Root Sprint LG Optimus G (Windows Only / English)

Search This thread

AdriVelazquez

Jul 13, 2011
New York, NY
Hi All, Windows Only!

Since this hasn't been posted. Here's the steps to Root your device.

1. Install the LG driver. You're on your own with this one. Get it from LG Drivers
2. Download and unRar the attached file to your desktop.
3. On your phone, make sure USB debugging and allow unknown sources is checked.
4. Plug the phone into your computer, and make sure that Windows see the device's adb connection correctly.
5. Open the folder you extracted in step 2, and right click on the RootOptimusG.bat file. Choose Run as Administrator (If you're having trouble, don't run as admin)
6. You'll see this firs type the letter y, then enter.
7. When you see "Press any key to continue..." press any key.
8. You'll see it say "Restore my data" Look at your phone, tap the button that says " Restore my data".

The phone will reboot twice, be rooted, and ready for fun. To exit the DOS routine just press another key.

Here's the .bat script. Thanks to fiddy619 for translating.

Attachments

• RootOptimusG-English.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 20,043
Last edited:

twan2001

Jul 18, 2010
has anyone tried this? i'm scared to until i hear that someone else has had luck with it...

*edit

I sacked up and tried it and it worked like a charm. now if someone could only put out a 4.2 rom

Last edited:

djsamthrax

Jul 19, 2012
If you have total equipment protection you have nothing to lose

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

poopedtim

Oct 25, 2010
does this apply for macs also?? i know i know android and a mac user dont get me started...

edit: i would just like to root in order to get google now and the new 4.2 camera app. if anyone knows a way to achieve this not rooted please let me know!

Thanks for your time,
Tim

Last edited:

zacbec

Jan 18, 2011
Trying this on Windows 8 Pro x64. Unfortunately, I can't read Vietnamese, but I'm pretty sure it's throwing me an error. I have the proper drivers, adb recognizes my device, I have USB debugging enabled, I'm allowing third party APK installation, and I'm running the bat as admin. Anyone else having trouble rooting or know a solution for this?

**Edit**
Not sure why this worked, but I stopped adb and restarted adb with the exe found in the stuff subdirectory, and that seemed to fix things.
/Edit

Since I don't yet have 10 posts, I can't link the image, but here's the text i get when trying to root:

Code:
Nhan "y" neu ban muon root, nhan "n" de thoat:

Lua chon cua ban: y
Hay kiem tra lai cac cai dat 1 lan nua

The system cannot find the path specified.
Press any key to continue . . .

Chuan bi root may!

Dang cai dat busybox....
Dang cai dat su binary ....
Dang cai dat Superuser app
Dang chay busybox...
Nhan chon "Restore my data" tren man hinh dien thoai!
Dien thoai khoi dong lai, khong rut cap USB!
Dang hoan tat thu tuc root, may se khoi dong lai.
Root thanh cong!
Hay kiem tra bieu tuong SuperSU khi may khoi dong lai!

Last edited:

AdriVelazquez

Jul 13, 2011
New York, NY
Trying this on Windows 8 Pro x64. Unfortunately, I can't read Vietnamese, but I'm pretty sure it's throwing me an error. I have the proper drivers, adb recognizes my device, I have USB debugging enabled, I'm allowing third party APK installation, and I'm running the bat as admin. Anyone else having trouble rooting or know a solution for this?

**Edit**
Not sure why this worked, but I stopped adb and restarted adb with the exe found in the stuff subdirectory, and that seemed to fix things.
/Edit

Since I don't yet have 10 posts, I can't link the image, but here's the text i get when trying to root:

Code:
Nhan "y" neu ban muon root, nhan "n" de thoat:

Lua chon cua ban: y
Hay kiem tra lai cac cai dat 1 lan nua

Chuan bi root may!

Dang cai dat busybox....
Dang cai dat su binary ....
Dang cai dat Superuser app
Dang chay busybox...
Nhan chon "Restore my data" tren man hinh dien thoai!
Dien thoai khoi dong lai, khong rut cap USB!
Dang hoan tat thu tuc root, may se khoi dong lai.
Root thanh cong!
Hay kiem tra bieu tuong SuperSU khi may khoi dong lai!

When I used windows 8, don't run as administrator, and it should work.

mike1767

Oct 25, 2008
Does anybody know if any of the US companies' LG drivers will work to root a Bell activated Optimus G?

I've been wondering the same thing. For more info, we have the E973, which is kind of a mix of the Sprint and AT&T versions of the phone. We have the 8MP camera, but no SD slot.

