How to root the Droid 2

Search This thread

djh816

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 26, 2009
Did you add any steps to mount the system? I don't believe I did, but it seems others are finding it to be read-only.

I did on a mac and for whatever reason, once i did get the # for root term (even after you get $, WAIT people. It WILL return you to native command line), if I exited, it wouldn't be root anymore so I had to just copy the files to sdcard, manually remount the system (i just did "mount -o remount,rw /system /system") and then copy su, superuser.apk, and busybox into their locations.

ljbaumer

Apr 3, 2010
California
you could try adb remount if you system is read-only, when my eris was on read-only i would just do an adb remount and then go about whatever i was doing before and it makes adb able to read-write.

this should work but i can't help you if it dosen't.

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
Ok, edited the original post to add the mounting steps. If you have already run the commands but got stuck at adb push, do the following:

- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

Let me know if that solves it.

djh816

Jul 26, 2009
you could try adb remount if you system is read-only, when my eris was on read-only i would just do an adb remount and then go about whatever i was doing before and it makes adb able to read-write.

this should work but i can't help you if it dosen't.

for me, i lost root when exiting from the adb shell. this was not an option at that point. it seems like the xploit let me have one shot when i'd execute it so I had to just remount from the shell and use term commands to 'cat' the files into their locations. (for anyone who doesnt know, cat usage: "cat origfile > /new/newfile")

djh816

Jul 26, 2009
Ok, edited the original post to add the mounting steps. If you have already run the commands but got stuck at adb push, do the following:

- adb push su /sdcard/su
- exit
- exit

you left out the exploit part :p but yes other than that, i did that exact same procedure on mac just fine. guys, please send any donations posible to sebastien. he really went out of his way for this :)

csscmaster3

Aug 25, 2010

- adb push su /sdcard/su
- exit
- exit

It allowed me to copy Superuser.apk, will update post after

Edit: I was able to copy everything over now. And tested with Setcpu. Works well. Thanks!

Last edited:

djh816

Jul 26, 2009
also, Koush said he would be working on Clockworkmod for Droid 2 tonight. We still need to possibly get birdman to help with it if it'd different than Droid X but should be happening soon

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
you left out the exploit part :p but yes other than that, i did that exact same procedure on mac just fine.
Well I meant it only for the guys that have already run the binary.. unless I'm missing something else.

guys, please send any donations posible to sebastien. he really went out of his way for this :)
Absolutely. I take no credit for this - please donate to Mr. Krahmer for his work.

djh816

Jul 26, 2009
Same problem here.

Tried new solution, now it says Permission denied.

push the .bin file and execute like it says. then wait till it brings you back COMPLETELY (in my case it went ended the program on android and then i had to wait another 10 seconds for it to kick me out to the command line on my os x machine). then you just need to do "adb shell". Then you should have the # and you will have one shot (at least that was my experience) to enter all the commands as root. Once you exit adb, it will go back to normal though so if you didn't copy the items, you may need to restart phone and do exploit again.

thelolotov

Nov 27, 2009
Ehh, I'm just gonna wait for the inevitable GUI tool, thanks for the hard work though, and to Sebastian.

KnightCrusader

Nov 16, 2008
Muhahahaha! ITS ALIVE! I HAVE HARNESSED THE POWER OF ROOT!

Sorry, I have been waiting 2 weeks to say that. :)

Thanks guys, for all the hard work on this. The updated instructions worked like a charm!

jerseyh22accord

Jun 5, 2010
I must be completely retarded cause i cant get past c:/droid2root. When i do the adb push after that i get that adb is not a command

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit for the binary goes to Sebastian Krahmer at http://c-skills.blogspot.com/. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

If you want a simpler 'one-click' process, go to this thread: Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
    - Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
    - Open command prompt
    - cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to c:/Droid2Root
    - cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb kill-server
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- exit
    - exit

I'm sure there are certain steps that could be streamlined or eliminated, so please feel free to make a suggestion and I'll edit the post.

Additional thanks to @rainabba and AllDroid.org for their excellent Droid X rooting tutorial, which assisted me greatly in this process.
    waiting for a recovery, glad to see its rooted
    can someone point me in the right direction. after running doroot.bin, everything gets pushed to the phone but when the adb server restarts and tries to reconect, it cant because adb devices shows that the device is "offline". and the only way to get the device back to "device" state is to reboot the phone, which reverses everything that was done prior

EDIT: i found out a solution. I failed to realise that i was on the gingerbread update, I used this and it worked
    http://www.psouza4.com/droid3/
    ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click application to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)