T-mobile One S Bloatware Removal

Search This thread

ruds95

Oct 16, 2012
Jaipur
Buying unlocked t-mobile one s

So here's the deal.
I'm planning to buy an unlocked one s (t-mobile).
I know that T-mobile is notirious when it comes to updates, so will i be able to get updates directly from htc?
Any has T-mobile made bootloader permanently locked?

Thanks

Last edited:

hdoan444

Feb 15, 2008
I will list the Apps I felt were bloat and subsequently either disabled or removed all together.

I will also discuss how I got Mobile Life Contacts to go "EFF" itself (in other words, I actually disabled it). Anybody that owns the phone should know how hard this is.

I'm interested in finding out how T-Mobile Name ID can be removed and or disabled. If anybody knows how to disable the POS that is T-Mobile Name ID please share the solution.

Blatant Bloat:
1) 411 & More
2) Bonus Apps
3) Game Base
4) HTCDB-XXX (languages for keyboard)
5) Mobile Hotspot (I realize this app is for tethering but it's bloat because this should be free)
8) MobileLife Contacts *** More on this below
9) More for Me
10) My T-Mobile (talk about worthless, this kind of stuff should be removable!)
11) T-Mobile Mall
12) T-Mobile TV
13) Visual Voicemail (thanks but NO THANKS T-Mobile, Google offers this for free)
14) Watch
15) Zinio (UTTER GARBAGE)

Potential Bloat:
1) Facebook
2) Flickr
3) Google Play Movies
4) Google+
5) Slacker
6) Twitter

While I can appreciate T-Mobile having initiative, not everybody has accounts or is interested in using these social networks or services. It would be nice if the phone allowed us to simply REMOVE what we do not wish to use.

***Mobile Life Contacts***
The phone normally tells you this app is being used by other apps and as such a factory reset is required. I PERSONALLY reset my device about 5 freaking times today and each time the app would tell me I need to do a factory reset. After that I decided to disable (not REMOVE) all messaging and contacts app to see if it would then budge. It didn't. I got EXTREMELY upset and decided I would apply a "scorched earth method". I disabled EVERY SINGLE thing that I could from the As down to the Ms until I got to MobileLife contacts. At which point I checked the app and the "Disable" button was no longer grayed out.

I realize this is tedious, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to scorch the Earth as I did. Just disable stuff alphabetically starting from the As and keep checking to see if the app can be disabled. Also I'm pretty sure you don't have to disable the HTCDB-XXX stuff as I did.

I found this on another website on how to remove and .apk on android, it works with all these above apk:
Open up Terminal Emulator

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
rm /system/app/Lookout.apk
reboot

Last edited:

seozone

Nov 11, 2010
I use root uninstaller to remove unwanted apps. You need to be rooted.. If you are rooted might as well get a rom that clean.

Sent from my HTC One S

So, I used RomToolBox pro to remove some bloatware. I removed 7-8 apps in the first round, then, started again to remove a few remaining ones. Towards the end, the phone automatically restarted, and all removed apps showed up.

I have rooted the phone. Any idea what i have done wrong? I recollect the app which was being removed was "T-mobile mall."

mike102871

Feb 20, 2011
Motorola Edge 20
So, I used RomToolBox pro to remove some bloatware. I removed 7-8 apps in the first round, then, started again to remove a few remaining ones. Towards the end, the phone automatically restarted, and all removed apps showed up.

I have rooted the phone. Any idea what i have done wrong? I recollect the app which was being removed was "T-mobile mall."

Same thing here

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Since I s offd I delete apps and they stay gone.

so you mean to say, before s-off, if you removed apps, they would return back? Is it reasonable to say one needs s-off before manipulating any apps on stock rom?

mike102871

Feb 20, 2011
Motorola Edge 20
---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

so you mean to say, before s-off, if you removed apps, they would return back? Is it reasonable to say one needs s-off before manipulating any apps on stock rom?

Yes . Before s off if I deleted stock apps they returned on reboot. After s off they stay gone

kearneyman

Jul 6, 2012
Austin
Command for US T-Mobile OTA 2.15 HBoot Update

boot to recovery, for me I'm using ClockWorkMod
select "Mounts & Storage"
select "mount /system"
On your computer, launch a terminal and type:
Code:
adb shell
Then change to the app directory with the command:
Code:
cd /system/app/

Here's the commands I ran to get rid of the bloatware from the US T-Mobile Ville

Code:
rm LMIRescue.apk #(Rescue)
rm LMIRescue.odex #(Rescue)
rm LMIRescueIcon.apk #(Rescue)
rm LMIRescueIcon.odex  #(Rescue)
rm LMIRescueSecurity.apk #(Rescue)
rm LMIRescueSecurity.odex #(Rescue)

rm Transfer.apk
rm Transfer.odex

# HTC Notes
rm Htc3DNotesWidget.apk
rm Htc3DNotesWidget.odex
rm Htc3DRichNotesWidget.apk
rm Htc3DRichNotesWidget.odex 
rm HtcNotes.apk HtcNotes.odex
rm HtcNotesPainterView.apk
rm HtcNotesPainterView.odex
rm HtcNotesProvider.apk
rm HtcNotesProvider.odex