Last edited:

Blurples

Nov 19, 2012
I rooted my sprint LGOG and found the notification menu very glitchy, along with the unlock screen and settings menu. I just wanted to know if anyone else is having these issues. I followed the guide in this thread, if it helps.

kschuyler

Oct 6, 2010
Ok, I also had to run the file in standard mode instead of Admin mode but after going through the process I cannot download anything from the Play Store. I just get an error saying it cannot download the application. Any ideas?

Thanks!

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
Ok, I also had to run the file in standard mode instead of Admin mode but after going through the process I cannot download anything from the Play Store. I just get an error saying it cannot download the application. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Settings. Apps. Market. Wipe cache. Force close. Reboot

kschuyler

Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm getting the same result unfortunately. Any other thoughts?

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Ok, ran the root about 5 times but looks like it's working now. Thanks for the help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All, Windows Only!

Since this hasn't been posted. Here's the steps to Root your device.

1. Install the LG driver. You're on your own with this one. Get it from LG Drivers
    2. Download and unRar the attached file to your desktop.
    3. On your phone, make sure USB debugging and allow unknown sources is checked.
    4. Plug the phone into your computer, and make sure that Windows see the device's adb connection correctly.
    5. Open the folder you extracted in step 2, and right click on the RootOptimusG.bat file. Choose Run as Administrator (If you're having trouble, don't run as admin)
    6. You'll see this firs type the letter y, then enter.
    7. When you see "Press any key to continue..." press any key.
    8. You'll see it say "Restore my data" Look at your phone, tap the button that says " Restore my data".

The phone will reboot twice, be rooted, and ready for fun. To exit the DOS routine just press another key.

Here's the .bat script. Thanks to fiddy619 for translating.
    OP, I re-wrote this batch file in English if you want to use it...
    Rooting - Bootloader unlocking - Custom Roms

Let me start by saying, THANK YOU OP!, and thanks for the English translation! My GNex is in for repair, and I am hoping it's bricked for life so I can upgrade to the LGOG (E971 Canadian), stupid hardware died 2 weeks before warranty.

I guess after reading this entire thread, I can't help but notice, how many people are not familiar with what "Rooting" a phone or "Unlocking" it means. Let me just chime in my 2 cents if you don't mind OP...

Root/Rooting/Rooted:
    You see when you get your phone, it's an operating system that has users. Like when you log on your PC. Linux users will get this right off, most Windows users never see this, it's transparent. Not sure about Mac's been 25 years since I used a Mac II :) Well, as you can imagine, a guest user on any PC can't really do much. You need to be an administrator to get much done. Well since Android is Linux based, the administrator account is called "Root". And that account is deliberately left off of your phone, so you cannot mess up your phone. Well "Rooting" your phone just means you are adding that account to your phone, so that you can do stuff on your phone as an administrator. Yes, it now means you can mess up your phone or another app that uses the "Root" account can mess up your phone. In many cases this will void your warranty, so be warned.

This is what this thread/OP is assisting you with. Thanks again OP.

Unlock/Unlocking/Unlocked:
    When your phone boots, the boot loader tells your phone to load up a specific ROM. This "BootLoader" is a free app that is modified for each specific piece of hardware/company rom flavor. In order to "Flash" a ROM on your phone, and have it load properly you need to "Unlock" the bootloader.

For help with this piece, please check out this thread here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2001655

Custom ROMS:

I haven't found any groups that have had a LGOG long enough to have come out with a custom ROM yet, however I think most promising threads I have found are from ASOP. If anyone has seen anything I have missed please PM me, thank you in advance.

!!!Please do not flash a relatively native ROM to your phone.!!! If it's not specific to your hardware you are asking for trouble. You have Root now, you have the power to do some very serious and irreversible damage to your phone. Now play safe!

If anyone has any questions, please address them and your gratitude to the original OPs of each respective thread. You are more then welcome to PM me, but again, I do not have a LGOG yet...the key word here is yet.

If this post has been helpful, you are welcome to hit the thanks button for me also ;)
    1. Use fiddy619 root from here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35520144
    2. "WiFi tether" from the Playstore.
    3. Can't help with that one.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium
    I had the same issue zacbec, I went and got the generic rooter from the referenced link the YT vid:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
    Use that tool & watch the video for instructions
    http://youtu.be/7EpkrCq1gfM?t=10m56s

& yes, it worked for me, I just had cold sweats when I saw the phone blank out & making noises...just let it ride...