[Q] OTA update to 4.4.2 and preserve root?

Search This thread

hinsdale1

Oct 13, 2012
I rooted wife's Nexus 7 sometime in last year (or so) so that she could play movies/tv-shows from an attached flash drive (using Stickmount).

First off, i don't need the root for anything else.. is rooting still required to be able to access/play video from an attached flash drive (without copying it first from the flashdrive to your nexus)?

If still needed then I would like to preserve the root.

She informs me that there is a notification for pending software 4.4.2 update ready to install (apparently been there for months) . Is there an easy way to install the OTA 4.4.2 update and preserve my root? So i dont have to re-root the device?

Thanks in advance to any that are kind enough to offer suggestions!

hinsdale1

Oct 13, 2012
Well i got impatient and loaded TWRP manager but miss understood the part about requiring superSU Pro to retain root and wound up installing the update and wiping out root access.

What i didn't realize (or remember) is that the device is not re-locked so can re-root the device using wugfreshs nexus root toolkit (took couple minutes) without losing anything.

So wife is happy camper

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Well i got impatient and loaded TWRP manager but miss understood the part about requiring superSU Pro to retain root and wound up installing the update and wiping out root access.

What i didn't realize (or remember) is that the device is not re-locked so can re-root the device using wugfreshs nexus root toolkit (took couple minutes) without losing anything.

So wife is happy camper

You didn't need the toolkit. All you needed was the super su zip and flash it in recovery...

Sent from my Nexus 5

hinsdale1

Oct 13, 2012
You didn't need the toolkit. All you needed was the super su zip and flash it in recovery...

Sent from my Nexus 5

For future i would like to learn this (sorry i only work on her nexus for a few minutes a year so very unfamiliar with the hacks)

I found the newest super su zip relatively easily.. but the "flash it in recovery" part needs a little more step-by-step instruction for the unbaptized.

Thanks for the help.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
For future i would like to learn this (sorry i only work on her nexus for a few minutes a year so very unfamiliar with the hacks)

I found the newest super su zip relatively easily.. but the "flash it in recovery" part needs a little more step-by-step instruction for the unbaptized.

Thanks for the help.

You should spend a few minutes reading some of the sticky threads we have around here. Everything has already been laid out for you in them

Sent from my Nexus 5