Help with Rooting 4.4.2

Search This thread

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
So I had 4.1.2 on my phone and rooted with no problems, but now that I updated to 4.4.2 and lost my root... I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get root back again. Anyone help me please?

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Well I got impatient and found something called towelroot and root checker now says I am rooted, but I cannot get CWM installed. Using both Odin 307 and 309 I boot into downloading mode and odin fails and I see red error saying "secure check fail: recovery"

Any help?

jcbjoe

Apr 17, 2011
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 7
Well I got impatient and found something called towelroot and root checker now says I am rooted, but I cannot get CWM installed. Using both Odin 307 and 309 I boot into downloading mode and odin fails and I see red error saying "secure check fail: recovery"

Any help?

If you go to settings > about phone build and based band ending in ML1 NC1 NE1 have looked bootloader a meaning you can't install custom rims .. You will have to root / install safestrap and boot custom tw Roms since you are on 4.4.2 you have to wait for a 4.4.2 tw rom I don't think any are out yet

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014

Any help?

Since we can't install custom roms, I found this xposed module called Wanam Xposed. I'm not even rooted yet but I was going to with towelroot. Anyway, it lets you customize certain looks of the stock rom without modifying anything. You need the Xposed Framework first and then you can get Wanam Xposed.

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Since we can't install custom roms, I found this xposed module called Wanam Xposed. I'm not even rooted yet but I was going to with towelroot. Anyway, it lets you customize certain looks of the stock rom without modifying anything. You need the Xposed Framework first and then you can get Wanam Xposed.

Yea I am just going to be as patient as possible till I can unlock the bootloader. How long does it usually take for the tech geniuses to figure this kind of stuff out? I'm wishing I hadn't updated 4.4.2 now... (slaps forehead) :(

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014
Yea I am just going to be as patient as possible till I can unlock the bootloader. How long does it usually take for the tech geniuses to figure this kind of stuff out? I'm wishing I hadn't updated 4.4.2 now... (slaps forehead) :(
Unless if the file leaks from Samsung like it did on 4.1.2, it won't ever get unlocked

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Unless if the file leaks from Samsung like it did on 4.1.2, it won't ever get unlocked

EEEEeeeeek! Don't say things like that! LOL

Anyway... I guess if worse comes to worse, shouldn't a Factory Reset take me back to 4.1.2? And then I would be able to try out one of the 4.4.3 CM Nightly builds :)

Mon431

Feb 25, 2014
EEEEeeeeek! Don't say things like that! LOL

Anyway... I guess if worse comes to worse, shouldn't a Factory Reset take me back to 4.1.2? And then I would be able to try out one of the 4.4.3 CM Nightly builds :)
A factory reset will reset your phone like it's new but it'll stay on the same version. For example, if you updated to 4.3 and then did a factory reset, you be on 4.3 but your phone would be reset.

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Son of a biscuit lol.... maybe if I dunk in the toilet it will revert back to 4.1.2? LMAO! Man... being impatient really put the screws to myself.

sbenson1226

Mar 24, 2011
DC
Son of a biscuit lol.... maybe if I dunk in the toilet it will revert back to 4.1.2? LMAO! Man... being impatient really put the screws to myself.

Yeah, once you update to 4.4.2 you're stuck. You will NEVER be able to go back and you'll never be able to flash a custom recovery. It's Touchwiz from here on out for you.

I feel for you, but it's pretty universally known that you don't take OTA's from Verizon OR Samsung because they usually close up loop holes.

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Yeah, once you update to 4.4.2 you're stuck. You will NEVER be able to go back and you'll never be able to flash a custom recovery. It's Touchwiz from here on out for you.

I feel for you, but it's pretty universally known that you don't take OTA's from Verizon OR Samsung because they usually close up loop holes.

That seems to be a little presumptuous saying "never". Software is software... which to me means "if there is a will, there is a way", in regards to hacking/cracking it. And if I get that hard pressed to want the ability to tinker with roms I can always just sell the phone and buy one thats not been updated to 4.4.2. All I can say right now being a newb to all this stuff is "lesson learned and stored in memory for future use". :good:

sbenson1226

Mar 24, 2011
DC
That seems to be a little presumptuous saying "never". Software is software... which to me means "if there is a will, there is a way", in regards to hacking/cracking it. And if I get that hard pressed to want the ability to tinker with roms I can always just sell the phone and buy one thats not been updated to 4.4.2. All I can say right now being a newb to all this stuff is "lesson learned and stored in memory for future use". :good:

It's not really presumptuous, it's the truth. Samsung and Verizon are hell bent on keeping their bootloaders locked down. The S5 hasn't been cracked. The S4 cannot be cracked, after MDK. The S3 cannot be cracked after 4.2.1. The S3 was pure luck because somebody inside of Samsung leaked what we needed. The only way it will ever be cracked is if Samsung themselves hand us the code. Never going to happen again. Sorry, it's the hard truth. If you want to tinker, don't buy a Verizon phone and don't buy a Samsung.

Reactions: BadUsername

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
What exactly is even the reasoning behind locking the bootloader? I mean, I know they don't want people messing with their software.. but WHY? Are they not already making their profits by selling the phone? Just can't wrap my head around companies that want to limit a consumers options. That would be like buy a computer with for example Windows 8 on it and being told there is no way to remove it and install Windows 7. If I can have whatever OS I want on my computer... then how is that any different then a phone which nowadays is pretty much a handheld computer.

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
It's not really presumptuous, it's the truth. Samsung and Verizon are hell bent on keeping their bootloaders locked down. The S5 hasn't been cracked. The S4 cannot be cracked, after MDK. The S3 cannot be cracked after 4.2.1. The S3 was pure luck because somebody inside of Samsung leaked what we needed. The only way it will ever be cracked is if Samsung themselves hand us the code. Never going to happen again. Sorry, it's the hard truth. If you want to tinker, don't buy a Verizon phone and don't buy a Samsung.

