Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

jult

Apr 22, 2011
Amsterdam, NL, EU
jult.net
When speaking about power monsters like our S3, considering that SDCard memory is hundreds time slower then RAM
I'm sorry to have to jump in here, but that is a severe exaggeration, especially when you're using UHS U1 rating Class 10 or faster SDcards. In fact, our 'power monsters' use cheap NAND, Samsung already targets the life cycle to be shorter than 4 years, which causes it to be less durable, not really fault tolerant (which you can clearly notice if you do ROM-updates very often) and not as fast as it could be.

Do you have the exact specs on the S3 NAND for us?

Last edited:

pabgar

I'm sorry to have to jump in here, but that is a severe exaggeration, especially when you're using UHS U1 rating Class 10 or faster SDcards.
To be honest I have no idea, where are you in this discussion.

Do you recognise the difference between internal RAM and internal NAND memory ( so mounted by system as: SD ) ??

Last edited:

jult

Apr 22, 2011
Amsterdam, NL, EU
jult.net
Siyah is a great kernel to base a rom on, no doubt about it.
but personally i like Philz Touch recovery and the perseus kernel,
now it isn't a problem to reflash those after the rom is installed, but some people just like to use OTA for everything :good:
Siyah is the only one offering very functional and actually quite useful Dual boot options. Space for running your Samsung with 2 roms is not really an issue (in my experience). The only problem is that you have to make sure most apps store their data on the external SD, otherwise you'll be going crazy making backups and restoring from them each time you boot the different rom. But I have to say, the dual-boot option is perfect for testing a new rom.

By the way, great ROM, the green statusbar stuff was exactly what I was waiting for! Thanks.

I do prefer to use the Holo launcher though, because I like to have those silly texts under the desktop icons removed and the scrolling speed for the home-screens and app drawer can be set, which is a blessing!
I usually install the Holo launcher when I'm using ROM Cleaner; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827817

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
Absolutely great ROM! So far I have experience with OMEGA and Wanam! Your definitely is better!
Soon I will post my info on battery life and RAM usage - both great!

Thanks for your feedback

One question: How could we use vegeta1's MOD? Could we get his SystemUI?
If not - it would be good to add in your future plans ;)

I didnt try vegetas Mod...I could take a look tommorrow perhaps

Also thank you for your cooperation to all interested in your ROM!
Keep on!

Its my pleasure ;)

One more: Your opinion is important regarding these MODs and Scripts:

[Script] Amestris Odexer V4.0 ! NEW Script ---> I did the ROM Deodex because theres really no difference between Deodex and Odex, but Deodex has one +, its easy to find Mods or Add-ons. So I really dont see the need to Odex a Rom that's been Deodex :eek:

[MOD][JB/ICS][15DEC] bestMultiTaskingFix 7 - Multitasking with no lags! ---> Did you find any multitasking lags on my ROM? If yes please take a note and report back for future improvement

[MOD][TWEAKS] ThunderBolt! v3.0.5 2/13/13 [Performance+Battery Life Mods & Tweaks] ---> Did you not tell that this Rom is the best in Battery Life :confused:

[GUIDE] Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition ---> I did try this method...but the gain was so minimum and the risk of getting Sd card broken so great, that I didint place this on the ROM

[APK] Seeder 2.0.0 entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction
---> In my opinion this is placebo. I tried...and...well...S3 was the same has if it didint had it

Do you know wats the secret of my ROM? Its this "MIS". Do you know what it means? ---> MAKE IT SIMPLE

My friend, the more simple the ROM more fast it is, because it releases resources to unleashed the full power of the (Dark Side Heheheheh :laugh:) Light Side ;)

But thanks for the tips...keep posting your doubts and tips. I much aprecciate that! Really I do :fingers-crossed: Its the only way to improve.

