Connected Gear to any Android

Search This thread

Michael R.

Feb 27, 2014
Seattle
Yes. I do it all the time. The only difference between doing it on a non Touchwiz phone compared with a Touchwiz phone is that the phone sees it as a handsfree device so will answer on the Gear by default, even if you hit the answer button on the phone. You just need to tap the little icon next to the 'End Call' button on the Gear though and it will route the call back to the handset. You can also tap the bluetooth icon on the dialer and switch the source to earpiece or speakerphone. Bit of an annoyance but not a particular problem.

I'm running a TW based ROM and I can't even get it to connect. Just hangs at connecting to gear at the setup... Did you do a clean setup or did your settings carry over when you updated?

zaphodbb1

Mar 6, 2011
St. Albans
Hi All

Just to confirm - Stock Z1 and Gear 1 updated to Tizen works OK :good: Just had to follow the instructions to drop the .apk's in the system/app folder and install.

I do keep getting an update notification for Gear Manager, but can't update as the Updater keeps stopping (after contacting the server, so maybe Samsung are checking the phone model?). According to the Gear Manager thread I'm already running the latest version so have posted in the thread asking if someone can check.

Zaphodbb

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Hi All

Just to confirm - Stock Z1 and Gear 1 updated to Tizen works OK :good: Just had to follow the instructions to drop the .apk's in the system/app folder and install.

I do keep getting an update notification for Gear Manager, but can't update as the Updater keeps stopping (after contacting the server, so maybe Samsung are checking the phone model?). According to the Gear Manager thread I'm already running the latest version so have posted in the thread asking if someone can check.

Zaphodbb

Why does the APK need dropping in System/App? I just installed the APK straight from my Download folder after grabbing it and it works fine. Is there a reason I should put it in System/App instead?

zaphodbb1

Mar 6, 2011
St. Albans
Well I guess not - I followed the advice from another thread that stated it had to be on this folder.
Main thing is that *it works* :)

Have you had a notification that there's an update yet?

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Well I guess not - I followed the advice from another thread that stated it had to be on this folder.
Main thing is that *it works* :)

Have you had a notification that there's an update yet?

Are you talking about in the Play Store? Mine doesn't show in the Play Store. I suspect that putting it in the System/App folder is what results in the app showing up as updatable. I'm not rooted anyway though, and I suspect it'll never let you update the app through this method anyway. I just download the latest APKs when I hear of them. My battery life is so good currently though that I'm loathed to try any others! Switching from the older version of Gear Manager to 2.1 made my battery go from lasting less than a day to up to a week

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems nobody has noticed new Gear Manager connect to any Android 4.3 on. I test with Xperia Z1 updated with Kitkat and tested with HTC Butterfly 4.3. Calls and notificatications work fine
    Yes please, I'm on cm 11 beanstalk note 3 and I can't even get it to connect and I don't want to use a touchwiz Rom

Note 3 Beanstalk 4.4

I believe it's tw only brother. My son was on cm 11 and had to bounce back to tw to install gear manager.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2
    yeah, could you elaborate ? I got a replacement phone (a xperia sp) which is up to date. So I think that it should be quite similar to your z1. I'm on 4.3 too. How did you get it work ? I only managed to have a full connection with v1.6.111801 of gear manager, and still notifications weren't working.
    How did you do with latest gear manager ? I tried by installing only, or everything... and can't get it connecting to the gear. Just stays on first screen "connecting to gear..."

Any help ?
    Anyone care to tell me the latest version of gear manager version and a link possibly? Just ordered a gear 1 yesterday for $99. Don't have it yet but doing my homeworl

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You can find it here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573200