Maybe you (or someone else) can explain to me what options if any I have for unlocked bootloader capability for S3 and S4? Like whats the final software version number that still allows unlocking the bootloader, what if any carrier specific options have it unlocked or able to be. Like you mentioned the S5 not being cracked but I read through a thread on here dating back to just this past May and confirming unlocked bootloader for S5 T-Mobile. S5 is out of my price range, but the S3 and S4 I can pick up at a reasonable price... just need the proper information so I can be sure Im not getting something thats going to stick me with a locked boot. Thanks :)

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
What exactly is even the reasoning behind locking the bootloader? I mean, I know they don't want people messing with their software.. but WHY? Are they not already making their profits by selling the phone? Just can't wrap my head around companies that want to limit a consumers options. That would be like buy a computer with for example Windows 8 on it and being told there is no way to remove it and install Windows 7. If I can have whatever OS I want on my computer... then how is that any different then a phone which nowadays is pretty much a handheld computer.
Locking the bootloader means added profit on verizons end. You have less access to features that get baked into a custom rom that we bypass, such as free tethering and simply making a device better than stock. Verizon wants this.

The less debloating and access to modified firmware available means they make more money on services people have to pay for.

Verizon will tell you it's better for consumers because it adds to your customer service experience. If you have a problem, and need help, then they are more likely to be able to help you knowing you are not running modified firmware that could give you a less than par experience. They will also add that using unapproved software could negatively impact their network (ie: tethering) and cause problems for other consumers.

There may be some truth in that, but without the ability to flash a new rom you essentially limit your software abilities and limit the life of the phone. It forces people to buy their services and extend their plan more often.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

The t-mobile variant for both the s3 and s4 have unlocked bootloaders on every device. None of them will work on verizons network. Every Verizon Samsung phone is completely locked down.

The last available firmware that can be unlocked on the S3 is mf1. The s4's is MDK or something but that's way harder to find. There is no unlock method for the s5.
Maybe you (or someone else) can explain to me what options if any I have for unlocked bootloader capability for S3 and S4? Like whats the final software version number that still allows unlocking the bootloader, what if any carrier specific options have it unlocked or able to be. Like you mentioned the S5 not being cracked but I read through a thread on here dating back to just this past May and confirming unlocked bootloader for S5 T-Mobile. S5 is out of my price range, but the S3 and S4 I can pick up at a reasonable price... just need the proper information so I can be sure Im not getting something thats going to stick me with a locked boot. Thanks :)

sbenson1226

Mar 24, 2011
DC

If you're looking to stay with Verizon, I would keep an eye out for a GS4 with the MDK firmware. I see them pop up from time to time on Swappa, but never in the condition I'm looking for (looking to upgrade my wife). Other than that, your best bet is to leave Verizon and buy unlocked phones because at least they don't have additional carrier restrictions.

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Locking the bootloader means added profit on verizons end. You have less access to features that get baked into a custom rom that we bypass, such as free tethering and simply making a device better than stock. Verizon wants this.

The less debloating and access to modified firmware available means they make more money on services people have to pay for.

Verizon will tell you it's better for consumers because it adds to your customer service experience. If you have a problem, and need help, then they are more likely to be able to help you knowing you are not running modified firmware that could give you a less than par experience. They will also add that using unapproved software could negatively impact their network (ie: tethering) and cause problems for other consumers.

There may be some truth in that, but without the ability to flash a new rom you essentially limit your software abilities and limit the life of the phone. It forces people to buy their services and extend their plan more often.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

The t-mobile variant for both the s3 and s4 have unlocked bootloaders on every device. None of them will work on verizons network. Every Verizon Samsung phone is completely locked down.

The last available firmware that can be unlocked on the S3 is mf1. The s4's is MDK or something but that's way harder to find. There is no unlock method for the s5.

Appreciate the response... but now you also mention the S5 having "no unlock"... what about this thread... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711730

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
If you're looking to stay with Verizon, I would keep an eye out for a GS4 with the MDK firmware. I see them pop up from time to time on Swappa, but never in the condition I'm looking for (looking to upgrade my wife). Other than that, your best bet is to leave Verizon and buy unlocked phones because at least they don't have additional carrier restrictions.

What exactly id MDK? 4.2.2? And yea I really don't care what carrier I am with, I just want a phone I can tinker with and I been getting "tinker withdrawal" since upgrading to 4.4.2 :(

Out of curiosity, what other phones are worth looking into that are comparable to the S3 and S4? It sucks when I am a diehard Samsung lover.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah ok... when someone makes a generalized non carrier specific comment like the "S5 is locked" I just automatically assume they are saying all variations and carriers.

Now aside from Verizon versions of Samsung devices, are most if not all other carriers models have an unlocked bootloader or the ability to be unlocked? Now that I think about it, it's a shame there isn't a running list of model/carrier/android version/root/bootloader status.

There doesn't have to be a running list. You could research all this, all the information is out there. If anyone States "the S5 has an unlocked bootloader" you can take it to mean they're discussing the international version. There are many additional carrier versions that that wouldn't describe.

Verizon has always had locked bootloaders, AT&T have recently started locking their phones, t-mobile and sprint generally have unlocked bootloaders.

As far as brands go, htc and Motorola generally have highly encrypted bootloaders, while samsungs don't, but recently Samsung has been tying their bootloader into the kernel which makes downgrading impossible. Samsung has traditionally always been developer friendly, even on Verizon, until the s3 came out. All of this doesn't matter if you're on Verizon, every single phone is going to have an encrypted bootloader lock.