Reactions: ivankolev

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
edgeqwerty will shurely put the light of his intelligence to your questions but let me put my point of view to one topic:

In short: using swap file makes great sense with poor machines ( like my old Spica i5700 which had total around 180 MB RAM ). When speaking about power monsters like our S3, considering that SDCard memory is hundreds time slower then RAM, benefits of using Swap are not so obvious.
The idea of Swap file is rather a relic of old times, when memory was epensive and precious. Those times are gone but some devs had not noticed that :)
IMHO: it does not make sense. Android works according to old Linux philosophy: free RAM is wasted RAM - and you have to live with it. Take in mind, that this philosophy even arrived to Windows 8 where apps are rather minimised and kept in memory then closed.

Couldnt agree more with you! :D

pabgar

-
Do you know wats the secret of my ROM? Its this "MIS". Do you know what it means? ---> MAKE IT SIMPLE.
:good: You got the right point of view. I also work in app development ( but not for Android ). Many professional code developers in all areas forget about 2 straight rules:
-simple constructions are hard to break
-software is not for developers but for users ( even those halfbrained )
:victory:

Last edited:

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
Siyah is the only one offering very functional and actually quite useful Dual boot options. Space for running your Samsung with 2 roms is not really an issue (in my experience). The only problem is that you have to make sure most apps store their data on the external SD, otherwise you'll be going crazy making backups and restoring from them each time you boot the different rom. But I have to say, the dual-boot option is perfect for testing a new rom.

By the way, great ROM, the green statusbar stuff was exactly what I was waiting for! Thanks.

I do prefer to use the Holo launcher though, because I like to have those silly texts under the desktop icons removed and the scrolling speed for the home-screens and app drawer can be set, which is a blessing!
I usually install the Holo launcher when I'm using ROM Cleaner; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827817

I'm sorry to have to jump in here, but that is a severe exaggeration, especially when you're using UHS U1 rating Class 10 or faster SDcards. In fact, our 'power monsters' use cheap NAND, Samsung already targets the life cycle to be shorter than 4 years, which causes it to be less durable, not really fault tolerant (which you can clearly notice if you do ROM-updates very often) and not as fast as it could be.

Do you have the exact specs on the S3 NAND for us?

Well,

First of all thanks for your feedback. :laugh:

About the swap, Sd cards, RAM, etc...in my humble opinion, in spite SdCard progression in terms of speed, I do believe RAM is faster. And other thing when you swap to SdCard, the system has to take the block from RAM and store them in (Swap them) to SdCard, When the system needs that block of information again, it has to take them from the SdCard (Swap again) and mount them back in RAM. So if your RAM is full or your LMK is bad dimensioned, the systrem has to close some Apps in RAM to make the Block you now whant! Confused? :confused: No, Think this way: You are on a railroad track. The track is full of trains (Apps) in line 1 (RAM). So you swap a train to another line 2 (SdCard) Leaving a blank space. But then another train (App) arrives in line 1, making the track full again. When you want to travel in the Train that has been swaped to Line 2, the system will erase (close) the last train (App) in Line 1 (RAM) to make room from the Train that arrives from Line 2.

So...Making it Simple...I think is not so great...And also...Accessing the SdCard with such frequency can make the SdCard go BOOOM!!! :D

But this is just me talking...:rolleyes:

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
:good: You got the right point of view. I also work in app development ( but not for Android ). Many professional code developers in all areas forget about 2 straight rules:
-simple constructions are hard to break
-software is not for developers but for users ( even those halfbrained )
:victory:

Your Great man!:laugh: Really nice to meet your type of person :highfive:

ivankolev

Jul 25, 2012
Stara Zagora
Your 'MIS'is the best solution I think! That what I like most! Especially when the MOD could be applied to make the phones look nicer.

Did you find any multitasking lags on my ROM? If yes please take a note and report back for future improvement ---> NO, I didn't ;)
Did you not tell that this Rom is the best in Battery Life :confused: ---> YES, I did. It is ;)

Just I appreciate your opinion about MODs and Scripts according your ROM!

