[Q] Cannot boot into/install recovery

Search This thread

TheSZ11

Jun 5, 2014
The issue I'm having is, I can't get recovery to work. I have flashed it maybe 30 or so times and hasn't worked once.

Just RUU'd again so:
HBOOT: 1.10
CID: 11111111
Bootloader: unlocked
Security: Off

For some reason the time on the bootloader screen says nov 26 2012 :/

So here is what I've tried so far:

fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash recovery 'recovery.img'
fastboot erase cache

then rebooted and tried to go into recovery. Never goes to recovery. Just reboots into the rom. What am I doing wrong? how do I fix this? I've tried CWM and TWRP. Neither work. I've read through most of the recovery related threads in the forum and have done all of the steps mentioned in them!

I also tried updating firmware and then flashing earlier when it was hboot 2.14. Still no luck so I RUU'd again...

Reactions: marknoll

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Are u rebooting via adb?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

After flashing recovery ,choose reboot in bootloader. Let drivers install. Then power off device..hold power volume down til recovery.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

What Rom u on? Stock roms don't usually come with a reboot choser. If that's your case..download quick reboot from the market

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
The issue I'm having is, I can't get recovery to work. I have flashed it maybe 30 or so times and hasn't worked once.

Just RUU'd again so:

fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase cache

then rebooted and tried to go into recovery. Never goes to recovery. Just reboots into the rom. What am I doing wrong? how do I fix this? I've tried CWM and TWRP. Neither work. I've read through most of the recovery related threads in the forum and have done all of the steps mentioned in them!

I also tried updating firmware and then flashing earlier when it was hboot 2.14. Still no luck so I RUU'd again...

Exactly which recovery are you flashing? What's the exact filename? What method are you using to boot into the recovery?

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

...hold power volume down til recovery.

I just want to be clear so as not to create any confusion, the volume down + power button combination doesn't boot the phone to recovery, it boots the phone to the bootloader.

Sent from my Evita

TheSZ11

Jun 5, 2014
Are u rebooting via adb?

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

After flashing recovery ,choose reboot in bootloader. Let drivers install. Then power off device..hold power volume down til recovery.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

What Rom u on? Stock roms don't usually come with a reboot choser. If that's your case..download quick reboot from the market

1) Nope not via adb. rebooting via fastboot or manually. Although I did try adb and no dice.

2) What drivers are you talking about? And as for the rest of it, I don't think that's how it works :S Once the device is off, holding volume down doesn't take you to recovery. It goes to the bootloader and then you have to select recovery and go there. If you could clarify this part, it would be helpful.

3) On the stock Rogers version of the stock rom. 1.94 I think. And yeah there is no way to get to the recovery from within the rom. Have to reboot with volume down held down. Or try and do it through adb. Both of which I have tried, to no avail.

TheSZ11

Jun 5, 2014
Exactly which recovery are you flashing? What's the exact filename? What method are you using to boot into the recovery?

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

I just want to be clear so as not to create any confusion, the volume down + power button combination doesn't boot the phone to recovery, it boots the phone to the bootloader.

Sent from my Evita

Okay so I've tried many different recoveries. Here they are:

1) 2.7.0.0 and 2.7.1.0 both taken from here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/evita
2) 6.0.4.8 the touch version of the HTC One X(ATT) taken from here: https://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
3) and 2.7.0.8 unofficial taken from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738246

I tried them all with the same filename as downloaded and I tried them after changing the name to 'recovery'. The methods I've been using to boot into recovery are:

1) After flashing, type in fastboot reboot-bootloader and then select recovery.
2) From the rom, reboot phone and hold down the volume down button, then from bootloader select recovery.
3) From the rom, adb reboot recovery.

None of these work. The phone simply bypasses recovery and goes to the rom.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I only have one idea, and that's to run a much more recent RUU in the hope that updated firmware will fix your issue. You need updated firmware anyway, otherwise you won't be able to flash any current ROMs. You're s-off so you can run any Evita RUU regardless of the carrier, no locking of the bootloader is needed, just connect your phone and run it. The 3.18 at&t RUU is the one you want, you'll find it here:

http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_..._10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe

Once you've run the RUU, try flashing a recovery again and report back.

Sent from my Evita

TheSZ11

Jun 5, 2014
I only have one idea, and that's to run a much more recent RUU in the hope that updated firmware will fix your issue. You need updated firmware anyway, otherwise you won't be able to flash any current ROMs. You're s-off so you can run any Evita RUU regardless of the carrier, no locking of the bootloader is needed, just connect your phone and run it. The 3.18 at&t RUU is the one you want, you'll find it here:

http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_..._10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe

Sent from my Evita

THIS WORKED! I'm finally up and running. I've spent all day today essentially trying to solve this issue. Thanks so much!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Evita

Just RUU'd again so:

fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase cache