlimited talk and text plus 7 gigs of data with the option to buy more for 10 bucks per gig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The phone is sim unlocked. That means you can pop in any carrier's sim card and phone calls will work with no flashing or any modifications needed. What Verizon did is block the APN settings... Without adjusting those, you will not get data at all on another carrier.

Customized ROMs and apk and flash able zip exploits all exist to get around this.