Reactions: edgeqwerty

symptom666

May 17, 2012
Sweden Home of Wikings
Nice rom mate very nice! all creeds to you!! I have 2 Q
1:Is the battery time good and i meen good!? =)
2:What is seeder for never seen it mabey a noobish question

hope for a replay..

cheers Symptom

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
OTA UPDATED (Both of Them V4 an V4.1)

Check OTA > Mods > SMS Mod

FINALLY! I almost thought no one wasn't making this one...:D

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
Nice rom mate very nice! all creeds to you!! I have 2 Q
1:Is the battery time good and i meen good!? =)
2:What is seeder for never seen it mabey a noobish question

hope for a replay..

cheers Symptom
Hello mate.

Q1 - The battery is GOOD...Like really Good...Its not just me saying it you can check it in attach a screen of my daily use and I get 4h with everything ON the hole day...I do abuse a lot of my battery...

Q2 - Seeder is a thing that feeds another thing that suppose to be required for every app. When you open an app of what so ever, the app consumes entropy (like it needs to eat something before starting to work). In High end devices I don see any advantage...and in our devices it just serves to consume battery in my humble opinion. But and let me HIGHLIGHT this: IN LOW END DEVICES could be of very good use.

Thanks for your questions and feedback ;)

Attachments

• OsyvTii.jpg
    OsyvTii.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 63
  • llL5npg.jpg
    llL5npg.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 60

pabgar

Accessing the SdCard with such frequency can make the SdCard go BOOOM!!! :D. But this is just me talking...:rolleyes:
Not "can". It will blow for shure. People happily buying SSD drives ( based on MLC chips ) do not realise, that they have roughly 10k ( 10000 ) write cycles endurance per cell. This is ridiculous. The only reason, why they do not die within few months is tricky controller which does so called "trimming". The future of SSD drives ( and their owners ) based on MLC chips is sad. They will not die slowly like mechanical HDDs with "bad sectors" appearing. SSDs wil die suddenly and without hope for data restore.
SD cards are made of MLC chip without controller. So using them as frequently used Swap partition will kill them really fast.

Above sad future does not apply do SSD drives made of SLC chips ( much more expensive ), as the have write cycle endurance at level 100k ( 100000)

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

OTA UPDATED (Both of Them V4 an V4.1)
Check OTA > Mods > SMS Mod
FINALLY! I almost thought no one wasn't making this one...:D
Great news ! But....what it does ?:silly:

Last edited:

Psycho_666

Nov 17, 2009
The Hague
forum.simplteam.cf
Samsung Galaxy A53

yeah but i don't dual boot.
i only use this rom and flash it anew almost every day now cause of stupid ideas of myself or mods that screw up the system.
and my sd card is already full with a backup of my programs and it's data, so dual boot would make me go insane within 2 days.

and besides...what other rom should i need to use? this one has everything i need...
from insane speeds to mod-ability and even good battery life. ;)

but like i said before to edgy, i can understand why he uses Siyah as a base, it works flawless all the time and is versatile.
but on the other hand...not everyone wants or needs that versatility, so options like changing kernel from OTA could win some extra people over to this awesomesauce-rom :fingers-crossed:

edgeqwerty

Jun 23, 2010
Not "can". It will blow for shure. People happily buying SSD drives ( based on MLC chips ) do not realise, that they have roughly 10k ( 10000 ) write cycles endurance per cell. This is ridiculous. The only reason, why they do not die within few months is tricky controller which does so called "trimming". The future of SSD drives ( and their owners ) based on MLC chips is sad. They will not die slowly like mechanical HDDs with "bad sectors" appearing. SSDs wil die suddenly and without hope for data restore.
SD cards are made of MLC chip without controller. So using them as frequently used Swap partition will kill them really fast.

Above sad future does not apply do SSD drives made of SLC chips ( much more expensive ), as the have write cycle endurance at level 100k ( 100000)

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Great news ! But....what it does ?:silly:

Check the credits next to the mod...But in short glance: it disables limitation to send sms to 200 contacts and breaks the sadly thing that Samsung has that is convert in mms after 3 sms. :laugh:

symptom666

May 17, 2012
Sweden Home of Wikings
Hello mate.