#Twitter
rm Twitter.apk 
rm Twitter.odex 
rm TwitterEngine.apk
rm TwitterEngine.odex 
rm Twitter_Client.apk 
rm Twitter_Client.odex
rm FlickrEngine.apk
rm FlickrEngine.odex
rm Flickr.apk
rm Flickr.odex

rm TuneIn.apk 
rm TuneIn.odex 

rm install_flash_player.odex 
rm install_flash_player.apk

rm highlight.apk
rm highlight.odex
rm TMOUS_411.apk 
rm TMOUS_411.odex 
rm TMOUS_NAB.apk #(mobile contacts)
rm TMOUS_NAB.odex #(mobile contacts) 
rm TMOUS_Amazon.apk 
rm TMOUS_Amazon.odex 
rm TMOUS_BonusApp.apk 
rm TMOUS_BonusApp.odex 
rm TMOUS_MyTmobile.apk
rm TMOUS_MyTmobile.odex 
rm TMOUS_Lookout.apk
rm TMOUS_Lookout.odex
rm TMOUS_Slacker_Radio.apk
rm TMOUS_Slacker_Radio.odex
rm rm ECID-release.apk 
rm TMOUS_VVM.apk #(Visual Voicemail)
rm TMOUS_VVM.odex #(Visual Voicemail)
rm MallLite.apk #T-Mo Mall
rm MallLite.apk #T-Mo Mall
rm TMOUS_WMW.apk #(Where my water)
rm TMOUS_WMW.odex #(where my water)

# Friendstream
rm FriendStream.apk   FriendStream.odex
rm HtcFriendStreamWidget_3D.apk HtcFriendStreamWidget_3D.odex 
rm HTC_Widget_Watch_3D.odex HTC_Widget_Watch_3D.apk
rm idlescreen_social.apk idlescreen_social.odex
rm SocialManager.apk SocialManager.odex

# Zinio
rm ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3331.TMobile.Smartphone.apk
rm ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3331.TMobile.Smartphone.odex
rm TMOUS_Zinio.apk 
rm TMOUS_Zinio.odex 

# T-Mo TV
rm com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd.apk
rm com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd.odex
rm Watch.apk
rm Watch.odex

# Annoying app just use Android File Transfer
rm HTCSyncManager.apk
rm HTCSyncManager.odex

#SoundHound
rm SoundHound_Freemium.apk
rm SoundHound_Freemium.odex

# DropBox
rm MyDropbox.apk MyDropbox.odex
rm HtcDropboxGLRPlugin.apk HtcDropboxGLRPlugin.odex
rm Dropbox.apk Dropbox.odex

# SkyDrive
rm HtcSkydriveGLRPlugin.apk
rm HtcSkydriveGLRPlugin.odex
rm MySkydrive.apk
rm MySkydrive.odex

# checklist
rm MyTask.apk
rm MyTask.odex
rm MyTaskWidget.apk
rm MyTaskWidget.odex

rm WifiRouter.apk #(Wireless Hotspot)
rm WifiRouter.odex #(Wireless Hotspot)
rm WifiCall.apk #(WiFi Calling)
rm WifiCall.odex #(WiFi Calling)

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainMaki

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
I'm trying to remove some unwanted apps using "System Cleaner" on a rooted phone. I've been told that you need to apply kernel patch in order to avoid restarts on the phone while deleting.

I've applied the init.d patch but I get restarts when I'm trying to delete some of the apps. any ideas?

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
boot to recovery, for me I'm using ClockWorkMod
select "Mounts & Storage"
select "mount /system"
On your computer, launch a terminal and type:
Code:
adb shell
Then change to the app directory with the command:
Code:
cd /system/app/

Here's the commands I ran to get rid of the bloatware from the US T-Mobile Ville

You should take notice that Twitter_engine.apk is part of HTC Sense, so if you're planning to install Twitter later you might want to keep it. It's the same for the dropbox,flickr and skydrive plugins.

daspi

Jul 22, 2013
Rooted HTC One S T-mobile and wanted to remove some T-mobile apps. I have the automatic boot and apps coming back effect. I am not S-off. Can you folks tell me what has proven to be the best way to get rid of selected bloatware in the simplest way?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will list the Apps I felt were bloat and subsequently either disabled or removed all together.

I will also discuss how I got Mobile Life Contacts to go "EFF" itself (in other words, I actually disabled it). Anybody that owns the phone should know how hard this is.

I'm interested in finding out how T-Mobile Name ID can be removed and or disabled. If anybody knows how to disable the POS that is T-Mobile Name ID please share the solution.

