[Q]help updating sph-L720

Search This thread

grdenrique

Mar 14, 2014
Hello,
after a few days researching and trying to root/flash my samsung sph l720 i didnt found anything but first:

a cousin brought me his gs4 l720 from us, it was unlocked and i can "use" it but i cant enable the hotspot etc...
i was almost going to root it but i started reading about knox, bootloaders etc thats why i wanna ask if its possible to update it from 4.3 to 4.4 and enable the hotspot etc.

software version:
L720VPUAMDC

Hardware version
L720.08

Android Version:

baseband version:
L720VPUAMDC

kernel version:
3.4.0-1927016
se.infra@R0301-10 #1
Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013

Compilation number:
JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

thats all the info in about device... i wanna know if its possible to root it and install a custom recovery like CWM
also if its possible to update it to KitKat

what happend if the Knox flag triggers ? do my s4 bricks or something ? or it just voids the warranty, because i dont care about the warranty as im in another country.

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Just to answer your knox question. All it does is void warranty. You can still unlock root and flash Roms with Knox tripped.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

grdenrique

Mar 14, 2014
Just to answer your knox question. All it does is void warranty. You can still unlock root and flash Roms with Knox tripped.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks, now the only thing i wanna know before i root it is how do i check if the bootloader is locked ?

i read in the cf auto root web that if the phone has a locked bootloader it can brick the phone.

leaderbuilder

Thanks, now the only thing i wanna know before i root it is how do i check if the bootloader is locked ?

i read in the cf auto root web that if the phone has a locked bootloader it can brick the phone.
Do some more reading ALL over the forums here. So far our device doesn't have completely locked bootloader. just the knox flag.
It's actually very hard to truly brick this device. You may softbrick but that's easily recoverable.
There are posts on how to update to MF9, MK2 or NAE.
You can root any of those with the latest CF-Autoroot and add a custom recovery and flash a way compatible ROMs as per the OPs directions.
BUT PLEASE take some time to read, search and read some more. If you do you will surely get the most of your time and more importantly your device.
Good luck.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Looks to me like your phone is already rooted. Or at the least has been seriously messed with. You have 3 mismatches in the info you posted. MDC baseband with 4.3, then complilation of MK2. These are all different versions. You need to figure out the exact configuration of your phone before we can proceed with helping you.

grdenrique

Mar 14, 2014
Looks to me like your phone is already rooted. Or at the least has been seriously messed with. You have 3 mismatches in the info you posted. MDC baseband with 4.3, then complilation of MK2. These are all different versions. You need to figure out the exact configuration of your phone before we can proceed with helping you.

i copy it exactly from the cellphone, its there any way that info could be wrong ?

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Since it appears your phone may have been upgraded to MK2 at one point, you could try just downloading the full NAE (KIT KAT) tar file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2663619 and upgrading to NAE in one quick swoop. Then if you want to root it, you can use cf autoroot and go from there. If your phone has already been unlocked it should maintain the unlock even with the flashing of the stock tar.

walalm

Dec 21, 2010
Santo Domingo
Since it appears your phone may have been upgraded to MK2 at one point, you could try just downloading the full NAE (KIT KAT) tar file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2663619 and upgrading to NAE in one quick swoop. Then if you want to root it, you can use cf autoroot and go from there. If your phone has already been unlocked it should maintain the unlock even with the flashing of the stock tar.

Thank you very much for your response. Well, I'll tell you what happened: To sim-unlock that phone it was downgraded to MDC while using MK2 stock rom. My wife's L720 is in the same case and also a co-worker is in the same situation. So now my question is, is there any problem upgrading it to kitkat (NAE) knowing that my wife doesn't uses the rooted rom?

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Thank you very much for your response. Well, I'll tell you what happened: To sim-unlock that phone it was downgraded to MDC while using MK2 stock rom. My wife's L720 is in the same case and also a co-worker is in the same situation. So now my question is, is there any problem upgrading it to kitkat (NAE) knowing that my wife doesn't uses the rooted rom?

No problem at all, just use the link I referenced earlier and flash using Odin. This will upgrade your phone to kit kat and you won't loose and data.

walalm

Dec 21, 2010
Santo Domingo
No problem at all, just use the link I referenced earlier and flash using Odin. This will upgrade your phone to kit kat and you won't loose and data.

Confirmed, flashed my co-worker's phone and everything is working fine (I was unlocked using that downgrade) and remain unlocked.

Thank you very much, the next step is flash my wife's one.