Tablet for handwriting in the university

Search This thread

momsi

Jul 17, 2013
Hi guys,

I need a Tablet (with full windows) for the university (actually my girlfriend, I've got an x230t), its also thought to replace a laptop, so it should be able to stream HD videos flawlessly.

For the handwriting in the university I definitely need a digitizer. I looked at the Dell Venue 11 Pro, the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 and the Surface Pro.

Well, the Dell was my favorite so far, but it seems to have big problems with it's pen. Even the revision of the pen seems to write very shakey and wobbly. It has that Synaptic digitizer, so you need a battery in the Pen .... wich is quite annoying.

The ThinkPad Tablet 2's hardware is not so great...... but therefor it has a Wacom digitizer, which is extremely good, very precise and you can use all the wacom pens and dont need a battery.... but the hardware, not so great cpu, crappy gpu .... since it has full win8 thats not very good for future perspectives.

the surface pro, well .... heard no complaints or con arguments .... but the battery life .... 3-4h is just far to less and since there is no way to power it by an external battery the surface pro is out. (and the surface pro 2 has better battery life, but it also costs quite more).

Are there any alternatives? which of the above would you recommend ?

Thanks for your help in advance ;)

bassie1995

Jan 9, 2011
Delft
You're looking for the single most expensive type of portable tech, which is honestly still in its early stages...

I think the Surface 2 is your best bet. They come with different hardware configs, of course, so maybe try to save some in that department?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

momsi

Jul 17, 2013
Yes, I know, I still find it very interesting, that there are so less devices of that type, since at least in German Universities one year ago nobody used electronic devices for handwriting... Now it's like 30% of the students. There is money to be made, companies!

Well, I like the surface pro 2... But it costs almost twice as much as the other devices. In Germany there are special offers for students, Dell and Lenovo cost like 400€ and the surface pro 2 almost 800€.... And the surface pro (1) is out because of the insufficient battery life.

momsi

Jul 17, 2013
It should be Windows, thing is, she has a note 10.1, but she wants one device to replace all the others. So, a pen enabled Windows tablet... ;)

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
It should be Windows, thing is, she has a note 10.1, but she wants one device to replace all the others. So, a pen enabled Windows tablet... ;)

I don't think there's a tablet out currently that is as optimized for the use of a Wacom Stylus(S-Pen) like the Galaxy Note series of devices. Good luck with your search.
However, you can also check here.

Last edited:

momsi

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks for the link.

The ThinkPad tablet has a Wacom digitizer, like my x230t, that I'm very happy with. But that's to chunky and heavy for my girlfriend. She wants a tablet. Like I said, she has a note 10.1 and is fairly satisfied with it, but since she wants to replace the laptop, she wants Windows