Blatant Bloat:
    1) 411 & More
    2) Bonus Apps
    3) Game Base
    5) Mobile Hotspot (I realize this app is for tethering but it's bloat because this should be free)
    9) More for Me
    11) T-Mobile Mall
    12) T-Mobile TV
    13) Visual Voicemail (thanks but NO THANKS T-Mobile, Google offers this for free)
    14) Watch

Potential Bloat:
    1) Facebook
    2) Flickr
    3) Google Play Movies
    4) Google+
    5) Slacker
    6) Twitter

While I can appreciate T-Mobile having initiative, not everybody has accounts or is interested in using these social networks or services. It would be nice if the phone allowed us to simply REMOVE what we do not wish to use.

The phone normally tells you this app is being used by other apps and as such a factory reset is required. I PERSONALLY reset my device about 5 freaking times today and each time the app would tell me I need to do a factory reset. After that I decided to disable (not REMOVE) all messaging and contacts app to see if it would then budge. It didn't. I got EXTREMELY upset and decided I would apply a "scorched earth method". I disabled EVERY SINGLE thing that I could from the As down to the Ms until I got to MobileLife contacts. At which point I checked the app and the "Disable" button was no longer grayed out.

I realize this is tedious, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to scorch the Earth as I did. Just disable stuff alphabetically starting from the As and keep checking to see if the app can be disabled. Also I'm pretty sure you don't have to disable the HTCDB-XXX stuff as I did.

Okay, for anyone having issues disabling MobileLife and Name ID I found the fix. You will need to disable "Customization Settings Provider" and "Customization Setup" before you are allowed to disable the above. Once you disable all, then make sure to enable both "Customization", then your done.

Also, if you disable Mobile Hotspot then you lose the option of being able to customize your hot spot (SSID, Security, etc.), therefore you only have the option to enable/disable hotspot. Like poster before said, if you have the 5gb data plan then hotspot is covered..works.

Last, I disabled Amazon, Flickr, Friend Stream, Highlight, Lookout Security, Mail, Stock, Slacker, News & Weather, Trends Widget, and Watch. Everything seems to be working fine. I'm not rooted, and glad ICS gives you the option. Happy Disabling.

Blatant Bloat:
    1) 411 & More
    2) Bonus Apps
    3) Game Base
    9) More for Me
    11) T-Mobile Mall
    12) T-Mobile TV
    14) Watch

Potential Bloat:
    1) Facebook
    2) Flickr
    3) Google Play Movies
    4) Google+
    5) Slacker
    6) Twitter

I know I'm crazy, but here are my thoughts on T-Mobile, and other carriers, adding bloatware: I understand they want to "personalize" the device, and I can respect that...but only if they also respect that we consumers would like to be able to choose which of their apps we want to use, or allow to run on our device. Simple, right?

I have been giving it some thought, and it boils down to this: They are stealing data and battery from us as long as they do not allow us to disable apps, that they installed, from running and using data and battery. I pay for my capped data, and I am the one punished with a lower speed if that cap is reached, so they have no claim to use that data in any way that I, the one paying for it, didn't condone. I also pay the utility bill used to charge my phone, so the usage of the battery is mine to determine, also.

I went ahead and contacted them through chat... and got the run around. The agent kept telling me what I already knew, and couldn't wrap her head around the idea that I don't have time in my day to actively check to see if an app is running every waking hour so I can force kill it. Hopefully she will send my concerns up to people listening, but I doubt it, unless more people contact them to the point that they can't ignore it anymore.

I even went so far as to file a complaint with the FCC over it. Not because I think the small amount of data they use is going to push me to my cap, or the wasted battery is going to break the bank on my next utility bill, but because it's the principal. The few pennies of battery, and kb's of data stolen aren't that huge of a deal, but the fact that they would steal them in the first place is what matters. Give even a mm, and they'll take a little more next time. Where do we draw the line? How far do we let them take it before we start pushing back?

If you don't care, then that's fine. I can respect that, but don't expect my sympathies when you're finally to the point of caring and there's no way to push back anymore. And those of you who would flame and say "it's consumerism, you could just not buy what they're selling" are missing the point of consumerism. Its a two way street. You as the consumer are allowed to complain when you don't like something, and good companies will listen. That's how, and WHY it works. Just bending over and accepting turns it into Sellerism.
    Go to manage apps, then look up each individual app and most will allow you to disable. It's a (much appreciated) feature of Sense 4.

I don't mind Sense and one of the two reasons I'd ever want to root this phone would be to remove all this crap. thankfully that's not necessary like it used to be.

For Mobile Life contacts all you have to do is log in to tmobile.com, delete all your contacts from the website, then tell the phone to quit syncing. viola.
    Someone asked about the tethering app earlier, so I just wanted to throw this in if people are still looking.

I've been using Wifi Tether for Root Users since before it was on the market, and it works perfectly on this phone. Just make sure you go into the settings and change the configuration from Auto to Generic ICS or it will start the network in ad-hoc mode.

Ad-hoc works fine, but a good amount of devices won't see your network at all. Setting it to Generic ICS let's it run in infrastructure mode so it just looks like any other router.

I've tethered the crap out of this phone and my g2x with that app and have never heard a peep out of tmo_us.