1t7mm.jpg

-----------------

But:
-----------------
1t7g1.jpg

-----------------
1t7hB.jpg

-----------------

The OS itself might be using a portion of it that's not visible, however, I always have around 600MB+ in-use, even with bare Stock and AOSP... so I doubt this.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
It probably is the OS and kernel using up a chunk. Android 4.2 is pretty heavy.

Android also caches stuff in RAM that isnt even open, even right at boot. This is to help open those apps faster, but if something else needs that cached memory space then Android automatically drops the app in cache and uses it for whatever is needed.
Remember, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Looks to me like you have 600MB of waste :p

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Part of the 2GB DRAM is probably also shared with video memory and since the resolution is so high it's a big chunk.

Reactions: EniGmA1987

faithjano

Nov 19, 2012
same problem but not with nexus 4

Hi guys,
I have the same problem with my nexus 10, about 500-600 MB RAM lost..
The strange thing is that in my nexus 4 it recognize alla 2 GB RAM.
In my nexus 10 I have 2 users, do you think that can ne the cause?

Thanks

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Hi guys,
I have the same problem with my nexus 10, about 500-600 MB RAM lost..
The strange thing is that in my nexus 4 it recognize alla 2 GB RAM.
In my nexus 10 I have 2 users, do you think that can ne the cause?

Thanks
Multiuser doesn't have any effect; I've had about 1.6GB memory available on all custom ROM's and Kernels I've tried. The fact that the Nexus 4 displays all 2GB usable though does still raise the question as to why about 400MB is missing on the Nexus 10.

Part of the 2GB DRAM is probably also shared with video memory and since the resolution is so high it's a big chunk.
This might be a possibility; but I think at this point the Kernel source might be a good place to start digging for proof of whether this is happening or not.

Last edited:

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Some GPUs have dedicated memory and it does not share from the system RAM, our GPU shares and thus it takes a chunk of what we have available.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
If it makes you feel any better on my GSIII with CM10 its a 2GB device says 1630MB is available. Sounds normal with the N10 mine is the same

bioorganic

Nov 28, 2012
San Diego
I'm by no means an expert on this, but I dug into android memory management quite a bit when trying to optimize Shadowgun Deadzone performance. I don't think any of the apps measure memory used by native code. There's an adb command that will show you native memory use for an app, but I never dug that far into it. Again, I'm not a developer, but I assume your missing memory is being used by used by the parts android running native code. What's not clear to me is how android handles how much native memory an app can use. I got over my gaming fixation, but I'm still curious about this. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd love to hear it.

440hsp

Jun 9, 2011
Mine says 1gb used and 613mb free

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

penguintamer

Feb 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm by no means an expert on this, but I dug into android memory management quite a bit when trying to optimize Shadowgun Deadzone performance. I don't think any of the apps measure memory used by native code. There's an adb command that will show you native memory use for an app, but I never dug that far into it. Again, I'm not a developer, but I assume your missing memory is being used by used by the parts android running native code. What's not clear to me is how android handles how much native memory an app can use. I got over my gaming fixation, but I'm still curious about this. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd love to hear it.

I've checked /proc/meminfo and it looks like even the kernel doesn't see the full 2GB (assuming it is really there). MemTotal is 1,686,380 kB. Even if they were using 2GB==2,000,000,000 B, it's still missing over 150MB. I'd really like to know what is going on, but even Google support is completely clueless. :rolleyes:
I'll probably just return it for something that lets me use the amount of RAM advertised.

mieszk3

Nov 18, 2008
Poznan
About 160MB is taken by Android OS (kernel + necessary libraries). It's reserved only for the OS, so it's unavailable for the user. It's common for all Android devices I've had.
For example my i9001 (SGS+) has also missing ~160MB of RAM (should have 512MB, but has only ~350MB available for apps.

penguintamer

Feb 4, 2013
Seattle
If the video memory is shared at the hardware level, the number would make sense. What irks me is that I don't see that mentioned anywhere even on 'techie' blogs/reviews and even Google support doesn't know this about their device.
From what I understand, unless the kernel was modified to report less memory than is really available, meminfo should report the full amount accurately.

JarGnex

May 14, 2012
ybury4u3.jpg

I don't even get 1.6 GB of ram :(
Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dibblebill

Jun 3, 2012
Raleigh, NC
www.youtube.com
As an owner of a previous tablet, my Acer Iconia a500 reported (in 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2) that it only had 725MB of RAM (it shipped with 1GB). My guess is that the missing chunk is graphics memory. I also show 1.6GB of RAM in my Nexus 10.

dibblebill

Jun 3, 2012
Raleigh, NC
www.youtube.com
Awesome. Thanks for the explanation. I just noticed that after the CyanogenMod 4.2.2 patch, mine dropped as well. Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich must've reserved around 256MB of memory.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
Odd, seeing as how the N7 has 975/1024 available
And my nexus 4 has 1.8 of the 2gb available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    prior to 4.2.2, the GPU had 400-some MB reserved. At 4.2.2, there is almost an extra 400MB (386MB I think to be exact) reserved for the GPU, so 2GB - 800MB = 1.2GB

The extra GPU memory is to prevent userspace fragmentation if I read right.