Q1 - The battery is GOOD...Like really Good...Its not just me saying it you can check it in attach a screen of my daily use and I get 4h with everything ON the hole day...I do abuse a lot of my battery...

Q2 - Seeder is a thing that feeds another thing that suppose to be required for every app. When you open an app of what so ever, the app consumes entropy (like it needs to eat something before starting to work). In High end devices I don see any advantage...and in our devices it just serves to consume battery in my humble opinion. But and let me HIGHLIGHT this: IN LOW END DEVICES could be of very good use.

Thanks for your questions and feedback ;)

Thx mate for the quick answer .. Wow that is good battery life!! i think i found my fav rom!! thanks mate for the DEV... !!! keep up the good work

Reactions: edgeqwerty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ THINGS FIRST

The purpose of this project is:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Create a Solid Stable SLIM Version BASE of Samsung Official Firmware
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My mojo is: MAKE IT SIMPLE (MIS) ;)

The ROM will be follow by an OTA filled with everything compatible with the release. I will not use Mods / Themes / Apps uncompatible with the Build.

I want you to consider this as an oportunity for you to costumise and build step by step the ROM you wish for.

With the base I provide you can build as you desire.

Updates that should be released are only to fix possible bugs, to add tweaks, or to update Kernels's or major apps.

I want to thanks:
    TugaPower
    And all Devs that share things with us

This is a voluntary project and I have to dedicate much time in order to everything work well. THANKS Button and the DONATE ME button are available to those who like my work. Choose whatever you wish/can!

User's with Light Force ROM Registered at 07/06/2013:

---> 2388 users

===> BIG THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING DONATORS:

pabgar
    lucsbran
    batahulu

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

26/06/2013​

V9.0 XXUFME7 Light Force ROM [449MB] ---> NO WIPE
    Base Firmware:I9300XXUFME7
    BaseModem:XXUFME7
    ChangeList: 702147
    Kernel: Stock XXUFME7
    Recovery: PhilZ Touch 5

Screns Link

Download Link

IMPORTANT: In Recovery go to 'advanced' and tap 'toggle /data/media' to enable OTA auto-install

Also when installed the Superuser will ask permission to update the binary 'su'...just choose 'install' and its done (Do not know why it asks because it's supposed to be updated )

http://lightforcerom.tk/

Please consider Donating...Thanks :)
    OTA Content (Aplication Update Me):

V9.0:

Apps or Stuff to add
    - 1 - Enable All Languages ---> Install this to unlock ALL LANGUAGES
    - 2 - All Sounds
    - 3 - All share Apps
    - 4 - Email App + Exchange Support
    - 5 - S4 Sound Touch

Misc
    - 1 - Stock Battery With Stock Status
    - 2 - Stock TouchWiz With Scrollable Wallpaper
    - 3 - S4 Gallery App
    - 4 - S4 TouchWiz With Scrollable wallpaper
    - 5 - S4 Stock Weather Widget (No Transparent)

Mods
    - 1 - Battery 1% MOD With Transparent Status
    - 2 - S4 Message App Moded - No MMS Convert after 3 SMS + Correct Time Stamp
    - 3 - S4 Transparent Weather Widget

Themes
    - empty -

Kernel's and Recovery's
    - empty -

I will keep this post updated for fast consulting
    V8.0 XXUFME3 RELEASED!

Check my SITE

Don't had the time to place files in OTA but I think today will be available :p
    Great news:

Exclusive: I9300XXUFME3 – Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean leaked firmware for the Galaxy S III

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/05/20...re-for-the-galaxy-s-iii/#.UZoeQV2f8oE.twitter

Will begin working in this tonight! :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    [ROM] [4.1.2 XXEMA2] [OTA] LightForceROM SLIM [403Mb] V3.0 ---&gt;

XXEMR2 is out. My friend Porfírio has put the Full Stock version in his Blog. Check it out in: tuxederivados.blogspot.pt.

I will begin the sliming process tomorrow. :D

Cheers and my the Force be with you all! :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2