Help Hard Bricked Oddity

Search This thread

PhillyKing

Jun 13, 2007
Philadelphia
Thanks for taking the time first!

I recently updated to CM10.2 but had issues that I overlooked. Those issues lead to my phone hard bricking... Completely black and no power.

After doing research, I found out about a Jig but while I was waiting for it come in the mail I found out about the SD Unbrick. I tried the SD Unbrick and the phone came back on! However, I got the following:

BOOT RECOVERY MODE
CHECK BOOT PARTITIONS
BOOT RECOVERY
WRITE 159488 sectors
FLASH WRITE FAILURE
ODIN MODE

PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS: NONE
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 1

and after trying to flash via ODIN - Odin says "there is no pit partition"

and the phone I get:
"ODIN: flash read failure" at the bottom

I got the Jig in the mail today and tried it without the SD and the phone wouldn't boot up.
However, and this weird part, if I have the SD Debricker in the phone and then use the Jig it boots up without me even having to touch the power button. Not sure what to do at this point?

From what I've read so far, the Warranty Bit: 0 might be my problem but I'm not sure? I can't get anything to install on the phone. I have yet to get the phone into a download mode that has the android mascot either.

Thanks for any all help!

Last edited:

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
You probably need the pit file. Thread in General section.

Flashing a PIT file does you no good if the phone can't read from or write to the internal storage.
I'm in the same boat, and this sounds like an eMMC failure.
I have not heard about anyone who has had success fixing this kind of brick, JTAG or otherwise.
I wish I had a RIFF box to test that theory, but I can't spend much more money to fix this.

[OT]I wish there was a way to disable Qualcomm Secure Boot (bootloader signature checking),
because that would allow us to use 4.1 debrick images with a 4.3 bootloader, cross-device bootloaders,
and possibly boot Android directly from the SD card, bypassing this useless brick "download" mode.
If Android booted, we might have low-level access to the eMMC, assuming the hardware still works. But no, Catch-22...[/OT]

DrGit

Jan 19, 2010
I've tried every combination I can think of: different PIT files, different debrick images, different versions of ODIN, repartition/no repartition, and I don't think any amount of fiddling with this useless "download mode" (I'm not convinced it's actually in download mode BTW) will make it flashable. I'd like to try JTAG or a low-level format, but both require eMMC hardware that isn't dead. Not being able to boot into Android like the debrick image is supposed to let you do is frustrating, because if it got as far as recovery mode I could at least poke at the eMMC.

OP, if JTAG is an option for you, don't expect it to work, but if you do try, let us know how it goes.
If this flash write failure is fixable with JTAG, I'd love to know - I'm just not prepared to pay shipping costs to send it in for JTAG repair when it's near certain that they won't be able to fix it without replacing the eMMC chip (expensive and risky) or the motherboard.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

However, and this weird part, if I have the SD Debricker in the phone and then use the Jig it boots up without me even having to touch the power button.

Can you clarify "boot"? Is it the same screen that says "BOOT RECOVERY MODE" at the top?
If you can boot into recovery or Android from the SD card, you may be able to poke at the eMMC and reset it.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If I'm not mistaken, a jig is supposed to automatically boot into download mode, and that's all. If you can boot with the sd debrick image, then inserting the jig should work normally.

When I got the sd debrick method working, I was able to fully boot system, recovery and download mode. Of course if you don't have a working system after attempting to flash over your last rom it won't boot that part, but you should be able to get to recovery.
Have you tried flashing just twrp or cwm via odin? Does it give the same message as you posted above?
If you can boot to a custom recovery, have you tried flashing another rom?

PhillyKing

Jun 13, 2007
Philadelphia
Can you clarify "boot"? Is it the same screen that says "BOOT RECOVERY MODE" at the top?
If you can boot into recovery or Android from the SD card, you may be able to poke at the eMMC and reset it.

Yes, when it "boots" up it says "BOOT RECOVERY MODE" -- I don't have nor get the Android mascot either.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Oh man....I remember in the note3 forums people mentioned they needed a properly signed pit.....I hope that this isnt the case for us on 4.3! Search for a program called pit magic. I dont know if it can help or not, but its worth a try.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Youll have to read up on the thread. I dont know much about it, just that it may have the potential to help.
Ive never needed to use it myself, but ive directed others there and it helped some and didnt help others...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk